• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NF or SF - How Can You Tell?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with the look in the eyes thing. But I also agree with the bolded part. It's much easier to notice patterns and type people you do know. So, I would advise against trying to type people before you get to know them better first.

One thing about the conversation styles that was mentioned before. Obviously I'm going to use myself as an example. I'm fairly certain that I am an NF and I do have quite a strong inclination towards abstraction and talking in generalities. But it all depends on the people I'm having a conversation with.

In order to avoid the blank stare followed by shifty eyes looking for an escape I get when I'm trying to convey things across when I'm in my "abstract mode", I try to get myself out of that mode and use the concrete and tangible approach. I choose to use that with people who are not that familiar with me just yet. I avoid attacking people with my "full force" NF-ness, because it can get very intense (from experience, I can say that it can be for other NF's I try to interact with as well). So, based on that, if those people try to pigeon hole me as an NF or SF, they'd most probably put me in the latter distinction.

It takes time and some experience with people before you can really tell what they are.

It's funny what you said about avoiding attacking people with your full force NF-Ness. I do exactly the same thing but more from the standpoint of "INTJ-Ness". We're just pretty intense people and maybe it's a coping mechanism that I've developed over time of not wanting to turn people off with too much too soon. I wonder - are we not being true to ourselves or putting forth who we are? Is it a mistake? As it is, being introverts, the "general is in the tent" and we're not putting forth our first function to begin with.

P

Phantonym

I wonder - are we not being true to ourselves or putting forth who we are? Is it a mistake? As it is, being introverts, the "general is in the tent" and we're not putting forth our first function to begin with.

I think it is a mistake. I find myself holding back a lot and I constantly wonder whether I should stop doing that once and for all. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? People don't get you and they turn away from you? But they're not getting the real you so it's as if you're putting on a show that is pointless. It's not real.

I think there's so much more to be gained by "using the force". :D

But I digress. Sorry. Carry on with the official topic. :)