• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aggressive Se

Afkan

According to Wikipedia (regarding socionics and cognitive functions) Se attributes aggressive and territorial traits.

I have noticed some serious aggression and territorial-ism in my personality...although as a child these traits were definitely not present. I wonder if childhood Se-users, while recollecting, would use the words "aggressive and territorial" to describe themselves.

Also, I work with mostly Si users. None of the Si users ever appear aggressive or territorial, unless they are at the end of their rope. They seem to prefer not to use such behaviors, and begin to look sometimes terrified, sometimes in awe when I do. I am still learning to use such behaviors appropriately; I believe they can be appropriate and used in a manner which allows all parties to leave with self-respect.

I am interested in what others think about the presence of aggression and territorial-ism in their own personality traits.

"Se is responsible for the perception, control, defense, and acquisition of space, territory, and control. It observes outward appearances, estimates whether forces are in alignment or conflict, and uses strength of will and power-based methods to achieve purposes. Se understands territory and physical aggression." -Wikipedia, "Socionics", Information Elements

The description of Si is rather interesting too.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'd say that if there was any type that's likely to duke it out at a drunken frat party, it'd be an ESxP. Se is responsible for gut reactions, and that can definitely be manifested as aggression. "I'm really mad at this guy, my gut is telling me to punch him, *BAM!*"

Also, Se is responsible for valuing material possessions that bring some sort of physical delight or contribute to one's "coolness", and this can cause a sense of territorialism as well. Over the top Se is selfish and brutal.

Afkan

I'd say that if there was any type that's likely to duke it out at a drunken frat party, it'd be an ESxP. Se is responsible for gut reactions, and that can definitely be manifested as aggression. "I'm really mad at this guy, my gut is telling me to punch him, *BAM!*"

True.

Also, Se is responsible for valuing material possessions that bring some sort of physical delight or contribute to one's "coolness", and this can cause a sense of territorialism as well. Over the top Se is selfish and brutal.

Yes, this is definitely a possibility.

As an Si-user, do you feel uneasy when Se is used?

Here's the comparative description of Si, just for kix:
"Si is responsible for perception of physical sensations; questions of comfort, coziness, and pleasure; and a sense of harmony and acclimation with one's environment (especially physical). Si understand how well a person or thing's behavior agrees with its nature as well as the differences between comfortable behaviors and positions and uncomfortable ones." -Wikipedia, "Socionics", Information Elements

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
As an Si-user, do you feel uneasy when Se is used?

Well, I'd hardly call myself an "Si user." You are using that term lightly, as it's an inferior function for me, and it's really only manifested as a slight tinge of comfortable nostalgia every now and then. Get back to me in 10 years when I start giving more thought to my Si though. ;)

On another note, I would say that Se makes me uncomfortable. I guess if there was one function that I truly fear, that'd be Se. It's just so impulsive, physical, and risky, and it makes me feel tense around people with that kind of Se.

I also don't really get along on a deep level with most SPs. They are just so much more caught up in *doing* something tangible, while I'm stuck *thinking* about something abstract.

Afkan

Well, I'd hardly call myself an "Si user." You are using that term lightly, as it's an inferior function for me, and it's really only manifested as a slight tinge of comfortable nostalgia every now and then. Get back to me in 10 years when I start giving more thought to my Si though. ;)

Ah yeeeess, what a good pt... except inferior functions in theory develop later in life. *gasp* Its just a theory! You are using the term inferior function very lightly. :newwink:

On another note, I would say that Se makes me uncomfortable. I guess if there was one function that I truly fear, that'd be Se. It's just so impulsive, physical, and risky, and it makes me feel tense around people with that kind of Se.

My honest thoughts while reading this were, How interesting how ENTPs use sarcasm and intellectual posturing to compensate for the lack of Se. ENTPs in general *of course*

I also don't really get along on a deep level with most SPs. They are just so much more caught up in *doing* something tangible, while I'm stuck *thinking* about something abstract.

I see. Aww, you are leveling with me. Lets hold hands and sing koombya. :happy2: No, SPs are not usually the "deep" type. :)
Edit: I do not mean "not deep" derogatorily. I was referring to the common reply of Sensors, "Lets not stay on that subject too long," regarding philosophical discussions and theory.

Last edited:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see. Aww, you are leveling with me. Lets hold hands and sing koombya. :happy2: No, SPs are not usually the "deep" type. :)

I wouldn't say deep in the philosophical sense that you may be accustomed to. However, I think there is a zen to Se that is undervalued and that is it's depth. The beauty of it is that it is experienced one on one with sensation. It is not something that is discussed and debated. It is shown and proven. I wish more N's were open to experiencing Se because it is freeing and subjectively enlightening to it's owner.

Afkan

I wouldn't say deep in the philosophical sense that you may be accustomed to. However, I think there is a zen to Se that is undervalued and that is it's depth. The beauty of it is that it is experienced one on one with sensation. It is not something that is discussed and debated. It is shown and proven. I wish more N's were open to experiencing Se because it is freeing and subjectively enlightening to it's owner.

I get bored with Si, point blank. Probably because I am surrounded by it. Se is soooo much more exciting. You have a good point, Se is exactly what meditation is all about imo. Experiencing life in the moment. I don't see how experiencing without thought, truly being, all that good stuff is possible when viewing with Si.

Even the uber Si users with whom I work, SJs, appreciate Se from time to time. They recognize a person who knows how to have a good time.
The description of Se I posted is limited for the purposes of this post. There's a lot more to it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
According to Wikipedia (regarding socionics and cognitive functions) Se attributes aggressive and territorial traits.

I have noticed some serious aggression and territorial-ism in my personality...although as a child these traits were definitely not present. I wonder if childhood Se-users, while recollecting, would use the words "aggressive and territorial" to describe themselves.

Also, I work with mostly Si users. None of the Si users ever appear aggressive or territorial, unless they are at the end of their rope. They seem to prefer not to use such behaviors, and begin to look sometimes terrified, sometimes in awe when I do. I am still learning to use such behaviors appropriately; I believe they can be appropriate and used in a manner which allows all parties to leave with self-respect.

I am interested in what others think about the presence of aggression and territorial-ism in their own personality traits.

"Se is responsible for the perception, control, defense, and acquisition of space, territory, and control. It observes outward appearances, estimates whether forces are in alignment or conflict, and uses strength of will and power-based methods to achieve purposes. Se understands territory and physical aggression." -Wikipedia, "Socionics", Information Elements

The description of Si is rather interesting too.

I'm aggressive when needed. I love Se. I have a highly developed sense of duty, purpose, and am a very kind and understanding person. But, I don't take any shit from anyone. And, I like to have a good time. So, my immediate surroundings afford me ample opportunity to realize my personal motivations. I am aggressive 90% of the time in a defensive mode, but if I think it necessary I will not hesitate to initiate a pre-emptive strike. I defend my loved ones, I defend the weak, I defend my possessions, and I defend my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it's regarding Se in socionics then this doesn't apply to IS_Ps. I can't say that I'm very territorial at all, nor am I aggressive. I just don't think about these things really. The main Se users in socionics are ES_Ps leading with it and IS_Js with it as a secondary.

IS_Ps lead with Si in socionics, and ES_Js have it as a secondary.

Most definitions of Si are pretty bad by the way for socionics, so don't go by what you read when it comes to that.

Afkan

If it's regarding Se in socionics then this doesn't apply to IS_Ps.

True... I hadn't accounted for the differences in socionics to jungian regarding which type is equivalent to which.

At the same time, I think the descriptions of the functions according to socionics are spot on.

I find the comfort vs. physical space acquisition differences of Si vs. Se to be astoundingly true. The word "aggressive" does not necessarily need to have a negative connotation.

I wonder even if those who heavily rely on Se may understand the positive, even peaceful advantages when they hear the word "aggression"- I do- and I have definitely noticed that those who heavily rely on Si users cringe at the word.

Afkan

:( I apologize...I didn't mean it derogatorily. The sensors I know would be offended to be called deep...but MDP2525 made good points and educated me about the zen-like qualities of Se a few posts ago.

I used "not deep" to refer to what I understand to be true about SPs, that you don't have a huge amount of interest in philosophy or theoretical discussions... neither do SJs. The S's I know readily admit this, as in, whoa, please lets not mess with that stuff for too long.

That's not to say that all S's share the same opinion. I'm open to hearing any and all points of view...In conversation do you enjoy talking a lot about those kinds of topics?

Afkan

I would also like to say...why does "deep" have to equate with "intelligent"?

Last edited:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i do think zen as a practice was created for Ni/inj types to understand, recognize, appreciate, and free themselves thru Se.

buddhism and vedic philosophies being one giant fucking tangled mass of Ni. one of its highest forms of advancement and development (like german transcendental idealism). zen (Se) as a way out of the trap, balancing, present experience, and the joy of merging with perceptual experience rather than putting up a wall of meaning and viewing the world thru a rifle sight.

the only thing rigid in zen is that the meaning of zen is just zen. which is, don't you fucking stop Se'ing or we'll smack you with a ruler! but for inj types the meaning of the experience, of moving from Ni to Se seems revelatory, very pure, liberating, etc. ie thank you inferior function!

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
i do think zen as a practice was created for Ni/inj types to understand, recognize, appreciate, and free themselves thru Se.

buddhism and vedic philosophies being one giant fucking tangled mass of Ni. one of its highest forms of advancement and development (like german transcendental idealism). zen (Se) as a way out of the trap, balancing, present experience, and the joy of merging with perceptual experience rather than putting up a wall of meaning and viewing the world thru a rifle sight.

the only thing rigid in zen is that the meaning of zen is just zen. which is, don't you fucking stop Se'ing or we'll smack you with a ruler! but for inj types the meaning of the experience, of moving from Ni to Se seems revelatory, very pure, liberating, etc. ie thank you inferior function!

I agree.

I've come to very similar conclusions on the study of Taoism.

Afkan

Mmk, just for fun...

See an aggressively protective nature in the following clip:

Starring Veronica, Portia di Rossi's character (ENTJ), Phil (INTP i think), and Lem (INTJ i think)

Hulu - Better Off Ted: Medical

"This must be how a baby lion feels when it yells at a receptionist to get its medical records." ROTFL

*I posted this in a thread about the character's types in Better off Ted.