• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do some people on this forum seem to dislike MBTI?

Mole

Permabanned
And the whole of typology.
I've seen comments to the effect of saying "MBTI will ruin your life!"
Sure, you can disagree with it. But why join the forum?

"Typology", means the study of types. It can be the types of anything from mathematical types to musical types and everything in between.

And we are not called, "MBTI Central", nor are we called, "Astrology Central", we are called, "Typology Central".

And I was invited to join this forum because it is tolerant and well run - and so it is.

S

Sniffles

There's only one person here I notice who continously rants against typology - and that's Victor.

Mole

Permabanned
There's only one person here I notice who continously rants against typology - and that's Victor.

But I don't rant against typology. I only rant against MBTI.

I am sanguine towards typology but I find myself surrounded by those who have fallen for the confidence trick of MBTI.

But what is most telling is that many of those who have fallen for MBTI have also fallen for astrology.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think some of you initially started investing too much into MBTI and then became disillusioned... and bitter.

Here Victor, over a year ago, explains his disillusionment:

MBTI begins with an illusion but if you look into the nature and history of MBTI, you soon become disillusioned.

And this is the nature of learning - first we are illusioned then we learn and become disillusioned - this can be a painful and disorientating experience.

Usually I fall in love with a new book and I devour it. Then I start to think about it - I start to analyse it - I start to compare it - I start to criticise it. And before long, I start to fall out of love with this particular book.

So first, I eat the book, then I digest the book, then I eliminate the book. Then I am ready for my next book.

But whatever we call it, it flows on emotion. Illusion is accompanied by all the emotion of falling in love. And disillusion is accompanied by all the emotion of betrayed love, of disappointment, of disorientation.

Of course there is no rational reason for this disillusionment, if you take MBTI for what it is in the first place; a crude tool in the very new field of psychometrics. Studying personality isn't an unworthy practice, it's extremely relevant to our lives, but it's very far away from being a precise science.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Mr. Carroll actually uses his brain. How refreshing. :newwink:

Hehe. Apologies for the cop out, by not writing something eloquent along similar lines. I think RT Carroll doesn't need my help.

The article generated a fair amount of feedback at the scepdic website. One assumes that much of the feedback (or at least some of it) comes from regular readers of this most rational of rationalist websites.

The readers' retorts and Carroll's replies are more relevant to the problems of MBTI™ than can be found here on Typo-C.

There's 3 pages of readers replies, all of them oozing dissonance.

Myers Briggs Type Indicator - reader comments -The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

It's curious why people get so defensive about MBTI. Particularly in light of the notice to desist order placed on this site by the owners of the MBTI™.

It's clear that MBTI™ want nothing to do with this site and are more than happy to slap legal notices on it. Now that's not a very nice thing to do to your biggest fans.:)

Jaguar

Hehe. Apologies for the cop out, by not writing something eloquent along similar lines. I think RT Carroll doesn't need my help.

The article generated a fair amount of feedback at the scepdic website. One assumes that much of the feedback (or at least some of it) comes from regular readers of this most rational of rationalist websites.

The readers' retorts and Carroll's replies are more relevant to the problems of MBTI™ than can be found here on Typo-C.

There's 3 pages of readers replies, all of them oozing dissonance.

Myers Briggs Type Indicator - reader comments -The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

It's curious why people get so defensive about MBTI. Particularly in light of the notice to desist order placed on this site by the owners of the MBTI™.

It's clear that MBTI™ want nothing to do with this site and are more than happy to slap legal notices on it. Now that's not a very nice thing to do to your biggest fans.:)

I didn't take your post as a cop out at all. I would have posted that material the same way you did.

Notice to desist. Lol. You have style my man, style. :D

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
To me, MBTI is just a language, like mathematics.
I use mathematics to describe physical phenomena.
I use MBTI to describe characters. It didn't change my life.
Before I knew of it, I might say I'm creative, disorganized, easily distracted, enthousiastic, compassionate...
Now I would use words like perceiving etc... What's the difference? There is no difference in my general behaviour. There is a difference in the description of it - it's more accurate.
Just like physics is more accurate if you can use the mathematics language.

I like the MBTI language and will continue to use it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it hard to be offended by people exploring what fits and what doesn't.

:yes:

I also find it hard to be offended with people exploring ideas for fun. That's how I view most discussion on this board. I think the people who dislike MBTI on this forum may be the ones taking it too seriously. I go though everyday life hearing conversations being shut down because it's not "real" enough...

Even when I type people in my real life for amusement, it does little to affect my real view of a person as an individual. They are who they are - although it's fun when you type them and see them consistently do/say things that you'd expect their type to do. It's even more fun when they do/say stuff you wouldn't expect them to do.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
And the whole of typology.
I've seen comments to the effect of saying "MBTI will ruin your life!"
Sure, you can disagree with it. But why join the forum?
Yeah... I've wondered the same thing myself many times.

Mole

Permabanned
Yeah... I've wondered the same thing myself many times.

Well, MBTI is like Santa Claus or astrology - it is as children we believe in Santa or the stars.

And as we mature, we put away childish things, except of course to please the children.

Chloe

People expect that typology will give them answers to all their life questions , when that doesnt happen they remain in love-hate relationship with it. but typology is just like a lady, human, imperfect. we barely can accept imperfect humans, so typology has even less right on imperfections, or simply not knowing what will happen tomorrow, whats the best for me, or who i am. how does she dare!!!