• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reading & MBTI

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do ESxx types find it harder to sustain their attention on a book for a period of time than the other types? What is the types' relationship to reading? WHich type is the best reader?

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I am impatient and have a hard time concentrating on reading unless I'm interacting with the text in some way: I force myself to take notes when I need to learn something. I read to learn, but I almost never read recreationally. It's not a learning disorder thing, because my sister (INFP) has dyslexia and a very limited attention span as well, but still loves to read.

I can't remember if I've ever read a novel I wasn't forced to or, in a couple of instances, because I made myself, under the impression that it was a character building activity. I know that this is sacrilege for an introverted intuitive to admit, but there it is. It does seem like 99.9% of INFPs like to read, though.

*braces for tomatoes* :peepwall:

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am impatient and have a hard time concentrating on reading unless I'm interacting with the text in some way: I force myself to take notes when I need to learn something. I read to learn, but I almost never read recreationally. It's not a learning disorder thing, because my sister (INFP) has dyslexia and a very limited attention span as well, but still loves to read.

I can't remember if I've ever read a novel I wasn't forced to or, in a couple of instances, because I made myself, under the impression that it was a character building activity. I know that this is sacrilege for an introverted intuitive to admit, but there it is. It does seem like 99.9% of INFPs like to read, though.

*braces for tomatoes* :peepwall:

Different from me at least. I've always loved to read.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Different from me at least. I've always loved to read.

That's good, because I still think it builds character, just not mine. :smile: What do you read?

I wish I didn't dislike it so much. It's almost impossible for looking at words on a page to help my understanding of ANYTHING. It seems that the only way I can retain even the most basic information or glean the most insignificant insight from a text is by writing furiously in the margins and summarizing what I learn afterwards. It's so frustrating. :steam:

And the rest of civilized, well educated society looks down on people who don't read recreationally. I don't really blame them, but it's pretty impossible to try to explain this to most of them without getting scoffed at. :doh:

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
F'sure. I just really enjoy reading. Classic literature is my favourite, but I'll read all sorts. I also like history.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I love history. Specifics? Do you have certain eras you enjoy reading about? Nations? Topics?

Anyway, I may have overreacted there a bit. I scored a 720 on my verbal GRE, so my reading comprehension can't be that bad. I just have a hard time focusing and for whatever reason sitting down with a 'good book' is excrutiating rather than enjoyable. Maybe I feel like I'm not learning anything when I'm just passively reading the words. Ugh. Sorry about the Fi-splosion.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like economic history (Niall Ferguson) and social history (Andrew Marr) the most.