• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type related personality disorders

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Check it out. PTypes - Correspondence of PTypes, Keirsey, Enneagram, Psychiatric, and Astrological Types

ENFJ Obsessive-Compulsive
INFJ Avoidant
ENFP Paranoid
INFP Histrionic

ENTJ Sadistic
INTJ Schizotypal
ENTP Compensatory Narcissistic
INTP Schizoid

ESTJ Passive-Aggressive
ISTJ Depressive
ESFJ Masochistic
ISFJ Dependent

ESTP Narcissistic
ISTP Antisocial
ESFP Borderline
ISFP Cyclothymic

There's loads of stuff and links about this. I'm looking forward for the days we can replace the awkward four letters and just use the disorders as type definitions. :yes:

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am nowhere near histrionic.

From the ones listed there, I am closest to schizotypal, schizoid, avoidant, and perhaps borderline and depressive.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i dont agree, with any of these. which type would be asperger?

Jaguar

MBTI measures preferences. That's it.
What's next, suggesting those who prefer mustard on their hotdog have serial-killing tendencies? Lol.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Eh, they're not all garbage, but you might want to look into unbalanced functions where the secondary is underdeveloped (ex. Ni/Ti for INFJ) to better explain a lot of these things. I see a lot of people with social issues that I believe can be explained by Ne/Fe or Fe/Ne (ENTP or ESFJ at their worst). It results in someone who has LOTS of imagination and LOTS of dependence on approval with no internal filter. I would link you to other posts, because I'm sure they exist, but I can't remember any off the top of my head. Another example would be Ni/Ti (interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that Jung classified himself as Ni/Ti, although I have no evidence to back that up), which could result in a very very very intelligent person with absolutely NO grip on reality. I'm sure there's lots of possibilities.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Eh, they're not all garbage, but you might want to look into unbalanced functions where the secondary is underdeveloped (ex. Ni/Ti for INFJ) to better explain a lot of these things. I see a lot of people with social issues that I believe can be explained by Ne/Fe or Fe/Ne (ENTP or ESFJ at their worst).

I can see that if I had gone a different way in the past I might have developed the histrionic disorder. It seems unlikely that an introvert is described as attention-seeking, dramatic and so on, but had I taken introversion as a weakness to be destroyed or at least faked away, I would have been there... So, it is interesting option to consider if the personality disorders are type related into any degree.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I see a lot of people with social issues that I believe can be explained by Ne/Fe or Fe/Ne (ENTP or ESFJ at their worst). It results in someone who has LOTS of imagination and LOTS of dependence on approval with no internal filter.

I agree with this. You are basically describing narcissism at its finest. ENTP and ESFJ don't automatically yield narcissism. I think ENTPs and ESFJs are just more susceptible to being narcissistic because of the potential for an unbalanced introverted function. Ne/Fe with no secondary Si or Ti is a surefire way to depend on your external world for validation.

Another example would be Ni/Ti (interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that Jung classified himself as Ni/Ti, although I have no evidence to back that up), which could result in a very very very intelligent person with absolutely NO grip on reality. I'm sure there's lots of possibilities.

I would expound upon this by saying that you are kind of describing Asperger's syndrome or autism. INFJs with Ni/Ti or INTJs with Ni/Fi and underdeveloped Fe/Te (respectively) would lead to a lots of intelligence and capacity for insight but zero grip on the external world, particularly within social contexts. I don't know if Jung officially had Asperger's, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I'd also go so far as to say that paranoia, shizophrenia, and shizotypal disorders are a result of extreme N with nothing to balance that out.

I think unbalanced Fi also makes people more susceptible to depression, and then maybe Ne/Fi or Se/Fi makes one more vulnerable to bipolar disorder.

Of course, I can't really claim that your personality type causes a disorder. It's probably more accurate to say that a personality disorder causes one to be grouped into a certain type. It's chemistry, not categories.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I agree with this. You are basically describing narcissism at its finest. ENTP and ESFJ don't automatically yield narcissism. I think ENTPs and ESFJs are just more susceptible to being narcissistic because of the potential for an unbalanced introverted function. Ne/Fe with no secondary Si or Ti is a surefire way to depend on your external world for validation.

I would expound upon this by saying that you are kind of describing Asperger's syndrome or autism. INFJs with Ni/Ti or INTJs with Ni/Fi and underdeveloped Fe/Te (respectively) would lead to a lots of intelligence and capacity for insight but zero grip on the external world, particularly within social contexts. I don't know if Jung officially had Asperger's, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I'd also go so far as to say that paranoia, shizophrenia, and shizotypal disorders are a result of extreme N with nothing to balance that out.

I think unbalanced Fi also makes people more susceptible to depression, and then maybe Ne/Fi or Se/Fi makes one more vulnerable to bipolar disorder.

Of course, I can't really claim that your personality type causes a disorder. It's probably more accurate to say that a personality disorder causes one to be grouped into a certain type. It's chemistry, not categories.

Well. Aren't we a clever little pixie.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Meh. I'd found this stuff over ten years ago. I actually had avoidant personality disorder as a teenager (the diagnosis isn't used that much, since it's pretty much a type of generalized social phobia). For that reason, I figured I might be an INFJ (that and the fact that I'd been getting INTJ or INFJ on online tests). The descriptions didn't fit me and I abandoned mbti and related theories for quite a long time.

If one wants to examine correlations between personality type and personality disorders, there are likely several types that tend to be susceptible to each disorder. It seems quite forced that they felt the need to name one type for each disorder, and one disorder for each type.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

How about "certain personality type makes it more probable that you will have certain personality disorder"?

EDIT: Ah, yes, this is what I was going for:

If one wants to examine correlations between personality type and personality disorders, there are likely several types that tend to be susceptible to each disorder. It seems quite forced that they felt the need to name one type for each disorder, and one disorder for each type.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Why yes, I am. My mother's refrigerator is strewn with straight-A report cards and papers with big gold star stickers all over them :smile:

Good for you.

Go to the top of the class. And fall off.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

This.

I'm nowhere near Depressive. I would say out of all these, the closest one for me is Obsessive Compulsive, which is "assigned to" ENFJ.

The thing that gets me laughing is INFP and histrionic... I mean WTF?! Can't get much more B.S. than that. :yim_rolling_on_the_

I stand corrected - it can get more ridiculous - they listed the ESTJ as "leisurely".

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
How about "certain personality type makes it more probable that you will have certain personality disorder"?

I understand that was your original implication. I was just offering a different view; perhaps having a certain disorder twists around the functions and causes one to appear to be a certain type. It's kind of a trivial chicken/egg argument though, so whatev...

Good for you.

Go to the top of the class. And fall off.

Sounds like fun. Can you make sure all of your friends down at the bottom with you move out of the way first? I don't want any bloody noses or broken ribs on my conscious. Thanks!

Jaguar

I was just offering a different view; perhaps having a certain disorder twists around the functions and causes one to appear to be a certain type.

How about offering something a little more plausible, such as the alleged function orders aren't even accurate to begin with.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
How about offering something a little more plausible, such as the alleged function orders aren't even accurate to begin with.

Well, I was just operating off the theory that's resident within this thread. We can talk about that though, too. Why don't you elaborate?