• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What happens when the inferior first kicks in at a young age?

VagrantFarce

Hm, that sounds more like some Fi stuff kicking in. It happens to me too when I really like a guy. We Ti users don't really know how to make logical sense out of strong emotions, and it really bother us. It's something I envy in FPs some times. It would probably make dating a lot more natural for me. But anyway, Fe isn't really responsible for strong internal, personal emotions.

What she described didn't seem any more Fi or Fe. It's silly to redact Fi as "inner emotions" and Fe as "outer emotions"; they're both "felt" equally. The difference is that Fe is more situational, and Fi is more absolute. :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm, that sounds more like some Fi stuff kicking in. It happens to me too when I really like a guy. We Ti users don't really know how to make logical sense out of strong emotions, and it really bother us. It's something I envy in FPs some times. It would probably make dating a lot more natural for me. But anyway, Fe isn't really responsible for strong internal, personal emotions.

Hmmmm i see. I guess I don't know the difference between fe and fi

It could also be undifferentiated emotion (not particularly Fe or Fi, but just natural human emotion shared by any type).

It seems INTP's do tend to attribute all of their emotion to Fe, when some of it might be either undifferentiated, or perhaps Fe's shadow Fi. The distinct function-attitudes are generally connected to complexes in the ego. In the case of just feeling emotions for a guy, it does not seem to be a complex like animus or daimon, so it probably does not have to be classified as Fe or Fi, though those could get involved in particular situations.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
Hmmmm I realize I don't understand what Fe really is. Every time I try to read more about it and try to understand the difference between that and Fi though it confuses me..

VagrantFarce

Fi is about measuring personal worth, in yourself and others. It's similar to Ti in that it seeks to understand things, but it focuses on personal values rather than impersonal analysis. Everytime you've felt "this just isn't me, it doesn't reflect who I am and what I value" or "what we're doing here just isn't congruent with what is important" or "that tie just isnt you, stop pretending and just be yourself!", you've been using Fi. :)

Fe is about considering others and adhering to shared values; basically, concerning yourself with the community rather than the individual. So whenever you've felt a desire to fit in with others, or laughed at someone's jokes to be kind, or thought in terms of appropiate or inappropiate behaviour, or even just said your pleases and thank yous, you've been using Fe. :) It's similar to Te in that it takes a far more "rational" approach to expressing emotions.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
What she described didn't seem any more Fi or Fe. It's silly to redact Fi as "inner emotions" and Fe as "outer emotions"; they're both "felt" equally. The difference is that Fe is more situational, and Fi is more absolute. :)

Sure, Fe and Fi are both "felt", but isn't one more about personal emotions/beliefs (Fi) and the other more about sympathy/regard for keeping social harmony in place? This would make Fi more absolute in that one is likely to have consistent personal feelings on a certain matter and thus act in a consistent way based on these feelings, while Fe is more situational in that actions/standards bend any which way just so long as social harmony is kept.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Fi is about measuring personal worth, in yourself and others. It's similar to Ti in that it seeks to understand things, but it focuses on personal values rather than impersonal analysis. Everytime you've felt "this just isn't me, it doesn't reflect who I am and what I value" or "what we're doing here just isn't congruent with what is important" or "that tie just isnt you, stop pretending and just be yourself!", you've been using Fi. :)

So wouldn't love for somebody be more of an Fi thing then? It's an emotion that you feel towards somebody based on the things that you value in them. Is this not directly related to personal values?

VagrantFarce

So wouldn't love for somebody be more of an Fi thing then? It's an emotion that you feel towards somebody based on the things that you value in them. Is this not directly related to personal values?

Not neccessarilly, "love" can occur for all sorts of bizaare reasons and it differs from person to person. I don't see how you can easily match it to just one of the cognitive functions.

To be quite honest, I think explaining the supposed mechanics of "love" is way out of reach of Jung's cognitive functions. It's just too fucking wierd. :)

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
So would feeling discomfort when someone else is upset in the room be Fe?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be quite honest, I think explaining the supposed mechanics of "love" is way out of reach of Jung's cognitive functions. It's just too fucking wierd. :)

Don't ruin her fun. :\

As for the feely thing milkyway, I think that Fe kicked in at a very early age. You were aware of it's existence, you wouldn't even think of how stoic you were if you didn't have it.

As for the crush thing, well. I would say that for T's in general love is very weird, and the influx of emotions would put a T off because they aren't used to be as "feely" (for lack of a better word).

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Not neccessarilly, "love" can occur for all sorts of bizaare reasons and it differs from person to person. I don't see how you can easily match it to just one of the cognitive functions.

Sure, love can occur for all sorts of reasons, but when it comes down to it, isn't love for a person (that emotional, warm, cozy feeling we get when we are in relationships) easily attributed to Fi? I have a set of things that I value in somebody, and when I meet someone that fits those values, there's a potential for me to fall in love with that person (though it's not as formulaic and systematic as I'm making it sound here). Why do I value these things? There's no real logical reason for it; it's all just arbitrary emotional convictions when it comes down to it. I can formulate as many "reasons" as I want, but the only thing that's really truly making me be convicted to my values is Fi. Maybe that's just me though, or maybe I have a twisted interpretation of what Fi is. I always thought it was the function that causes us to be convicted to a personal belief/value system though, regardless of how "logical", "ethical", or otherwise "arbitrary" that belief system is. The stronger the Fi is in somebody, the less easily swayed they are from their personal values.

And yeah, don't ruin my fun! I think it's an interesting thought challenge to attempt to describe love in such a way. Maybe you just prefer to not analyze love because you are a Ti dom ;) But wait??

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, and I don't know if this is related in any way, shape, or form ... but I seemed to be a lot more attracted to the occult, symbols, and the fantastic as a teenager, which is probably why I first got a result as INFJ when I took the MBTI test at seventeen. I mean, really, really really. I was known for this stuff amongst my friends, like, "marmalade will read your tarot cards and do your astrology chart." I was also obsessed with making connections between spirituality, psychology, and science. I used to do meditations to develop my intuition and "psychic abilities."

Is this Ni, or was I just particularly fanciful as an adolescent?

I don't think it's Ni, I think it's just what you were interested in at the time; speaks more towards what fascinated you!! (and I think the whole linkage of 'psychic abilities' (in the new age sense) and Ni is a poor one; it has nothing to do with what Ni actually embodies)

I'd say I started being more concerned with externalizing myself, as well as embracing the moment and getting myself more 'out there' in the world and out of my comfort zone, in my early to mid-20's. I realized I'd spent the majority of my existence up til then just existing in my own head, without really reaching out to others or being able to let go and take things as they came... actually I think my Fe and Se kinda grew in tandem. :yes: Ni and Ti were what I leaned on almost exclusively prior.

VagrantFarce

Maybe you just prefer to not analyze love because you are a Ti dom ;) But wait??

lol, that's probably it. :D

So would feeling discomfort when someone else is upset in the room be Fe?

You know what, I'm not sure. That could be an either/or situation. Although I do get that "feeling embarrased on behalf of others" feeling when someone does something stupid, even if that might not be what other people are feeling. Shows like The Office are full of those sorts of awkward silences.

I wonder if Fi can ever be described as "awkward". :D