• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do certain brands of philosophies tend to resonate with certain type?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
INTP, inclined to believe that all philosophies are bullshit and would take this position without a second thought if it wasn't in itself a philosophy.

In reality, I favor Metaphysical Libertarianism and philosophies that (in my opinion) generally agree with it, while generally rejecting ones that disagree.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Te - empiricism
Ti - rationalism

that's all I got. Where's simulated? We were just talking about this the other day...

B

brainheart

Taoism always made the most sense to me, thanks to Pooh Bear.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
INTP, inclined to believe that all philosophies are bullshit and would take this position without a second thought if it wasn't in itself a philosophy.

In reality, I favor Metaphysical Libertarianism and philosophies that (in my opinion) generally agree with it, while generally rejecting ones that disagree.

Metaphysical Libertarianism?

That sounds very Fi, Ne to me.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I am an ENTP.
Objectivism has a special place in my heart.

Mental note: must stop hanging out with entps...

kidding. sort of.

philosophy, huh? I guess I'm closest to communitarianism, which seems in keeping with my type.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Mostly hedonism with a bit of stoicism, though I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about either. INTP fail?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i prefer all of them together, processed, dredged, and turned into croquettes.

zen first, but perhaps it is because it was made for me. centering is my first objective in order to become a better person. when i am perfectly centered, i walk on water.

mystical gets me going. german transcendental idealism, hinduism, sufism, science, art, music- anything that provokes my imagination to reach bigger, further, faster. to encompass greater swells of time, space, story, relationship, that becomes cosmic.

i identify with buddhism philosophically in many ways, tho ultimately i prefer taoism or a blended brew of zen. existentialism was an enjoyable phase, like cigarettes. i see no reason to reject cosmic purpose any more than i see the need to hang my hat on a particularly inscribed, enscrolled version of one (oh sacred texts).

to say no to the imagination seems silly, some days i do wake up on the creator's breath and then quietly disappear into the night.

but also post-structuralism (a theory of meaning, relationship, linguistic exchange, intertextuality, etc), post-modernism (which is a theory of aesthetics, ethics?, and epistemology), and anything that makes me feel orchestral (leibniz, anyone?). i think my next foray will be pragmatism, altho it might have a decided been there done that feel, and, generally speaking, all social theory and anthropological analyses have inextricably been woven into my view of humanity, the earth, the universe, etc.

recognizing the universe as a process, recognizing life as a process, recognizing the way in which the imagination can become ecstatic, connected, rapturous, something to hijack and supercharge my iNtuition and make my F resonate, open up, encompass and absorb everything it can, i'll take it!

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Mostly hedonism with a bit of stoicism, though I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about either. INTP fail?

Stoicism! That's another one I can somewhat get behind - also another seemingly good fit with the SJ temperament.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hypothesis: Yes.

Types and philosophies.
Which ones match up.
What about yourself?
What philosophies do you identify with.

I am an ENTP.
Objectivism has a special place in my heart.

It looks like your hypothesis is incorrect. I don't believe any ENTP so far has said the same philosophy as another. Of course since ENTP's as a type defy convention it shouldn't be too surprising that we don't agree with one another.

For me the closest philosophy would be Utilitarianism.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I agree with the overall guidelines of utilitarianism as opposed to moral absolutism.
Well you know the basic kantian idea of 'what if everybody did that' to define a viable ethical system. etc.

But I'd go for something, less colored by anthropocentrism in its end goals I guess. Even if it does totally make sense, the concept seems like a basic idea to start with rather than a finality to me.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
+ if u go for the scientific method to try to quantify it, you have 2 major issues: How do you quantify existence vs non existence -say in the case of a birth control solution-. And furthermore how do you predict future relative maximization of the 'total good' -as science has to be predictive otherwise it's just a rephrasing of observation rather than a theory-

mh, dunno, never heard about utilitarianism before but the shape of the concept seems pretty basic. 'd be interesting to expand on it another day maybe. Haven't slept yesterday, i'll go take a nap and start working on tomorrow's exams.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You could ofc take the assessment out of human hands -think sci fi books with super computer ruling the world-, but that's not a real solution, rather a transfer to another degree of complexity, drowning the issue rather than resolving it.

edit: an idea just came to mind: it's a pre quantum theory philosophical trend isn't it? *grins*
Would only work in a perfectly deterministic system :)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
despite a hateful end-of-semester suicide-bomber mentality towards whitman, whitman. a crime of passion, at least.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Mental note: must stop hanging out with entps...

kidding. sort of.

We usually grow out of it when we realize how goddamn unworkable it is. Nothing worse than a seemingly-logical philosophy that breaks apart in practice.

philosophy, huh? I guess I'm closest to communitarianism, which seems in keeping with my type.

Makes sense. Anyway, when it comes to general philosophical frameworks, I'd say the following generalities apply -

SJ - "conservative" philosophies, in the sense of the idea that the status quo is either good or inevitable, and that shaking things up too much would lead to excessive chaos, disorder, and negative outcomes.

SP - "positive" philosophies, which deal with the nature of the world as it exists, seeking to understand the patterns within, and less concerned with any sort of standard.

NF - "normative" philosophies, dealing with the way things should be, and why they should be that way. There is no use for a philosophy that does not contain some fundamental sense of justice

NT - "radical" philosophies, those which deal with fundamental changes in the way society works. As such, they don't often coincide with one another as to how that change manifests itself, only that the change is necessary.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Stoicism matches up with the NT temperament, INTX especially.

"The Stoics considered destructive emotions to be the result of errors in judgment, and that a sage, or person of "moral and intellectual perfection," would not undergo such emotions. Stoics were concerned with the active relationship between cosmic determinism and human freedom, and the belief that it is virtuous to maintain a will (called prohairesis) that is in accord with nature. Because of this, the Stoics presented their philosophy as a way of life, and they thought that the best indication of an individual's philosophy was not what a person said but how he behaved."

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I assign my own meanings to things, and others are entitled to assign their own meaning to life too, if it makes them happy. I'm all about free-will from arbitrary authority. I've found Existentialism quite appealing.