• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type relationships (counterpart, contrast, pedagogoue etc.)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
typelogic.com lists them all for each type. can someone explain the logic behind this (i.e. how it's calculated on a function to function basis) and if we think it has any validity?
thanks

Identity
Pal
Complement
Contrast
Supplement
Anima
Suitemate
Cohort
Companion
Tribesman
Advisor
Pedagogue
Enigma
Novelty
Neighbor
Counterpart

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like Socionics...

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
their explanation is this, in some cases it makes more sense than others:

Relationship Pairs: Definitions

Advisor each has an area of insight that the other lacks
Cohort mutually drawn into experiential escapades
Companion similar modes of expression: bear each other's company well
Complement compatible strengths with opposite emphases
Supplement like Pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other's strengths
Tribesman share a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities
Anima fits Dr. Beebe's description of the anima/anumus: each is the other's inferior (4th) function
Contrast point and counterpoint on each function
Counterpart perform similar functions in totally different realms
Enigma a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet
Identity same types: a typological mirror-image
Neighbor arrive at the same place by variant processes
Novelty intriguingly different: interestingly so
Pal work and play well together: minimal natural type conflict
Pedagogue each is both the other's mentor and student: has a "parent to child" feel
Suitemate a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don't necessarily have much in common as far as goals or world view

And then this, where they try to sell you software :D:
TypeLogic: Software Page

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Some of them make sense to me. The Enigma is simply the type those full 8 function order is the exact opposite of your own. In MBTI terms, their way of thinking is as far removed from your own as possible. For an INTJ like myself, the enigma type is ISFJ. For an INTP, it is ISFP.

The anima type is the one whos first four functions are the same as your own, but in the opposite order. So mine is ESFP, and yours is ESFJ. The anima types start of very different, but will tend to understand reach others way of thinking more over time, as their tertiary and inferior functions develop

The meaning of the others is a little hazy to me, as is the function relationship.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay....I'll analyze this for myself, according to the INFP matches for each of these.

Identity INFP
- duh

Pal ENFP (work and play well together: minimal natural type conflict)
- Very true. I've had several close ENFP friends and we click really well.

Complement INFJ (Complement compatible strengths with opposite emphases)
- Makes sense. :yes:

Contrast ENFJ (Contrast point and counterpoint on each function)
- True, but I find this almost more complimentary, in my friendships anyway.

Supplement ISTJ (Supplement like Pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other's strengths)
- I find I can work well with an ISTJ in an office. Anything beyond a casual friendship and we clash. They can be too stuffy, and I can be too weird for them.

Anima ESTJ (Anima fits Dr. Beebe's description of the anima/anumus: each is the other's inferior (4th) function)
- Sort of on parallel planes that rarely cross. I don't know too many ESTJs personally. They are all around me, but we're going in different directions.

Suitemate ISFJ (Suitemate a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don't necessarily have much in common as far as goals or world view)
- True, we can clash on perspectives, but we generally gel pretty well.

Cohort ESFJ (Cohort mutually drawn into experiential escapades)
- Experiential escapades? I don't feel that vibe from ESFJs. Maybe I've met the wrong ones :D.

Companion INTP (Companion similar modes of expression: bear each other's company well)
- Definitely. Besides ENFJs, my best guy friends tend to be INTPs.

Tribesman ENTP (Tribesman share a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities)
- Definitely. Funny how similar yet different my ENTP dad and I am. We're both creative and independent, but our personalities aren't much alike at all.

Advisor INTJ (Advisor each has an area of insight that the other lacks)
- Possible, but I've yet to feel advised by an INTJ. I feel like I school them :devil:

Pedagogue ENTJ (Pedagogue each is both the other's mentor and student: has a "parent to child" feel)
- Not so sure about that. I think my aunt is ENTJ and I feel more cohort with her than an ESFJ.

Enigma ISTP (Enigma a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet)
- Foreign, as in exotic, and appealing because of it :newwink:

Novelty ESTP (Novelty intriguingly different: interestingly so)
- Yes....too bad novelty wears thin quickly.

Neighbor ISFP (Neighbor arrive at the same place by variant processes)
- Yes...totally makes sense. I feel a lot of similarities, but also stark differences with ISFPs I know.

Counterpart ESFP (Counterpart perform similar functions in totally different realms)
- Not sure what that means (similar functions?)...but I have several ESFP friends. I like them when they are smart and have well-developed Fi. :cheese:

So I guess it is a pretty decent system, as far as my personal experiences go.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
that's quite interesting and I think it makes sense. I'd like to see more in depth descriptions of these type relationships.

I like that it acknowledges the closer relationships and that the choices and order of preference make sense - for me particularly that first 4 and the neighbour are interesting. I don't think I know the types of enough people to consider the other relationships. It would take more thought.

Anima ESTJ (Anima fits Dr. Beebe's description of the anima/anumus: each is the other's inferior (4th) function)
- Sort of on parallel planes that rarely cross. I don't know too many ESTJs personally. They are all around me, but we're going in different directions.
This one is of particular interest to me because my sister (according to my best guess) is an ESTJ. Being complete opposites, we have clashed a lot over the years, so I'm always interested in better understanding that interaction.

To me, my sister is like the un-forgiving voice in the back my head that tells me I'm crap and useless. I guess this voice exists to motivate you and to avoid getting bogged down in your natural instictive reactions to things - kind of a shame and guilt meter. Specifically it says that I'm: lazy, disorganized, indecisive, anti-social, too unassertive, too scruffy, too celebral, too absent-minded, too accepting and forgiving, unnecessarily weird, inappropriate, self-involved, prone to over-think and over-complicate, and too withdrawn from and disrespectful toward social customs or expected behaviours. As you can imagine this is kinda brutal and difficult to deal with, but its even worse when you have to hear it from you sister. But my behaviour is always going to seem counter-intuitive to a ESTJ and vice-versa.

I wonder whether I'm the evil voice in her head. That's a scary thought :shock:

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think it's interesting that Keirsey thought it best to pair types off romantically into what this site considers to be the "parent-child" relationship. Socinonics finds the parent-child relationship, or Relation of Supervision(exp.ENFP/INTJ, ISFP/ENFJ, ENTP/INFJ,etc..) to be one of the most complicated over the long-term. Weird, but I'm pretty sure I'd hate being the "supervised". Imago, I guess. How about, "hell no".:D

In my experience, I get along best with my Companion(ENTP), Neighbor(ESFP), Enigma(ESTP), Novelty(ISTP), Counterpart(ISFP), and Suitemate(ESFJ). I feel immediately close to many ESTPs and ESFPs though, no issues understanding them. "Enigma" and "Suitemate" don't fit well for those types, in my experience.

wolfy

awsm
I think it's interesting that Keirsey thought it best to pair types off romantically into what this site considers to be the "parent-child" relationship. Socinonics finds the parent-child relationship, or Relation of Supervision(exp.ENFP/INTJ, ISFP/ENFJ, ENTP/INFJ,etc..) to be one of the most difficult. Weird, but I'm pretty sure I'd hate being the "supervised". Imago, I guess. How about, "hell no".:D

Keirsey was working from a different system. If you think about the way he paired them it makes sense in that the relationship would combine to create balance. Of course he was working from stereotypes from either end of the temperament stereotypes.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Keirsey was working from a different system. If you think about the way he paired them it makes sense in that the relationship would combine to create balance. Of course he was working from stereotypes from either end of the temperament stereotypes.
I was just saying that one theory suggest the "parent-child" relationship to be the best, and the other suggest it to be one of the worst.

wolfy

awsm
I was just saying that one theory suggest the "parent-child" relationship to be the best, and the other suggest it to be one of the worst.

Keirsey types cooperative types with pragmatic types while keeping the other aspects the same.

While socionics deals with needs of the ego and so forth. Supervision.

What I am saying is that although the systems use the same or similar coding the basic framework that they are built on are fundamentally different.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
You can get the type relationships on this site: typelogic.com (and then click on your type).

Info on the relationships are here: Relationship Pairs: Definitions

Advisor: each has an area of insight that the other lacks
Cohort: mutually drawn into experiential escapades
Companion: similar modes of expression: bear each other's company well
Complement: compatible strengths with opposite emphases
Supplement: like Pal, but functions are farther removed: each can add to the other's strengths
Tribesman: share a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities
Anima: fits Dr. Beebe's description of the anima/anumus: each is the other's inferior (4th) function
Contrast: point and counterpoint on each function
Counterpart: perform similar functions in totally different realms
Enigma: a puzzle: totally foreign in nearly every facet
Identity: same types: a typological mirror-image
Neighbor: arrive at the same place by variant processes
Novelty: intriguingly different: interestingly so
Pal: work and play well together: minimal natural type conflict
Pedagogue: each is both the other's mentor and student: has a "parent to child" feel
Suitemate: a person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don't necessarily have much in common as far as goals or world view

For the ISTJ:

Identity: ISTJ
Supplement: INFP
Companion: ISFJ
Enigma: INFJ
Pal: ESTJ
Anima: ENFP
Tribesman: ESFJ
Novelty: ENFJ
Complement: ISTP
Suitemate: INTP
Advisor: ISFP
Neighbor: INTJ
Contrast: ESTP
Cohort: ENTP
Pedagogue: ESFP
Counterpart: ENTJ

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
so how owuld my relationship with my contrast work? (i.e. an ENTJ)

Do I use Ti to her Te and Ne to her Ni, or is it a case of I use Ne to her Te and Ti to her Ni (seems to make more sense I guess)...

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
so how owuld my relationship with my contrast work? (i.e. an ENTJ)

Do I use Ti to her Te and Ne to her Ni, or is it a case of I use Ne to her Te and Ti to her Ni (seems to make more sense I guess)...

I would think that would depend on the situation, if the theory is right. I can see it going either good or bad.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To me, my sister is like the un-forgiving voice in the back my head that tells me I'm crap and useless.

But my behaviour is always going to seem counter-intuitive to a ESTJ and vice-versa.

I wonder whether I'm the evil voice in her head. That's a scary thought :shock:

:D

Short anecdote:

That reminds me of this ESTJ guy on this message board I used to post at (non-MBTI board, but I typed him). He was a very smart guy and made some interesting posts, but he could really rub me the wrong way, as he had these very sure opinions on how everything should be done (and how everything's so easy....and why can't other people get it through their heads?). Every now and then he'd go off about "wacky" people, who, honestly, sounded like me :D. However, I could always get to him by pointing out that he was not compassionate enough or able to see other perspectives. I think I was the evil Ne Fi voice in his head: "I am not kind or caring or open-minded enough".

Even more amusing was how he typed ENFP when an MBTI thread was made....there's no way he was an NF, but a part of him was pained not to be. He also made posts about how he used to always date these brooding, philosophical women and it never worked out, so he finally went against his "type" and dated an outgoing, practical woman and they got married and lived happily ever after (his wife sounds ESFJ). I think he was always trying to date his shadow before....

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This looks like what I was trying to suggest here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ality-matrices/22025-intertype-relations.html

I know Socionics had a developed complete Intertype dynamic (which is whay some said they lked it better), and I suggested that Beebe's model provided the basis for that in MBTI, but didn't know TypeLogic did that.
(I have seen those type profiles, and probably thought the names at the bottom were their names for the types).

I wonder if they discuss all eight processes and archetypes. (They do mention Beebe regarding the anima, and they mention something about "Type and Shadow", but many often refer to the Inferior as shadow).