• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types Under Stress

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D Gotta love the Clash!

( Note to Self- Give PinkPiranha instant badass points for that)

haha!! Thanks! I actually took a picture of mohawked Joe with me when I got my own mohawk done. I said, "Patrick, gimme THAT!" and my stylist (an ENTP who was desperate to act on his artistic leanings but also unwilling to give a girl he'd known for 12 years a mohawk) thought I'd lost my mind, but I told him he'd love it when it was done! And he did! It was the best hair cut I ever had! I may have to get another one! :D

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the site linked to earlier.
INFP

INFPs feel internal turmoil when they find themselves in situations in which there is conflict between their inner code of ethics and their relationships with others. They feel caught between pleasing others and maintaining their own integrity. Their natural tendency to identify with others, compounded with their self-sacrificial dispositions, tends to leave them confused as to who they really are. Their quiet personalities further feeds their feelings of depersonalization. The INFP's quest for self-identity then seems even more alluring — but increasingly impossible to attain.

As with all NFs, the INFP will feel lost and perplexed at stressful times. As stress builds, INFPs become disconnected from their own personality and perceived place in life. They will lose sight of who they are in relation to time and place. They may not make basic observations, while instead they will focus on the more abstract and symbolic meanings of a particular interaction. This can sometimes baffle those who expect more direct communication and a fairly concrete relationship.

Replace "code of ethics" with "personal values" and the first bolded part fits me very well. The second bolded part is very true of me, but its also true in a non-stressed state of mind so its not terribly descriptive but it might be fair to say that that quality in me becomes even more heightened and noticable under stress.

When I feel that acting on my values could cause discomfort to someoen else, thats when I feel stress most often and most noticable. The usual pattern is that I will agonize over speaking/acting on my values/feelings/ideas weighing that with all the potential reactions I might get from it and keep putting it off but eventualy the need to express my values/feelings/ideas wins and I look for a way to do that and try to be prepared for the worst case and probable reactions. If the reaction to my expression is not clear then I start to worry and again go back to envisioning worst case scenarios. To me the uncertainty of silence is even more painful than an immediate negative reaction because feedback can be reacted to, but uncertainty leaves me to speculate and I then go into the mode described below.

From "Was That Really Me" by Naomi L. Quenk

Precipitous Action

Introverted Feeling types in the grip are often overwhelmed by the urge to take some action, usually to correct some imagined mistake or incompetence of their own. But where the dominant Extraverted Thinking type uses differentiated judgment in deciding what action to take, if any, the Introverted Feeling type’s actions often exacerbate the problem. A difficult situation may be created where there initially wasn’t one.

At her engagement party, Sylvia, and INFP was kissed playfully be a former boyfriend while both were alone in the kitchen. Later that night, she remembered that a friend of hers had passed by the kitchen door and might have seen the kiss. She called her friend and begged her not to tell anyone. She interpreted her friend’s puzzled response as evidence that she had already told several people. Sylvia then called four more close friends to warn them not to tell. By this time the innocent kiss was common knowledge to virtually everyone who had been at the party. Of course, Sylvia’s fiancé found out about the kissing incident and was hurt and angry. Sylvia’s precipitous “fixing” created and unnecessary problem that required a great deal of real correction.

The urge to take action can also be seen in attempts by Introverted Feeling types to take control. One INFP reported that when things seem out of control, he attempts to put them in order, organize them and piece together data in an orderly, logical, linear fashion. An ISFP responds to such episodes by taking charge of people and ordering them around. Others make lists, organize the list contents logically, and methodically check off the items once they are accomplished.

When I am under stress, I read between the lines on just about everything (I do this normaly too, but when not under stress its more subconscious whereas when under stress I'm activly parsing every word and sensory detail that could tell me anything) and try to react according to what I see "between the lines" as well as what is said that is direct. The problem is that I don't really know if I'm overreacting or if I finally spotted the "key I'm looking for" to help bring understanding and clarity to the situation.

The "feeling lost and confused" part comes only after resolution of some kind has been reached. For me, I consider that part of regaining equilibrium or the healing process to look inside myself for what I need at the moment and what to do about it.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
There were parts of both INTP and INFP that are sadly accurate at times..

INTP:
INTPs lack follow-through and this can isolate their ideas from practical examination. Their notions become over-intellectualized and too abstract to be of practical benefit. With their sharp critical thinking and analytical abilities, INTPs tend to nit-pick, hair-split, and generally overdo simple issues. Their desire for accuracy and precision exacerbates any error they may perceive in themselves or in others — they are, in other words, highly self-critical. Wanting to be competent and know everything, their standards grow increasingly higher. When fear of failing becomes overly pronounced, INTPs are quick to feel unintelligent, slow, and powerless.

If stress continues, the INTP's mind seems to freeze and block out the vital information it has worked so hard to accumulate. Their creative juices stop flowing and they suffer from stage fright, writers block, and a general inhibition of their ingenious thinking and fluent language skills. Preoccupied with performance failure, INTPs become self-consciously distracted in anticipation of their failure. If the stress becomes too overwhelming, the fear of blanking out prevents them from taking risks in areas they desire to succeed in. Attempting to avoid incompetence, they fail to gain the expertise and mastery they so desperately need.

INFP:
INFPs feel internal turmoil when they find themselves in situations in which there is conflict between their inner code of ethics and their relationships with others. They feel caught between pleasing others and maintaining their own integrity. Their natural tendency to identify with others, compounded with their self-sacrificial dispositions, tends to leave them confused as to who they really are. Their quiet personalities further feeds their feelings of depersonalization. The INFP's quest for self-identity then seems even more alluring — but increasingly impossible to attain.

As with all NFs, the INFP will feel lost and perplexed at stressful times. As stress builds, INFPs become disconnected from their own personality and perceived place in life. They will lose sight of who they are in relation to time and place. They may not make basic observations, while instead they will focus on the more abstract and symbolic meanings of a particular interaction. This can sometimes baffle those who expect more direct communication and a fairly concrete relationship.

I know that some of that's mutually exclusive, but it sort of depends on context. Not altogether comfortable to read I suppose, but I guess it happens to everyone now and then.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Great (sarcastic) ISFP fits me

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
ENTJ

ENTJs can get ahead of themselves and jump to conclusions in their effort to get things done. They may need to be reminded to take the time to listen to other points of view. Being tough-minded, ENTJs have a tendency to ignore their own and others’ feelings. With a burning desire to achieve — and a constant eye on how current decision will effect end results — ENTJs may become overly argumentative when obstacles get in their way. Small talk and casual conversations appear frivolous and without merit when projects are at hand. This, along with the NT's nature of being impervious to social conventions and customs, can cause others to feel affronted.

When ENTJs sense that they are losing control, they feel an increasing need for completion. If stress continues, they become distracted by a compelling "got to" and "have to" state of mind. Their need to master a situation then becomes misdirected and they engage in compulsive behaviors that preoccupy their attention and time. Feeling helpless, and lacking confidence, they resort to completing simple, meaningless, repetitive tasks (i.e. cleaning, counting, inspecting ) in an effort to avoid a growing sense of failure. By avoiding ineptitude at all costs, their competence and ability are never fully tested. Ironically, these all-consuming distractions are the very behaviors that prevent ENTJs from fulfilling their basic need for achievement and improvement.

One word: depression. :cry:

rav3n

I don't like these analytics since they're solely focused on success and failure. Life's not black and white like that.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't like these analytics since they're solely focused on success and failure. Life's not black and white like that.

For ENTJ fear of failure is one of greatest. Failure for us is impossible. According to Jung highest tree has a deepest roots which means if you have an ability to be on highest heaven you must first visit deepest part of your hell and conquer it. :)

rav3n

For ENTJ fear of failure is one of greatest. According to Jung highest tree has a deepest roots which means if you have an ability to be on highest heaven you must first visit deepest part of your hell an conquer it. :)
I don't agree that fear of failure is one of ENTJ's greatest fears. Look to how ENTJs adhere to the 80/20 rule and are generalists. It's not possible to not fail in some manner, with this in mind.

Fear of failure is tied into perfectionism which isn't an ENTJ trait. That belongs to introverted types.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fear of failure is tied into perfectionism which isn't an ENTJ trait. That belongs to introverted types.

Sorry, perfectionism is XNTJ trait.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
There's no such thing as an XNTJ.

I mean INTJ and ENTJ. :dry:

“I think to most ENTJs we fear failure more than anything else. We have high standards and won’t accept anything less than perfection in many cases. Not meeting my potential or living a meaningless life is something I worry about a lot.”
– Jennifer, an #ENTJ

rav3n

I mean INTJ and ENTJ. :dry:

“I think to most ENTJs we fear failure more than anything else. We have high standards and won’t accept anything less than perfection in many cases. Not meeting my potential or living a meaningless life is something I worry about a lot.”
– Jennifer, an #ENTJ
Again, that's not logical when considering the ENTJ generalist profile.

Jaguar

So because some chick named Jennifer fears failure, all ENTJs fear failure? "I saw a black man rob a bank last week, ergo, all black men rob banks."

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Again, that's not logical when considering the ENTJ generalist profile.

If you have a high standard to others and self you are already a perfectionist. :)

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
So because some chick named Jennifer fears failure, all ENTJs fear failure? "I saw a black man rob a bank last week, ergo, all black men rob banks."

Because it is a stress for ENTJ. Back to previous page. ;)

rav3n

Can't speak for all ENTJs but I'm not afraid of failure. If I fail, I'll find another way to get what I want and more importantly, learn from that failure through takeaway.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think because ENTJ are sort of risk taker and enormous challengers we can overcome our fear of failure so we have a tendency to sometimes jump into things but still when I have to done something I will never done for sake to be done. Failure as weakness is not an option. Because ENTJ boost other people in war, failure in the minds of soldiers and general himself may not have a place.

rav3n

I think because ENTJ are sort of risk taker and enormous challengers we can overcome our fear of failure so we have a tendency to sometimes jump into things but still when I have to done something I will never done for sake to be done. Failure as weakness is not an option. Because ENTJ boost other people in war, failure in the minds of soldiers and general himself may not have a place.
That's such a copout. Everyone has a fear of failure to some degree. But if people are capable of overcoming their fear of failure, it's no longer a major issue aka stress point. Understand?