• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pretentious Fi

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is all a misunderstanding. OrangeAppled isn't like what the OP is describing, although she's an NFP. So yeah. Misunderstanding.

And I'm sure that NFPs that really are pretentious like this won't have the guts to say what's going on...

I've seen people of many types do this, including Thinkers. That's the point - it's not a type issue. It's not an NFP-specific trait.

Yeah, understood.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I have answered it directly in my first post, and so have many other NFPs in here. Just because you do not like the answer and it does not support the OP's speculation does not mean it is not true. It seems that unless NFPs say "yes, you are right and have us figured out completely", then you will not be happy with the answer.

And I appreciate your insight. A few INFPs' opinions on Fi are not going to be very convincing arguments though. I'm not implying that you are wrong about yourself. It'd be nice to hear insights, personal, anecdotal, or theoretical, that analyze my speculations about Fi. Not just Fi users' opinions about Fi. Regardless of how much I appreciate the INFP insight, it's a pretty biased sampling pool, if you ask me.

Maybe the bottom line is that NFPs do not do this as much as you think, or even at all. Maybe you mistype people, maybe this is an individual quirk issue & not an NFP one, maybe you misunderstand what NFPs are saying, etc. Bottom line is, I am not going to admit to something I do not do, and I cannot explain behavior that I do not have, and I resent someone telling me how my mind works when it does not work that way.

I'm not asking YOU to admit to anything. I'm not asking Fi users to admit to anything either. I'm asking for my perceptions to be critiqued.

I can't relate to that in the slightest. I have never insisted someone feels a way they say they do not feel. That's completely foreign to me.

Well that's good then, and thank you for your help. But you do not represent all Fi users or all theories about Fi simply because you are an INFP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You know who does this the most out of anyone I know? My ESFP sister. The INFPs and INFJs I know are not in the habit of outright "telling" people anything, because it would be like a form of imposition (and not something I would imagine they would be comfortable with...ever.) Seriously, they MAY quietly assume some things (and even then, *maybe*), but they won't go blab about it, especially to that person.

In fact, the whole premise of this thread doesn't make too much sense. It is well known that INFPs do not like conflict in general (and sometimes to a pathological degree.) And if the INFPs think they know what the person is feeling better than they do, then they would know that simply telling the person how they really feel would lead to conflict. Why, then, would INFx people do something that could so obviously lead to conflict?

I agree.

When you look at the two main definitions of pretentious..

1. characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.
2. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

The second definition is completely contrary to INFX nature. But INFXs could show a sense of the first definition. A quiet sense of self-importance, polite and subtle arrogance.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I want ANYBODY (not just NFPs!) to critique my perception. To agree or disagree. To offer any insight they have. That's it.

I don't feel like I've been proven "right" or "wrong" either way. I'd love to hear a convincing argument that goes against my previous notions regarding Fi, and I'd have no qualms with accepting the fact that my perceptions do not hold ground in a broader reality. It hasn't happened yet though.

Look, you're talking about deep, deep defense mechanisms, so objective critique's going to be hard to find here. You're not in the realm of the positive right now - you're in the realm of the normative. Ti thinks in terms of "correct" and "incorrect". Fi thinks in terms of "good" and "bad".

And the answer you're looking for? It's less Fi than it is Pe. Extraverted perception loves to show off.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The double standard is an illusion that you've created in your own head. Quit. I even repped you and said that your Fi seems nice after your first response. What happened?

My Fi is rather typical, IMO. That's what is wrong. I am not the atypical INFP. What you describe in the OP sounds atypical. I don't think it is type-related behavior.

I have created no illusion in my head - you just refuse to acknowledge the double standard.

I'm not bitching about NFPs. I put my perception on the table to be critiqued. When did I bitch about NFPs?

I don't need to point it out. It's all throughout the thread. The very topic itself....

I like how here you assume NFPs are emotionally invested in everything they debate also...It's hard for me to take you seriously when you keep doing what you accuse others of doing.

Look at the bolded statements above. That's the kind of shit I'm talking about.

You don't like it when people point out that you're being hypocritical? Yeah, most people don't like that. :coffee:

I want ANYBODY (not just NFPs!) to critique my perception. To agree or disagree. To offer any insight they have. That's it.

I don't feel like I've been proven "right" or "wrong" either way. I'd love to hear a convincing argument that goes against my previous notions regarding Fi, and I'd have no qualms with accepting the fact that my perceptions do not hold ground in a broader reality. It hasn't happened yet though.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am asking for people to pick apart my perceptions, and part of the reason for me doing this is to help me decide whether my opinion is justified or not. I'm open to being "convinced otherwise."

It's been done. Like I said, you just won't accept the points made. I haven't seen you address the actual points made against the OP unless they seem to support your position.

Anyways....I'm done with this argument. It never ends....

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
It's been done. Like I said, you just won't accept the points made. I haven't seen you address the actual points made against the OP unless they seem to support your position.

You're right. I've been too busy personally bashing you. Let me get to those other posts in a bit.

Anyways....I'm done with this argument. It never ends....

Thank God for that.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Tesla, dearest, as already been noted this thread was virtually fated to fail from start.

As a battle-scarred defender of Fe I'm all too familiar with the route topics such as these take. I'm not going to damn Fi one way or another, because I've seen the same accusations hurled at Fe. I'm trying to think of how you could have phrased your OP to not raise hackles but...

I'm sure you realize the hierarchy of functions here on the forum. Perhaps if you had started this topic about Si the thread wouldn't have gotten so contentious so quickly. What I'm saying is you're stepping on hallowed cognitive function ground. You really can't expect to have any measured and critical discussion about the negatives--be they real or imagined--about any functions that are more highly favored here. Do you think that if a non-Ne-dom started a the same topic about Ne by swapping Ne for Fi there'd be a similar reaction? I do.

Also I notice that most people will quickly say "I don't do that!" and then other will say "I don't think you[person who uses said function] are like that!" There's no way to know for sure if someone does or doesn't have the traits and behaviors described in any OP started like this one. They may or may not...you're at the mercy of self-report and a person's ability to objectively look at themselves which at best ALL humans are running at 50%. We also have the sapience of sitting at a computer screen and typing out responses that may not naturally occur in the heat of the moment, distancing from our memory banks those times we did react in a certain way and how often those reactions or tendencies occur.

I do think the OP could've been worded a bit more neutrally though. :mellow: Sorry chica!

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the other thing to consider is that communication requires cooperation on both sides. If you are being continually misinterpreted by a given type, you might want to consider how you are saying what you are saying.

I think some thinkers tend to assume that everything they say is emotionally neutral unless explicitly otherwise. What they don't realize is that every word choice, mannerism and facial expression carries some emotional overtones. If you ignore that, you are going to communicating some random content (or some real content you aren't aware you are communicating). We INFPs have a similar blind spot in thinking we can opt out of social rituals and obligations without communicating anything.

It sounds like the OP is assuming the problem is mostly on the listener's side. I don't think it's always that simple.

I also find that during NT-style debates, people are sometimes more emotionally invested than they'd like to admit. They may not be taking the topic of the debate personally, but there is a sporting aggression and one-up-manship that goes on. Sometimes the aggressive and angry tone does represent real emotion... it's just more about winning and being proven right/smarter rather than the topic at hand. That doesn't mean it's not real emotion and that it's not being communicated.

So it's possible (I don't know, since I wasn't there) that the INFPs in question are correctly picking up anger and aggression, it's just not personal in the same way it would be coming from an INFP.

I even find the original OP to be somewhat aggressive and confrontational in the NT "stir-the-pot and see what happens" kind of way. Seems kind of ironic that tesla was using that style (or so it appeared to me) when asking INFPs about it.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think the other thing to consider is that communication requires cooperation on both sides. If you are being continually misinterpreted by a given type, you might want to consider how you are saying what you are saying...

I'd advise the same when we have so many members complaining of how misunderstood they feel and the major communication fails that happens with the sensors in their life.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Look--its all very simple.

NFPs ARE naturally gifted at empathizing and understanding where people are coming from.

Sometimes NFPs are wrong, but that does not negate the fact that they are generally gifted in this area.

Sometimes the ENFP's relatively underdeveloped introverted judgement skews their more trustworthy extraverted perceptions, and sometimes the INFP makes introverted judgements without sufficient development of extraverted perception.

NFPs are understanding and empathetic when you are in your darkest moments, or when no one else seems to understand.

If you want concrete examples, just open your eyes.

The NFPs in your life demonstrate this gift all the time.

Hell, you may even want to express your gratitude to them, as it generally fuels their desire to empathize and understand you all the more. :yes:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The first is the hardest, and mentionned already: being emotionally stable yourself and able to detach.Second is asking questions to verify your reading, making sure you're in sync with the person, potentially recapping what's going on to make sure you got it right.

I think this second prerequisite is perhaps one of the huge problems that causes Fi to appear so presumptious. I've seen Fi users make premature claims about my own emotions without even explicitly asking me how I feel. It seems like usually once they ask, they believe me (until I do another thing that makes me appear "upset"), so it's good that I get through to them at least for a bit.

INFPs are Third is knowing the backstory and applying it to your analysis (aka, if a person is feeling anger, the backstory will tell you how that will make them react, whereas you as the interpreter might do something else in that situation)

I think some times the "backstory" is taken with more weight than it may hold to the present situation though. It's not always that important. That might be another reason for the disagreements.

, fourth is using the bodylanguage of the person to verify your reading, and back up the questions, steer them. Together, they will often give you a very acurate pic of what's happening.

I'd say that's why NFPs come across as so pretentious to NTPs though. NTPs don't really think about using body language to express their feelings, and for me, oftentimes my body language is not a manifestation of my internal thoughts. It gets misinterpretted though, and thus the annoyance ensues.

What can you do? Don't get defensive :)
Much like ENTPs wanna know what's inside your head and logically verify everything and question stuff (which to us feels like you're not believing us, questionning our morals and values and makes us go all porcupine on ya and btw makes us paranoid and read into your emotions to see wtf is wrong with you that you feel like you need to torture us :alttongue:), we're the same on feelings.

To the bolded: I did not know this is how an NFP would feel about logical analysis! Thank you for that.

When I analyze and ask questions, it's not necessarily because I'm doubtful. I just like to know as much about a system as possible, so I ask questions and analyze. It's hard for Ti to be sure of something without having all the necessary information. It's a huge pitfall with Ti, imo, but we can't really help it.

We wanna know what's going on in your soul. And ENTPs are usually reluctant to share that.

ENTPs don't have souls, silly. :devil:

When you start getting defensive, we feel, much like yourself in a Ti situation, that you're hiding something..so we'll start digging. If you don't cooperate= no information= guessing is the only option= likely to be very inaccurate. It's pretty much what you guys do to get ideas out of people's heads and verify them. We do the same on the emotional level. Realize that. It helps. We're not trying to emotionally rape you, or tell you how you feel. We want you to tell us. If you don't however, we'll guess.

That's fair. I think that NTPs just don't hold as much weight with emotions as NFPs though, so we just don't really feel the need to talk about them and analyze them as much as you guys do. That's why we don't, not because we are necessarily "hiding something."

And guessing is fair. Just so long as you are willing to accept the fact that your guesses are not always going to be completely spot-on.

Also, in our defense....T's seem to often not realize that they *are* in fact emoting. If you vibe frustration and anger at us because you're getting frustrated at not finding the answer you seek, often it's misinterpreted by us as..omg, she's frustrated and angry at me..but why??? Then we ask...and you tell us that there's no anger or frustration. We get confused coz we clearly see it, and try to point it out, whereas to you that anger and frustration is minimal and irrelevant (so I've been told).

I understand this perspective. I just wish that it was easier for Fi users to understand that anger/frustration over a specific system is not the same thing as general anger/unhappiness. I may get frustrated with not knowing something in the moment, but it doesn't affect my overall emotional state outside of the system that's confusing me.

I really liked the insight you gave here (and the 4 prereqs really appeal to my Ti :yes:). I didn't completely understand that Fi users felt this way. I just wish there was some effective way for Fi/Ti so solve their problems through communication. It's frustrating because NFPs can be so fun and bubbly for a while, but it seems like shit inevitably hits the fan at some point, and I don't like it when that happens.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Tesla, dearest, as already been noted this thread was virtually fated to fail from start.

As a battle-scarred defender of Fe I'm all too familiar with the route topics such as these take. I'm not going to damn Fi one way or another, because I've seen the same accusations hurled at Fe. I'm trying to think of how you could have phrased your OP to not raise hackles but...

Yeah, that'd be nice to figure a more tactful way of wording it. Us ENTPs aren't always so great with tact. I really didn't mean to cause offense or provoke such strong Fi defenses.

I'm sure you realize the hierarchy of functions here on the forum. Perhaps if you had started this topic about Si the thread wouldn't have gotten so contentious so quickly. What I'm saying is you're stepping on hallowed cognitive function ground. You really can't expect to have any measured and critical discussion about the negatives--be they real or imagined--about any functions that are more highly favored here.

I wish I could expect that though :-/

Also I notice that most people will quickly say "I don't do that!" and then other will say "I don't think you[person who uses said function] are like that!" There's no way to know for sure if someone does or doesn't have the traits and behaviors described in any OP started like this one. They may or may not...you're at the mercy of self-report and a person's ability to objectively look at themselves which at best ALL humans are running at 50%.

I don't think self-report is the only way to analyze the OP though. I think we could talk about theoretical implications of the functions and how these would theoretically be manifested in reality in their negative and positive forms.

I do think the OP could've been worded a bit more neutrally though. :mellow: Sorry chica!

I don't think I would have gotten my point across had I chosen more "neutral" words (or at least there's no neutral words in my normal vocab repertoire that would have sufficed). Perhaps I should have thought more about how the Fi users would take it though.

I wouldn't take the OP personally had it been about the negative consequences of Ti or Ne, but it's hard to escape the realms of your own perspective and enter into a new one, especially when the new one is so discordant with your own that you can't really even call it an "opposite."

Le sigh...

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think the other thing to consider is that communication requires cooperation on both sides. If you are being continually misinterpreted by a given type, you might want to consider how you are saying what you are saying.

I think some thinkers tend to assume that everything they say is emotionally neutral unless explicitly otherwise. What they don't realize is that every word choice, mannerism and facial expression carries some emotional overtones.

I think mannerisms carry emotional overtones only according to societal standards. These societal standards may just cause mannerisms to be misinterpretted by people who value judging the emotional meaning behind actions even when there is no intended emotional meaning.

That being said, perhaps it'd be best if we all realize that our actions may be interpretted as "emotional overtones" by some people and not by others and change our mode of actions depending on the circumstances.

It sounds like the OP is assuming the problem is mostly on the listener's side. I don't think it's always that simple.

Yeah I did blame it on the listener's side, as the listener is the one doing the misinterpretting. However, I can see the value in avoiding such actions that are so often misinterpreted.

I also find that during NT-style debates, people are sometimes more emotionally invested than they'd like to admit. They may not be taking the topic of the debate personally, but there is a sporting aggression and one-up-manship that goes on. Sometimes the aggressive and angry tone does represent real emotion... it's just more about winning and being proven right/smarter rather than the topic at hand. That doesn't mean it's not real emotion and that it's not being communicated.

I don't know if I agree with this. There often really is no emotional investment, but NFs can't seem to figure that out because that just completely does not fit in to their own values and perspective.

So it's possible (I don't know, since I wasn't there) that the INFPs in question are correctly picking up anger and aggression, it's just not personal in the same way it would be coming from an INFP.

Perhaps? Maybe Fi just gets more bothered by apparent anger/aggression than other functions though.

I even find the original OP to be somewhat aggressive and confrontational in the NT "stir-the-pot and see what happens" kind of way. Seems kind of ironic that tesla was using that style (or so it appeared to me) when asking INFPs about it.

I don't really think I was explicitly asking INFPs about anything. I wanted anybody's opinions.

And I wasn't trying to "stir-the-pot" (really I wasn't!). I'd like to know how I can avoid doing that with Fi users. Srsly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't really think I was explicitly asking INFPs about anything. I wanted anybody's opinions.

And I wasn't trying to "stir-the-pot" (really I wasn't!). I'd like to know how I can avoid doing that with Fi users. Srsly.

So, I'm curious, do you get this experience with TJs as well as FPs? Because you're talking about the function Fi, which applies to them as well.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think mannerisms carry emotional overtones only according to societal standards. These societal standards may just cause mannerisms to be misinterpretted by people who value judging the emotional meaning behind actions even when there is no intended emotional meaning.

That being said, perhaps it'd be best if we all realize that our actions may be interpretted as "emotional overtones" by some people and not by others and change our mode of actions depending on the circumstances.

I'd generally agree with this, although clearly there are some mannerisms which seem to inherently, cross-culturally carry emotional content (there are good sociology studies on such).

And I share your frustration in the context of Fe vs Fi. If I opt out of attending a graduation because I'd rather spend personal time with that person at a later date, I'm really not saying "I don't care." But to some Fe users, that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't like that fact, but it pays to keep it in mind. Sometimes, you can't say nothing and anything you do has some meaning.

Yeah I did blame it on the listener's side, as the listener is the one doing the misinterpretting. However, I can see the value in avoiding such actions that are so often misinterpreted.

Same on my side. I've found that my INFP tendency to soften statements with "I feel" and "it seems to me that" can be read as me being uncertain in technical contexts. I've also had to learn to be much more direct about things at work, because some people take things at face value and ignore all indirection (hard as that is for me to imagine).

I don't know if I agree with this. There often really is no emotional investment, but NFs can't seem to figure that out because that just completely does not fit in to their own values and perspective.

Maybe it's a computer geek thing. My coworkers are often sparring for the top-dog/best-informed/smartest-geek. There's a kind of dynamic that goes on that reminds me of people playing ping pong or a trash-talking while dueling in a video game. It's definitely aggressive and in one's face. There's clearly some investment in the whole thing (they WANT to be proven right/best/correct), but it's not personal in an INFP way.

Perhaps? Maybe Fi just gets more bothered by apparent anger/aggression than other functions though.

I think it's true that Fi-doms tend to be the most personally bothered by conflict. Fe users are also bothered by conflict, but tend to see it more as a threat to group well-being (which they tend to value). Also, Fe users can tend to come down hard if they feel the conflict creators aren't abiding by the social contracts.

Conflict about unimportant matters goes against most Fi's value systems (which tend to emphasize personal autonomy and respect for opinions). Many NFPs (especially INFPs) tend to only argue about the truly important, so there's always emotional investment about those central values.

Huh... seemed like "Why do you Fi users do this?" and then you said NFJs didn't have that issue (not primary Fi users, anyway), and neither did SFPs. That leaves INFP as the only Fi-doms remaining. (Okay, you were asking ENFPs too, I admit.)

Heh, if you like I can go through your initial post and pick it apart for emotional content and connotations if that would be helpful. You did say you couldn't have chosen more neutral words and gotten your point across, which sounds like you were aware of the emotional content in this case.

At any rate, I'm not personally offended by any of this. I do understand (first-hand) the INFP reaction to intense debating as angry conflict. I think NFPs can learn to tolerate that style of debate over time, and NTs can help by clearly stating that they aren't upset and it's not personal. Also keeping an eye on the emotional content of your body language and word choice can help (if you care enough to do so).

This seems like a pretty fundamental type misunderstanding to me, where each side misinterprets the other's actions based on how they would respond personally. NFPs think you are angry, and you think they are being arrogant for thinking such. We can keep in mind that arguing ≠ angry (for NTs, anyway), and you can keep in mind that we are getting repeated cues that you ARE angry/upset. It takes some desensitization for NFPs not to react to that, and to understand that in your mind it's all good free-wheeling fun.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram

Why do you Fi users do this? Or is this not an Fi thing and just something I made up in my head?

Emphasis mine. While you asked for anyone's opinions, you specifically asked Fi users 'why' they behave a certain way and/or whether this was a misperception on your part.

And I appreciate your insight. A few INFPs' opinions on Fi are not going to be very convincing arguments though. I'm not implying that you are wrong about yourself. It'd be nice to hear insights, personal, anecdotal, or theoretical, that analyze my speculations about Fi. Not just Fi users' opinions about Fi. Regardless of how much I appreciate the INFP insight, it's a pretty biased sampling pool, if you ask me.

See above.

I'd love to hear a convincing argument that goes against my previous notions regarding Fi, and I'd have no qualms with accepting the fact that my perceptions do not hold ground in a broader reality. It hasn't happened yet though.

Ajblaise and Orangey had already provided two 'unbiased' (ie non-Fi) typological explanations of why your assumptions might be questioned.

I don't think self-report is the only way to analyze the OP though. I think we could talk about theoretical implications of the functions and how these would theoretically be manifested in reality in their negative and positive forms.

I was planning on adding some anecdotal evidence of my own, but reading the entire thread I'm sure that would be unhelpful. I'm not familiar enough with typology or the functions yet to have a good theoretical grasp of Fi and the behavior of NFPs. I think if your OP (and the hypothesis therein) had been more focused on theory instead of the personal experiences you had had with 'obnoxious', 'annoying' and 'pretentious' Fi-using NFPs, the response may have been more theory-based and productive from your own perspective, instead of mostly anecdotal and personalized.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think that things would be a lot simpler if people would give Teslashock the benefit of the doubt that, as an ENTP, the motive for the OP was mostly intellectual curiosity.

Unfortunately, a lot of posts in this thread confirmed some of the observations about NFPs taking things the wrong way---which kind of makes me wonder if Tesla's secondary motive was to be a smart-ass and demonstrate how NFPs take things the wrong way!!!! (ime, this seems to be a typical secondary motive of ENTPs!!!!;) )

If that's the case, then some of you should have used your intuition and avoided falling into the trap!

Ahhhhhhhhhh..........

Damn you ENTPs! :newwink::D

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Ajblaise and Orangey had already provided two 'unbiased' (ie non-Fi) typological explanations of why your assumptions might be questioned.

Yeah, and I think the fact that he/she (?) seems to have missed both of our posts while still saying that he wants outside criticism makes it seem like rhetorical fluff to make himself look more objective. That said, he could have just missed them in the heat of battle with the INFPs, though that still says a lot about his real priorities for the thread.

I was planning on adding some anecdotal evidence of my own, but reading the entire thread I'm sure that would be unhelpful. I'm not familiar enough with typology or the functions yet to have a good theoretical grasp of Fi and the behavior of NFPs. I think if your OP (and the hypothesis therein) had been more focused on theory instead of the personal experiences you had had with 'obnoxious', 'annoying' and 'pretentious' Fi-using NFPs, the response may have been more theory-based and productive from your own perspective, instead of mostly anecdotal and personalized.

I also agree that there is significant inconsistency in presenting an anecdote and asking for feedback on it while denying the relevance of other's anecdotes for this purpose. The issue becomes even more transparent when you take into account the fact that the anecdotes he is refusing are the ones coming from Fi users themselves. If he wanted to discuss theory he should have presented a theoretical argument instead of personal experience.