• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Orienting by the Tertiary Function

VagrantFarce

Not so sure about these ones, they seem accurate enough. :)

INP (Si): "I like to entertain imaginative possibilities, but only within certain, unchangeable parameters that I know won't change."
ISP (Ni): "I want to make a physical impact and experience things in vivid detail, just so long as it is on terms I can forsee or predict."
ITJ (Fi): "I want to take responsibility and brandish some authority, but only if it concerns what I deem important."
IFJ (Ti): "I enjoy fostering relationships with other people, but only on my terms and in a way that makes sense to me."

ETP (Fe): "I enjoy thinking things through for myself, but only if it allows me to show off and get people on my side."
EFP (Te): "I want to do good things and follow my heart, but only if it helps to show off my superior authority and ability to accomplish things."
ENJ (Se): "I enjoy considering new perspectives, but only if it somehow makes an impact in a real, physical way."
ESJ (Ne): "I enjoy considering the facts and noticing small details, as long as they suggest unexpected possibilities for future thought or action."

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Works for me...

It's something like yeah I like to experience things, and do physical things that are fun and thrilling etc. But I only like doing them if I know that there won't be any bad consequences (that's what I look for).

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
ETP (Fe): "I enjoy thinking things through for myself, but only if it allows me to show off and get people on my side."
EFP (Te): "I want to do good things and follow my heart, but only if it helps to show off my superior authority and ability to accomplish things."

No. Just... no.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
EFP: I want to be able to make my dreams and my quirky ideas come true in accordance with my values which is sometimes nigh impossible since silly people and life in general keep getting in my way or generally pissing me off by delaying everything :steam:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
OP Since you are an INTP could you elaborate on the your own tertiary function (Si) and put "I like to entertain imaginative possibilities, but only within certain, unchangeable parameters that I know won't change." in a real world context?

VagrantFarce

OP Since you are an INTP could you elaborate on the your own tertiary function (Si) and put "I like to entertain imaginative possibilities, but only within certain, unchangeable parameters that I know won't change." in a real world context?

In a sense it means "I can't explore possibilities until I have a sense of the boundaries I am allowed to do it in". It's a reaction to entering into situations that I am completely unfamiliar with. It's like needing to know the rules and parameters of a game before actually playing. It really is a case of orienting myself to something groundable that can be relied upon to not change, almost as a starting off point or safety net to fall back on. Naturally, the only way to achieve this is to accept that I don't know everything and just dive in, and try to find my footing on the move. :)

No. Just... no.

What would be a better description? :)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Naturally, the only way to achieve this is to accept that I don't know everything and just dive in, and try to find my footing on the move. :)

I don't know what a better description would be besides "wanting" to look before you leap.

Often choosing to get a limited view off this metaphorical high dive board does little to assist me in these first timer situations. Often it’s better for me to (after some basic precautions). Just to throw myself into the ring and watch and respond to how it plays out while it is happening.

Often when I make faux pas in these situations I now just pretend that its all part of the act and most don't know either way (or at least they seem to respond neutrally if not positively).

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Not really sure. Something that doesn't include "showing off", though. It seems like the pattern is mentioning how you use your aux function within the parameters or restrictions of your tertiary - is that correct?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Just because I'm better than you, doesn't mean I'm showing off." :D

I think tertiary Fe helps ENTP's normalize with the external world. Prevent them from becoming a solitary entity. A bridge to humanity.

So I'd say "I enjoy bridging my ideas with the external subjective world, in order to entertain with and expand on, life in general."

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
"Just because I'm better than you, doesn't mean I'm showing off." :D

I think tertiary Fe helps ENTP's normalize with the external world. Prevent them from becoming a solitary entity. A bridge to humanity.

So I'd say "I enjoy bridging my ideas with the external subjective world, in order to entertain with and expand on, life in general."

Hahaha, I like them both! :smile:

VagrantFarce

Not really sure. Something that doesn't include "showing off", though. It seems like the pattern is mentioning how you use your aux function within the parameters or restrictions of your tertiary - is that correct?

Yes, that's pretty much what this is. :) I've experienced the INP one myself, and I'm just trying to see if other types get too tied down by their tertiary as well sometimes.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, in that case, it may be more like "I enjoy problem solving and in-depth analysis of almost everything, but I don't tell anyone about it unless they specifically ask me".

I really hate talking to someone about something if they are clearly not interested. People tend to seriously underestimate me because I don't always share what I know right off the bat. I don't want to waste anyone's time - mine included. I study people to find out how they express their levels of interest by their body language and pupil dilations. I've become quite adept at this.

In this way, I am extremely aware of other people and want to make the environment pleasant for everyone involved. I couldn't care less about showing off or getting people on my side.

VagrantFarce

INP (Si): "I like to entertain imaginative possibilities, but only within certain, unchangeable parameters that I know won't change."
ISP (Ni): "I want to make a physical impact and experience things in vivid detail, just so long as it helps portray an unexpected interpretation of things."
ITJ (Fi): "I want to take responsibility and brandish some authority, but only if it concerns what I deem important."
IFJ (Ti): "I enjoy fostering relationships with other people, but only in a way that makes sense to me and confirms my own pre-conceptions."

EFP (Te): "I want to do good things and follow my heart, but only if it helps to brandish some authority and exert power."
ENJ (Se): "I enjoy considering new perspectives, but only if it somehow helps me makes an impact in a real, physical way."
ESJ (Ne): "I enjoy considering the facts and noticing small details, as long as they suggest unexpected possibilities for future thought or action."

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not really....I use a sense of how things have been in the past as a starting point to expand on. It's more like a launching pad for new ideas, which can send you off into another galaxy far, far away from the past and can seem nearly unrelated when you're done.

VagrantFarce

I should mention that these aren't exactly healthy positions to take. :) It's about relying so much on your Tertiary that you end up trapped.

32511087.jpg

"First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized."