• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are we boxing ourselves in with MBTI?

Delta223

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agreed with the vast majority of the MBTI as it related to me... but at the same time I see a common complaint that it conditions us to put labels on people instead of see them for the unique individuals they really are.

What do you guys think of this? Frankly I'm confused. We can not have the MBTI be too artifical to be true, and yet accurate at the same time. MBTI either accurately portrays the human condition or it doesn't.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agreed with the vast majority of the MBTI as it related to me... but at the same time I see a common complaint that it conditions us to put labels on people instead of see them for the unique individuals they really are.

What do you guys think of this? Frankly I'm confused. We can not have the MBTI be too artifical to be true, and yet accurate at the same time. MBTI either accurately portrays the human condition or it doesn't.

It is only a tool, and for the matter one that can be only be used to explain part of any human beings predispositions and/or modes of operation.

There are so many different factors (psychological, genetic, environmental, etc.) that can influence human beings that no model (MBTI, Enneagram, etc.) can speak to the totality of a person, let alone predict thoughts/behaviors with 100% accuracy.

Anyone who thinks they know all they will ever need to with regard to how human beings think, feel, and operate because they know MBTI to some degree, are sadly mistaken.

I learned about MBTI and my type somewhat later in life (at age 33) than alot of younger people I know. Knowledge of MBTI has no doubt benefitted me, but I don not consider it a substitute for the myriad of other experiences I use in managing my interpersonal relationships. It is a power tool that alone cannot build a house, but can make the job easier if you have it.

Just my .02.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
It is only a tool, and for the matter one that can be only be used to explain part of any human beings predispositions and/or modes of operation.

There are so many different factors (psychological, genetic, environmental, etc.) that can influence human beings that no model (MBTI, Enneagram, etc.) can speak to the totality of a person, let alone predict thoughts/behaviors with 100% accuracy.

Anyone who thinks they know all they will ever need to with regard to how human beings think, feel, and operate because they know MBTI to some degree, are sadly mistaken.

I learned about MBTI and my type somewhat later in life (at age 33) than alot of younger people I know. Knowledge of MBTI has no doubt benefitted me, but I do not consider it a substitute for the myriad of other experiences I use in managing my interpersonal relationships. It is a power tool that alone cannot build a house, but can make the job easier if you have it.

Just my .02.

:yes:

It's one tool. Not the whole toolbox.

lastrailway

MBTI was never supposed to be an exact science.

That said, the dichotomies make sense to me up to some point and. I think most of us always categorise people one way or another and MBTI offers some theory on motivations behind the behaviours.

I personally find it useful to understand why relations to other fail (or not) and I use it as such, rather than as a way to label myself and *all* of my reactions, way of thinking, etc.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yes:

It's one tool. Not the whole toolbox.

Agree wholeheartedly. It gives you insight generally into how people may think, behave, etc. I think it's quite useful which is why I'm interested in it and use it. However, human beings are far too complex to be strictly and narrowly typecast into 16 boxes though. I tend towards thinking the profiles may be 85% accurate - which in and of itself is pretty impressive. Then there are some people who just don't seem to fit at all.....

Delta223

MBTI Type
INTJ
If its just one tool then the problem is not knowing when to use the other tools, because MBTI tries to be a comprehensive guide. I regularly see you guys explaining every last detail about a person's behavior with typology, and sometimes I find myself doing the same also.

When trying to understand people, maybe MBTI hurts more than it helps.

VagrantFarce

It's not something I consciously consider during my everyday dealings with others, but it's a fun system to entertain in my spare time. :) It certainly helps to see things from another point of view, at any rate (and is certainly better than nothing).

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
If its just one tool then the problem is not knowing when to use the other tools, because MBTI tries to be a comprehensive guide. I regularly see you guys explaining every last detail about a person's behavior with typology, and sometimes I find myself doing the same also.

I would like to know who "...you guys..." are, specifically. I certainly don't.

While there are people here who get carried away(irritatingly so...). I don't see everyone on these forums trying to explain their, or anyone else's, every ill-conceived action, and personality quirk, on type alone. Except perhaps as a joke.

Jaguar

While there are people here who get carried away(irritatingly so...). I don't see everyone on these forums trying to explain their, or anyone else's, every ill-conceived action, and personality quirk, on type alone. Except perhaps as a joke.

Well, it can get absurd. That's why I created the satirical thread: "Typing by urine color."

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not something I consciously consider during my everyday dealings with others, but it's a fun system to entertain in my spare time. :) It certainly helps to see things from another point of view, at any rate (and is certainly better than nothing).

+1.

I would like to know who "...you guys..." are, specifically. I certainly don't.

While there are people here who get carried away(irritatingly so...). I don't see everyone on these forums trying to explain their, or anyone else's, every ill-conceived action, and personality quirk, on type alone...

+1 again!

Well, it can get absurd. That's why I created the satirical thread: "Typing by urine color."

On of my favorite MBTI spin-offs. Mine's been a very healthy and bright yellow as of late, due to an expensive vitamin B-12 supplement I've recently bought. You really should try it, it's a great hue to behold. :nerd: :wacko: :rofl1:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

I know it can...

And I know there are some people here who, have used it as an excuse for failure, an excuse for acting like an ass, hell, an excuse for anything you can think of.

I like the absurd. Which is one reason I hang out here. There are a few more reasons. But the most prominent in my mind at the moment is, the hot wimmens... :D

Purely in the interest of science, of course... :nerd:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
One of the great things about MBTI is that I have used it to learn more about myself. Learning about cognitive functions, and each of the aspects of the system has made sense to me as far as applying it to my own behavior. Knowing about the 16 different types is interesting, and identifying myself as ISTJ has really shown how frighteningly accurate the system can be.

Having said that, the system should not be abused, and must not be used to constantly explain every last detail of one's personality because, as others have said, there are so many other behavioral factors at work.

Jaguar

I like the absurd. Which is one reason I hang out here. There are a few more reasons. But the most prominent in my mind at the moment is, the hot wimmens... :D

Purely in the interest of science, of course... :nerd:

I respect a man who tells it like it is. :D

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Multiple tools are useful for for personal development. Outside of personal development, I think it is hard enough to use one tool reasonably well, and use it for what it's worth.

Fecal McAngry

I am right-handed, but I can use my left hand reasonably well. In fact, I prefer to use my left hand for some things--it's my preferred "mouse hand," and the hand in which I hold my phone. Some right-handed folks are more ambidextrous than am I, and some less...

I am left-eared, right-eyed, and right-footed, yet again, can use my non-favored ear, eye and foot.

I presume you have similar preferences?

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
i've had a terrible problem with mbti and similar typology explanations of people i know, meet or live around (the only place it matters for me). i want to tear up all the volumes of hard and virtual text written about personality i've perused over the years since i found out about it! i feel i've wasted valuable time on the internet, lost countless relationships while i've been trying to figure myself out, killed billions of perfectly good brain cells on wine so i could simply post trivialities on the net to strangers who don't even have bodies (and don't get me started on photographs). it's a difficult painful process.

maybe i should have posted this on the LOVE/HATE thread?

Jaguar

I prefer neither my left nor right leg. I use both to walk.
I prefer neither my left nor right eye. I use both to see.
I prefer neither my left nor right ear. I use both to hear.

I don't get suckered into the used car salesman's pitch: "I prefer my right hand, so MBTI is valid."

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
i've had a terrible problem with mbti and similar typology explanations of people i know, meet or live around (the only place it matters for me). i want to tear up all the volumes of hard and virtual text written about personality i've perused over the years since i found out about it! i feel i've wasted valuable time on the internet, lost countless relationships while i've been trying to figure myself out, killed billions of perfectly good brain cells on wine so i could simply post trivialities on the net to strangers who don't even have bodies (and don't get me started on photographs). it's a difficult painful process.

maybe i should have posted this on the LOVE/HATE thread?

:banana2:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Although it's very simplistic, the most helpful aspects of typology for me have been J/P and N/S.

Knowing that someone is an MBTI I/E or F/T hasn't helped me to understand anyone, because the way they work in MBTI does not reflect reality for me.

But I see N/S and J/P differences repeatedly play out in life, and taking notice of this helps me to be more informed about human tendencies. I'm really grateful for this knowledge, because it has proven its use.

For self-improvement and self-awareness, MBTI has been useless for me. Enneagram has been more helpful for that.