• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Imaginary Friends

Imaginary Friend....?

• Yes and I'm an S type

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Yes and I'm an N type

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • No and I'm an S type

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • No and I'm an N type

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Not playing but I want to see the answer

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Possible early conclusions on poll:

1. Sensors like to screw with the voting by voting as iNtuitives
2. Sensors ignore threads that have "imaginary" and/or "friends" in the title
3. Sensors have a fear of polls so will not vote

Quite telling, dontcha think :thelook:

or that the site is largely skewed N type - which is it.. or that some of the sensors don't check this part of the site, or that N types are open to responding well. Lots of possibilities, but it certianly looks like N types aare fairly open to imaginary freinds. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sigh. I never had an imaginary friend...
... because I knew imaginary friends weren't real. :(

It would have been nice, during all the "lonely years" growing up, though ... fudge.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think I ever had an imaginary friend.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The little inner voice was my experience. It was my friend. I never lived a day of my life without it until I was in my early thirties. (a faith crisis). It's still there when I need it but not like before. I miss it very much and I never felt alone as long as it was guiding me. :cry: Like I said, it's still there but feels farther away and I'm guessing that would be my doing. i.e. guilt about the crisis and so forth. As long as you're making so much noise either in the heart or the head; it's hard to hear.

This probably makes no sense but it's very hard to explain; even to myself. :blush:

That sounds very normal pretend/imaginary play to me, although very F types... the harlequin doll sounds amusing... SCARY!!!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
no imaginary friends- I had a sister (a REAL enemy during childhood! :holy:)

I did like to imagine that I could grow up and be a pirate though ;)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
My main imaginary friend was Huntry, who was only a couple of inches high. She had an older (responsible) sister named Candle who slept in my older sister's ear, and she also hung out with T Shirt and Jackie (both boys). I named my doll after my imaginary friend when I was about four.

My aunt also told tales of Elfie, an elf with a bad smoking/swearing habit who alternately lived under our ships bell or else shipped off to my aunt's. He thought my mum was a kill joy, but got sick of my aunt pinching his wings. He was always urging me to take up smoking and offering to teach me how to blow smoke rings. When he was at my aunt's house, he and a couple of other elves (Piper and Whistler) hung out in the chimney and were put to work by the Toothfairy making tooth pillows. I used to regularly get tiny letters in the mail from him and occasionally from Toothy, whom I corresponded with. Around the time that I started to doubt Elfie's existence, I put out a plate of flour with some food in the middle of it. When I woke up in the morning, there were tiny tracks there, and I was quite impressed, as I had had the distinct impression that Elfie and my aunt were the same person.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I never had an imaginary friend. I didn't really think of having one, nor did I want one, guess it was laziness too.

Bellamy'sSocket

MBTI Type
INFP
Yep, one who looked like me only she had darker hair and was more of an E. As I grew out of it, my child psychologist told me it was my desired version of myself, lol

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why do I have a feeling that a number of people could be lying to themselves in this thread.

images

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
My main imaginary friend was Huntry, who was only a couple of inches high. She had an older (responsible) sister named Candle who slept in my older sister's ear, and she also hung out with T Shirt and Jackie (both boys). I named my doll after my imaginary friend when I was about four.

My aunt also told tales of Elfie, an elf with a bad smoking/swearing habit who alternately lived under our ships bell or else shipped off to my aunt's. He thought my mum was a kill joy, but got sick of my aunt pinching his wings. He was always urging me to take up smoking and offering to teach me how to blow smoke rings. When he was at my aunt's house, he and a couple of other elves (Piper and Whistler) hung out in the chimney and were put to work by the Toothfairy making tooth pillows. I used to regularly get tiny letters in the mail from him and occasionally from Toothy, whom I corresponded with. Around the time that I started to doubt Elfie's existence, I put out a plate of flour with some food in the middle of it. When I woke up in the morning, there were tiny tracks there, and I was quite impressed, as I had had the distinct impression that Elfie and my aunt were the same person.

I love the correspondance with your imaginary friend... LOL V good... your Aunt is really sweet

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sigh. I never had an imaginary friend...
... because I knew imaginary friends weren't real. :(

It would have been nice, during all the "lonely years" growing up, though ... fudge.

Awe, you could have a lone of someone elses imaginary freind

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was younger, I never had imaginary friends per se. Instead, I would imagine teaching a room full of kinds or so or play with Bun-Bun and pretend he was alive (think: Calvin and Hobbes).

<--- That is Bun-Bun by the way. He's been through a lot of wear and tear, so go easy on the poor guy.

I used to make fun of people who ACTUALLY thought imaginary friends were real, as I always had a clear distinction in my head what was 'real' and what was 'goofiness to entertain me.' It wasn't the MAKING the friends that was so foreign to me as the inability to distinguish reality from fantasy and then forcing others to accept it.

For example, once when I was 10 or so, I saw a free swing, and very politely asked the girl next to it if it was available. She said, "No my imaginary friend is on it." At first, I thought it was a joke, so I laughed, but she shrieked and said, "YOU'RE SO MEAN; YOU PUSHED SARAH OFF THE SWING!" And I looked at her incredulously and said, "Are you feeling okay? There's no one there!" And she said, "Sarah is on the swing, and I was saving it for her." I muttered something like, "Psychoooo" under my breath, sat on it, and said with some indignation, "Well, then tell Sarah to play somewhere else!" After which time, the girl ran away crying to her friends, and her friends came to me and said something like, "You're a bitch!" And I said something like, "What am I supposed to do? LIE AND PRETEND something is there when there is a swing available???" I was visibly perturbed, and I saw that as a completely unfair way of them to put a stage on so that I wouldn't "invade their space." Well, fuck you and play somewhere else then, if you can't put up with me. Shut it. If you can't deal with the heat, get outta the effing kitchen. There, look, there's the door. Psychos. I'll never forget it.

On the other hand, I had no problem going home and 'studying' by pretending to have a discussion with Hitler. Or by teaching a room of imaginary kids what I had learned. Or by thinking out loud. But it was always clear (and I can't stress this enough) that the imaginary thing in my mind WAS NOT real - that it was simply a projection for a purpose.

:blush: Maybe I am a sensor.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Uh hu.... ST perhaps

Okay, I'll be honest: I'm going to go out on a limb and claim there are other intuitives out there who also got frustrated at these Namby-Pambies that told you the swing was 'unavailable' because Sarah was sitting on it even though no one was there?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yep, I think I always knew the difference. The only time it got a little blurry was when I inadvertently saw an ad for one of those Chuckie movies and became concerned that one of my dolls would actually start speaking to me. However, I wouldn't have actually felt upset at someone taking up my imaginary friend's space - that's one of the nice things about those sort of people - they go away when you don't need them around and they are there when you want them.

One of my cousins who was around my age had a convenient imaginary friend who was the scapegoat for all kinds of bad behaviour. When he tried blaming yet another bad thing on "Nicholas" one day after a string of other incidents, my aunt spanked him and suggested that he pass that on to Nicholas for her!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...One of my cousins who was around my age had a convenient imaginary friend who was the scapegoat for all kinds of bad behaviour. When he tried blaming yet another bad thing on "Nicholas" one day after a string of other incidents, my aunt spanked him and suggested that he pass that on to Nicholas for her!

Threatening the human pals of imaginary friends can be rather dangerous -- I would advise against it!

Thus I Refute Beelzy