• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difference between art...

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm just wondering what the differences between art an INFP creates, and art an ISFP creates? I am just talking about actual 'art' such as painting/drawing but other examples can be used too :)

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
ISFP art is pretty, and INFP art is disturbing and/or nonsensical.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Some art is designed to simply be beautiful to look at. This is the type of art that an ISFP would likely draw. Other art is meant to be metaphorical or abstract. This is more suited to an INFP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are many dark ISFPs and light-hearted INFPs.

I think INFPs do tend to take a more conceptual approach. ISFPs seem more straight-forward (for lack of a better word), but that doesn't always result in something any less "abstract". I mean, I think Pollack was ISFP.

B

brainheart

There are many dark ISFPs and light-hearted INFPs.

I think INFPs do tend to take a more conceptual approach. ISFPs seem more straight-forward (for lack of a better word), but that doesn't always result in something any less "abstract". I mean, I think Pollack was ISFP.

er, yeah. and wasn't Van Gogh an ISFP, supposedly?

I would just think 'disturbed' coincides with Fi feeling a range of things and having to let it out.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
I can say for myself, with ISfp preferences that the art may be more technical...more about competent results than unusual concepts? More of an artisan's approach. Not that something couldn't be abstract in theme....and perhaps once (we) have found a niche we pursue it vigorously.

B

brainheart

I think there is also a focus on the actual process, the feel of doing it and the pleasure that it produces for ISFPs, although that may be the case for INFPs as well, not like I know. But yes, if it doesn't look good to you, technically, it is a disappointment. My best art is either profoundly simplistic/comic strip or extremely detailed. And it is based on something real.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think there is also a focus on the actual process, the feel of doing it and the pleasure that it produces for ISFPs, although that may be the case for INFPs as well, not like I know. But yes, if it doesn't look good to you, technically, it is a disappointment. My best art is either profoundly simplistic/comic strip or extremely detailed. And it is based on something real.
Yes, I've said before, I don't have the patience to create most kinds of art really well because I don't get enough out of the process of executing my ideas (and personally I'm just not very good at it). I get pleasure from the process of creative writing, but that's about it. Probably some INFPs do develop enough Se to become great visual, kinaesthetic or musical artists, but the average INFP won't hone those skills as well as the average ISFP.

As for the content, that will depend on the strength of the preference I suppose, but I imagine in general INFP art would be more conceptual, ISFP art more down-to-earth.