• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary Attracted to Primary Function

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In light of the how much attention shadow, enigma and opposite function pairings get, I thought I'd throw this moldy bone out there.

After many private conversations with the illustrious UDog (we puffed on pipes and wore satin smoking jackets whilst calling ourselves Righty-oh and Mr. Quite, Esquire), I began to wonder (aloud, and that's when the White Coats strode in - please forward my mail to my mother... dear mother... *weeps*) at the number of tertiary-primary pairings, if there was merit to them or simply something interesting to stare at (like monkeys who should be wearing pants who are now waving their pants above their heads and singing, "This is How We Do It".)

I wish to preface this "idee" of mine by saying this is in no way a detractor to other pairings, or a promotion of said tertiary-primary pairings. Just a chance to rubberneck at the unholy mess that I discover when my brain has not picked up its clutter or hung up its clothes (*steps in three week old pizza*). I'm simply pointing out what may cause a draw; whether it's a good thing or not is up to you to decide.

This works as follows: Tertiary attracted to Primary, and the function that is the apparent lynch pin.

ESFP > ESTJ, ENTJ [Te]
ENFP > ESTJ, ENTJ [Te]

ESTP > ESFJ, ENFJ [Fe]
ENTP > ESFJ, ENFJ [Fe]

ESTJ > ENFP, ENTP [Ne]
ESFJ> ENFP, ENTP [Ne]

ENTJ> ESTP, ESFP [Se]
ENFJ> ESTP, ESFP [Se]

ISTJ> ISFP, INFP [Fi]
INTJ> ISFP, INFP [Fi]

ISFJ> ISTP, INTP [Ti]
INFJ> ISTP, INTP [Ti]

ISTP> INFJ, INTJ [Ni]
ISFP> INFJ, INTJ [Ni]

INTP> ISFJ, ISTJ [Si]
INFP> ISFJ, ISTJ [Si]

Thoughts?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I like INTJs a lot.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Immediately I think that ISFJ has always appealed to me, but I wouldn't have attributed it to Si. But that's likely because I don't have a very good understanding of what Si is or how it works so I'm going to go look into that and come back.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about individuals being pulled to become more like the dominant variation of their tertiary function? Or are you talking about people being drawn to those who have the dominant version of their tertiary function?

edit-Oh, I see how others have answered. No, I can't really agree with this.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Blah - yeah, I know, it doesn't work quite right, especially not for, perhaps say, skewing for gender. It's just a rough idea we can toss around and get splinters from.

Cat - I've known an INTJ - IxFP pair that have been together longer than I've been alive and I'm in love with them. They make such a great couple.

Sof - Go read up on the functions and see what you think. :)

I'm doing this in response to a question that was raised about an ENTJ I know who's been dating an ESFP and it's headed for matrimony. She's also been attracted to ESTPs before too, so I think, in that case, it's an attraction to physical mastery (Se)?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ehhhhhhh I don't know how I feel about ESTP/ESFPs

Probably not.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I know that I have grated on the nerves of every confirmed or assumed ESTJ I've ever known. Some ESFJs have been drawn to me though (that reaction tends to be either affection or repulsion).

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yep, I get on very well with Te doms. I don't ever remember having conflicts with them IRL or wishing I didn't have to deal with them.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Errrr...no thanks. Sorry but if I'm ENFP that means Te doms, and if I'm INFP that means Si doms...and just...no, I'm sorry.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
ISFJ has the bonus (for me) of its tertiary function being my dominant, so it would theoretically be a mutual attraction. If you work that into your theory you get 8 pairs:

ESTJ > ENFP
ESFJ > ENTP
ENTJ > ESFP
ENFJ > ESTP
ISTP > INFJ
ISFP > INTJ
INTP > ISFJ
INFP > ISTJ

The pattern being that I or E always stays the same while the others are always switched.

Inferior Ne, however, sounds potentially infuriating to me, but that might just mean an initial attraction that proves to not be as perfect as it once seemed.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's fine! Good or bad, doesn't matter :)

Perhaps the question should be:

If I were X Tertiary, and I was attracted to Y Primary, is it because of mutual Y-function? For example, are ENFPs, IF ATTRACTED to ESTJs and ENTJs, attracted to Te? Is that the draw?

Are INTPs consistently drawn toward ISxJs for the reasons of bolstering Si?

Are ISTPs, like INTJMom's husband, initially awakened to their love interests by the use of Ni in said subjects if they are attracted to Ni users in the first place?

I'd also like to posit that most people use their third function as a way out of trouble before the agent of chaos (inferior function) kicks in, usually to bad results (esp if you're stressed and not accessing your inferior function purposefully in a guided manner). I see the Tertiary function as being very powerful, transformative even, though it comes in so belated.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's certainly an interesting theory.

R

Riva

Maybe it's primary attracted to the inferior rather than the tertiary??

Off topic
I was gonna say four-tiary :whistling:
Is there a word for that like - primary, secondary, tertiary etc.

*backs off slowly and quietly*

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
If I were X Tertiary, and I was attracted to Y Primary, is it because of mutual Y-function?

Although I find dominant Fe endearing (and important) in an objective way, it also makes me want to pull back. It feels like a bunch of stuff coming at me.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
It might be the fact that we are apt to wholly discount out inferior function, but our tertiary function we have enough aptitude for that we can admire someone in whom it is well-developed. Something you're not great at, but able to appreciate. So in the mutual pairs, each has a strength that the other admires.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Although I find dominant Fe endearing (and important) in an objective way, it also makes me want to pull back. It feels like a bunch of stuff coming at me.

I'm attracted to Ne, and I don't consciously use it, so obviously the theory (if you can even call it that) is deeply flawed. Or weird. Or warping space time.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might be the fact that we are apt to wholly discount out inferior function, but our tertiary function we have enough aptitude for that we can admire someone in whom it is well-developed. Something you're not great at, but able to appreciate. So in the mutual pairs, each has a strength that the other admires.

That sounds very plausible. :yes:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

That's it. I can admire the quality, but I don't prefer to interact directly with someone who has it. To put it another way: I would hire an ExFJ, but anything personal would make me reluctant.

That doesn't mean I don't like them. It's often the opposite. It's just that it can seem like too much for me.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ