• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do You Tell N from S?

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Btw, I often find the T/F dichotomy the hardest tot figure out. Does anyone know if there's a thread on that one?

Snow Turtle

Btw, I often find the T/F dichotomy the hardest tot figure out. Does anyone know if there's a thread on that one?

Really?

You can usually tell by the focus and interest of an individual. Even the most friendly ISTJs I knew had a distinct politeness vibe rather than an extremely person-oriented vibe.

Then again I might need to meet some feelers that aren't interested in people. I'm sure there are people out there like this, and it'd be quite interesting to see whether the T/F is confused in those scenarios.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

F types have great difficulty dumping relationships... more emotionally sensitive (not in a freak out way - but sensitive towards other people feelings). T types can be emotional, sometimes very so, but they dont' make decisions emotionally, they will make difficult choices....

A fair few F type managers I know can't fire people... (on one occation an otherwise good business man limits his business sucess because the overall quality of outcome is inconsistant)...

F types often use feeling based language..... like asking how do you feel about that - rather than what do you think.... they personalise.

T types usualyl ahve to learn to be personable around their business... so they send factual emails without they "Hi you did you have a good weekend" will read, please cna you forward me.... they ahve to work at social nicesties.

sleepy

Sorry, disagree there .. I would like to think a balanced sensor will openly listen to any ideas, toy with it and see if it can be molded to their own style of thinking. If your idea stands weight even after i have criticized it and you have shown it is still valid, then i will most definitely take more heed to it.
The idea is that S relay on what is known to work, experiences, even theories. Surely will listen to it if not under pressure. But being exposed in the field at the moment. You will see sensors being way more reluctant to test out a new idea, just to do it. If the old works fine. Especially if the new idea is a bad one. Ns probably will do it just for fun, and the variation, even if the work will come to a total stop. Remember, we are talking about tendencies/preferences. Not absolutes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
F types have great difficulty dumping relationships... more emotionally sensitive (not in a freak out way - but sensitive towards other people feelings). T types can be emotional, sometimes very so, but they don't make decisions emotionally, they will make difficult choices....

A fair few F type managers I know can't fire people... (on one occasion an otherwise good business man limits his business success because the overall quality of outcome is inconsistent)...

F types often use feeling based language..... like asking how do you feel about that - rather than what do you think.... they personalize.

T types usually have to learn to be personable around their business... so they send factual emails without they "Hi you did you have a good weekend" will read, please can you forward me.... they have to work at social niceties.

Some of this sounds like Fe more so than Fi. I had to learn social niceties also. My emails/phone calls to clients tend to dive right to the point & people found it rude :blush: .

Snow Turtle

Some of this sounds like Fe more so than Fi. I had to learn social niceties also. My emails/phone calls to clients tend to dive right to the point & people found it rude :blush: .

Even the personalisation part?

Usually that's a pretty good indicator. Course the only way you'll see something like that, is if you know the other person well.

ElusiveRain

MBTI Type
INFP
I'd say that we are who we are. Throwing grid lines over perception just confuses insight. No one needs to know if a person is S/N. Isn't what they say/do far more important than trying to divine some non-existent abstraction?

You might as well dwell on what color their soul is...

I agree that, in general, it does not matter what MBTI type a person is, but what kind of person they are (what they say/do). However, if a pair of people will be spending the rest of their lives together, an 'N' ought to be aware that he/she will be unable to ever connect on an intangible level with the other if their preference is 'S'. This is a very real, experience driven finding from my own life :doh:.

sleepy

However, if a pair of people will be spending the rest of their lives together, an 'N' ought to be aware that he/she will be unable to ever connect on an intangible level with the other if their preference is 'S'. This is a very real, experience driven finding from my own life :doh:.
That sucks. Don't think it goes the other way around. I mostly find Ns to be funny. Disadvantage for the Ns then.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Excellent use of Si^

And this was proper use of Ne and Ti - FYI.

Weren't you just saying that functional theory doesn't add up?

btw, it's not Si if I don't have any direct experience with you personally. Since I'm generalizing across MBTI types, it's Ne because I'm looking for a pattern between one ISFP and another one without any direct evidence that this will apply to you.

Recalling that it didn't work with the last ISFP I talked to about this was much more indicative of Si.

So Jung should clear this up nicely then? If so, I'm getting my butt into some research.

Yup, once you understand the two different forms of S/N/T/F and realize that E, P, I and J aren't actually functions but just attitudes for the functions, things will make way more sense.

(Unlike people who claim that function theory doesn't add up and then use it to [inaccurately] correct my assessments.)

sleepy

Weren't you just saying that functional theory doesn't add up?

btw, it's not Si if I don't have any direct experience with you personally. Since I'm generalizing across MBTI types, it's Ne because I'm looking for a pattern between one ISFP and another one without any direct evidence that this will apply to you.
There is a difference between functions and function theory. Sosionics got it more right then mbti imo. But have not trashed the functions themselves. Flak Jacks theory on this board is also quiet good. Only he mixed up Ni, Ne and lots of stuff in application. But the idea is a nice step in the right direction.

You did not use Ne. Failed to keep an open mind. And made conclusions based on past experiences and knowledge. Textbook Si imo. Not even a trace of Ne. Ne and Ti you would have have picked my idea apart objectively instead of subjectively as you did. Even if I'm isfp I appreciate sound objective analyses when discussing external stuff.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting .. I would of thought i am a hardcore S, although i am being told differently by someone i am rather close to. OK. I do think we (I) can get stuck in a particular mindset and become narrow minded but due to the people we interact with and our surroundings, we become more open minded over time.
I try to find meaning and symbolism in all that i do until my head hurts and i realise i have been spending far to much time thinking thus need to start doing.

I think we only become better in ourselves when we open up to other possibilities and actually learn from our mistakes in life.

+1 :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get really stuck on the dichotomy itself. I look for the functions specifically- Ni, Ne, Si, Se. That's all S/N really is.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is a difference between functions and function theory. Sosionics got it more right then mbti imo. But have not trashed the functions themselves. Flak Jacks theory on this board is also quiet good. Only he mixed up Ni, Ne and lots of stuff in application. But the idea is a nice step in the right direction.

You did not use Ne. Failed to keep an open mind. And made conclusions based on past experiences and knowledge. Textbook Si imo. Not even a trace of Ne. Ne and Ti you would have have picked my idea apart objectively instead of subjectively as you did. Even if I'm isfp I appreciate sound objective analyses when discussing external stuff.

This is nonsensical enough that I'm convinced you have no idea what you're talking about and am no longer interested in discussing this with you.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yup, once you understand the two different forms of S/N/T/F and realize that E, P, I and J aren't actually functions but just attitudes for the functions, things will make way more sense.

So S/N/T/F are verbs, while E/I/P/J are adjectives?

Windigo

F types have great difficulty dumping relationships... more emotionally sensitive (not in a freak out way - but sensitive towards other people feelings). T types can be emotional, sometimes very so, but they dont' make decisions emotionally, they will make difficult choices....

A fair few F type managers I know can't fire people... (on one occation an otherwise good business man limits his business sucess because the overall quality of outcome is inconsistant)...

F types often use feeling based language..... like asking how do you feel about that - rather than what do you think.... they personalise.

T types usualyl ahve to learn to be personable around their business... so they send factual emails without they "Hi you did you have a good weekend" will read, please cna you forward me.... they ahve to work at social nicesties.

This is very insightful . . . thanks again, Tink.

I have learned to be personable because it is what people expect of me.

I handle all personal relationships very logically in a business like fashion. Although I am VERY sentimental and even passionate, I am on reserve until certain criteria have been met.

As for the S/N thing I'll leave you with the words of my saintly old mother. "Why the hell would I care what's at the end of the Universe? Is it going to help me pay my bills? Go ask your father these things!"

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
These all are generalities but...look at the eyes. Ss tend to be more visual. Often there seems to be more of a glossy sheen to them or starry eyes. Ns often have deeper inward or more soul piercing outward eyes. Both types of eyes can be beautiful.

Also I tend to notice that Ss visual nature is often illustrated in there words more. An S/sensory will say "I see what you mean" and NTs tend to be more auditory and NF in particular tend to be more kino. These the NT/auditory will say more often "I hear what was said" and the NF will say more often "I understand this makes a person feel"

And as noted Ss seem more interested in people name brands and name dropping

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I/E, J/P, T/F are often fairly apparent after you meet someone a few times

but I've known people for years I can't tell if they're N or S

being handy is one indicator, but not always apparent from typical office/party/playing sports activities

many Ns, like me, don't walk around discussing theories, and some people who seem like Ss do, so that doesn't really seem to work

not enough evidence in daily life for me, how do you tell?

I often have a difficult time with this as well. I am better at all of this with Ts than Fs, maybe due to more practice. Basically, in getting to know the person, I try and understand how their mind works. Is their thought process more random, connecting the dots, or future oriented (N) or is it more factual, specific, and based on past history (S). You can try and get clues related to this based on how they talk but it is not always easy because people use their left or right hand to fit the specific situation.

Another clue - Ns finish other people's sentences