• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary Attracted to Primary Function

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, I agree with this. :yes:

Sorry I don't have more to say, but I've come up with this idea before. The danger, though, is that these pairs can easily become a serious drain on each other. In some cases, the stronger of the two can become a parasite.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Another pattern of those eight pairs is that each one's inferior is the other's secondary.

So... we consciously admire our tertiary function, a minor weakness, as a dominant function as others.
But we unconsciously admire our inferior function, a major weakness, so we like it as a secondary in others while as a dominant we would find it overwhelming.

I know it's not quite right to refer to them as "weaknesses" but I don't know what else to call them.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
ISTJs and ISFJs are good people, but the ones I know off of this forum focus a little too much on seemingly monotonous details of everyday life for my taste; also highly prone to seeing things from an nonadjustable black-and-white perspective. Of course, I haven't quite met an IS_J like that on this forum and by no means will propose that it defines all IS_Js.

Si as I've seen it feels too mindless and controlling. If something attracted me to an IS_J, it would probably be the Fe or Te.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
If I may be allowed to toot my own horn, this might illuminate (pardon me, I just watched Angels and Demons) Si a little better.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...rices/24261-si-comfort-zone-2.html#post925620

Thanks, that was helpful. I feel like I understand how Si works for me pretty well now, but I still don't quite understand what it's like to have it as a dominant function. Not helped by this, which was evidently written by someone who doesn't think very highly of ISFJs as they are described at the epitome of a doormat. This one's much better.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Neat stuff.:) I think Te doms and Si doms have attracted me, primarily, when I've felt like I needed to compensate for some deficiency in myself as a result of feeling depressed. Se is most attractive to me any other time. Next, are Ti and Ne.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. Interesting. I'm dating an INFJ and strangely enough I collect INTJ friends like no one's business! We seem to have instant and easy connections.

V

violaine

The theory holds for me, Pink. I am weirdly drawn to ISTPs and INTPs in real life. I haven't met many but almost every one of them 'pops' out from the background to me. It's very odd and compelling. But nothing ever really comes of it and it always feels like a lot is lost in translation too. Has the feeling of a good, solid friendship after some time.

G

Glycerine

That makes sense, Pink. I have always found ESTPs and IXTPs to be most amusing.
On a side note, are you reconsidering your type: XNFJ?

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Thoughts?

So reciprocal 3rd-1st, 1st-3rd will be especially attracted to eachother?
E.g. INTP <-> ISFJ : Ti-Si <-> Si-Ti ?
Very interesting.
What do you see as the direction of the attraction, 3rd attracting 1st or the other way around?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
So reciprocal 3rd-1st, 1st-3rd will be especially attracted to eachother?
E.g. INTP <-> ISFJ : Ti-Si <-> Si-Ti ?
Very interesting.
What do you see as the direction of the attraction, 3rd attracting 1st or the other way around?

In Socionics, it's essentially 1st to 3rd.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think I'm drawn to people who have my tertiary function at all (in fact quite the opposite), but I am drawn to the function itself, as in I would like to further develop it in myself.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to like Fe dom and Ti dom in guys, so this doesn't click for me.
It seems to pair all I with I and E with E also. If I had my choice, I think I might prefer an extrovert, or someone on the I/E border.

However, this may explain why IRL I seem to attract a lot of IxTJs . I personally am not into them... Although I don't know any ISFJ guys, save one, and I didn't know him very well. I have a hard time seeing myself happy with an ISxJ or INTJ, but I wouldn't be closed to the idea.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The tertiary is carried by the Child complex (while dominant is hero, and aux. is parent), so the tertiary will tend to look up to its hero and parent counterparts in others.

I do have an attraction to ISFJ's (Like Ugly Betty; watching right now) and ISTJ's (through growing up with the latter, I find that they are not as "nice and sweet", though they might look the same on the surface).
Too much of others' dom or aux version of your tertiary will become intimidating or smothering.
It's s similar dynamic for the inferior.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Let's see here:

ISFJs.
Yeah, I think most of my crushes in the past have been on ISFJs.
Unfortunately, I realize too late that we aren't exactly compatible.

I'm also all for INTJs macking on INFPs. Yes Please. The only problem there is that there aren't that many of those guys (what, like .0001% of the population :doh:).

But, ISTJs? No. I can't even imagine. Just... never. :sick:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are ISTPs, like INTJMom's husband, initially awakened to their love interests by the use of Ni in said subjects if they are attracted to Ni users in the first place?
Nah. He was attracted to my spandex jeans.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just logging in on the OP:

I really really like ISFJs.
I don't much like ISTJs at all.

VagrantFarce

Of all the things that people use the MBTI to determine, determining relationship success is the worst.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have also noticed at least a half dozen happy INFP/ISTJ marriages/long-term relationships.