• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe balanced types, close to xxxx

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you trying to do that acknowledging thing I described now, too?
Okay, thanks!
But I don't want to turn this thread into a fuzzy feely "Tamske and Santtu are making compliments to each other" thread! Let's get out our Te and Ti again and make descriptions!

The balanced INFP never loses his sense of wonder and this idea he's been made for a better world than this, just like the basic one. But he's learnt to live in and interact with the world. He's able to see the positive drive in everyone and tries to bring it out. Of course, he'll not say things like "You should do this and that, you can do it". Instead, his language is mainly symbolic and will work slowly to impact. ("Impact" is a much too hard and quick word for it! Somebody can find a better one?)

I've thought a lot about a friend and mentor of mine lately - and only now, ten years after I've seen him regularly, I realise how his words and deeds have brought me to a better balance. Only now I'd call him a mentor.
I don't know if he is a real INFP, though, but... what I recall of him inspired me to this description.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Of course they can be described as a type, but I was interested people who in fact are balanced (one thing), AND close to xxxx (which is another thing).

I don't think being xxxx makes a person balanced, but I'd say that access to multiple styles of cognition and information gathering paves way for balance. I'd almost say it's a prequisite.

That xxxx-thing is more like a clue, a hint, a suggestion for what a balanced person might be. The reason for this is that I thought the forum members often strongly associate unbalanced behavior with too strong an expression of type.

What descriptions would you write for some balanced types?

I honestly think that knowing your type create a balance . In other words being an XXXX creates too much confusion, since there are more dominant functions than needed, it almost might create a schizophrenic person. If you on the other hand solely stick to your two main functions you get unbalanced behavior. Like you say.

INTP - Analyzing, open minded to people and their ideas, sees many sides, a matrix oriented mind (not the movie), keeps head cold in difficult situations, intimate to people they feel close to, share feelings with people they trust.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I honestly think that knowing your type create a balance . In other words being an XXXX creates too much confusion, since there are more dominant functions than needed, it almost might create a schizophrenic person. If you on the other hand solely stick to your two main functions you get unbalanced behavior. Like you say.

I disagree to an extent .. Your type is somewhat biased in the first place as you are only going on the perception you have of yourself. If you are unhealthy then you are not going to get an accurate reading.

However, i do believe it is better to have 4 letters as opposed to XXXX, least you have something to work on.

I think i am only balanced on the E/I, F/T and J/P .. I rarely use N .. But 3 out of 4 is not that bad.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Personally I prefer a weak preference to some style of cognition in most of the situations. I've been sometimes baffled, with difficult choices to be made at times when my feelings have been as strong as thinking. I wouldn't have wanted to decide the priority of work & friends each and every time individually, for example.

I guess I would feel a bit ungrounded as a real XXXX, but being an eNtj is close enough of it for me to experience a wide range of situations, feelings and thinking, but still having my life goal-orientated and well-managed. Now that's just my personal situation.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I disagree to an extent .. Your type is somewhat biased in the first place as you are only going on the perception you have of yourself. If you are unhealthy then you are not going to get an accurate reading.

However, i do believe it is better to have 4 letters as opposed to XXXX, least you have something to work on.

I think i am only balanced on the E/I, F/T and J/P .. I rarely use N .. But 3 out of 4 is not that bad.

It was a badly constructed post I made so...

Basically we all have and use all 8 functions (extraverted intuition/introverted intuition, extraverted sensing/introverted sensing, extraverted feeling/introverted feeling, extraverted thinking/introverted thinking) but we use two functions higher than the others. As an intp I still have to use introverted sensing and extraverted sensing all data get interpretated by all functions and the functions take info from other functions to prcoess said data/info but there is always two that takes preference two that you trust the most and that you let the other info from the other functions process through. So my point is that if one is using too many functions equally thet person will burn out psychologically and may have to take on different personas (schizophrenic behavior) to be able to consciously control all the data. Its an exaggeration btw not fact.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It was a badly constructed post I made so...

Basically we all have and use all 8 functions (extraverted intuition/introverted intuition, extraverted sensing/introverted sensing, extraverted feeling/introverted feeling, extraverted thinking/introverted thinking) but we use two functions higher than the others. As an intp I still have to use introverted sensing and extraverted sensing all data get interpretated by all functions and the functions take info from other functions to prcoess said data/info but there is always two that takes preference two that you trust the most and that you let the other info from the other functions process through. So my point is that if one is using too many functions equally thet person will burn out psychologically and may have to take on different personas (schizophrenic behavior) to be able to consciously control all the data. Its an exaggeration btw not fact.

Now that makes a lot more sense .. Thank you :D

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been re-reading my post about the balanced INFP...

The balanced INFP never loses his sense of wonder and this idea he's been made for a better world than this, just like the basic one. But he's learnt to live in and interact with the world. He's able to see the positive drive in everyone and tries to bring it out. Of course, he'll not say things like "You should do this and that, you can do it". Instead, his language is mainly symbolic and will work slowly to impact. ("Impact" is a much too hard and quick word for it! Somebody can find a better one?)

I've thought a lot about a friend and mentor of mine lately - and only now, ten years after I've seen him regularly, I realise how his words and deeds have brought me to a better balance. Only now I'd call him a mentor.
I don't know if he is a real INFP, though, but... what I recall of him inspired me to this description.

... and I wonder why I can't describe an INFP without sounding like one! :doh:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
*bump*

I want to see more balanced types. Here's my introvert cousin.

INTP - knows it's not mandatory to be chatty or sociable in order to be accepted, at least by some people. This allows him to be more at ease among a crowd compared to the basic INTP. Of course, he still prefers "creating/learning/combining new theories" to "caring about people", but he doesn't feel inferior because of this.

I remember an occasion in high school. We were discussing our study and career choices. EVERYBODY wanted to do "something with people"! It sounded as if that was the thing you HAD to say in order to be a human being. I rebelled and said I didn't want to do anything with people!! :rofl1:
Yes, I've done a lot of work that's rather fit for an INTP. I liked it - but I like teaching better.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd rather not postulate on what a balanced person could be so I'll just stick to those who I know who are fairly well balanced.

ENTJ - Makes plans including people and is more often working to assist behind the scenes than taking charge ahead of every body.

ISTP - Tries to incorporate the context and the personal in his thinking. Does just solve THE problem, solves YOUR problem... if you see what I mean.

ESTP - Knows that their killing blow will probably land before the offence which deserved the response is made, compensates by pre-empting the killing blow and moves people down a different path. Recalls details about people, even contradictory ones, and is more comfortable making judgement calls based on those details even if an objective answer isn't obvious.

ENFJ - Understands that their crusade is personal and not objective. Tends to soften the blow and can be more subtle in guiding people.

ISTJ - Makes specific situations where they can be host and caring. I think it's deliberate as they know they're usually oblivious so they kind of set aside time to pay attention.

ESFP - After having spent much time in introspection develops an almost split persona where one side is still a jack in the box comedian whom everyone loves to watch and the other is lost in contemplation and thought. Quite a stark contrast... probably due to the success of the primary persona almost no matter how under developed/ "extreme".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP Lives a life with dignity, pondering the soundness and value of ideas in their favorite area of interest, even though they are really generalists at heart. They see the human connection behind most of the ideas, allowing them to be forgiving and relatively jovial. They do participate in a low-key way, and do not hide behind seemingly undeafeatable wall of analysis.

INTP - knows it's not mandatory to be chatty or sociable in order to be accepted, at least by some people. This allows him to be more at ease among a crowd compared to the basic INTP. Of course, he still prefers "creating/learning/combining new theories" to "caring about people", but he doesn't feel inferior because of this.

I like Santtu's def best overall, especially in the wording, but the last sentence of Tamske's is worth saving too.

I worked hard to build my social abilities but sometimes I find myself feeling inadequate / getting down on myself because I can't ever seem to be as intuitive and good at the "people" stuff as the F's I'm friends with... Can't do it, and sometimes I wonder what I am giving them in return when they're giving me their relational affirmation. My natural contributions seem "colder" to me... but I have to accept that I am not them and don't have the same thing to give, and it's fine.

Note: I see a different between an "actualized" type and an XXXX. An actualized ESTP for example is not XXXX, even if they've fleshed out the weak spots of their personality.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Note: I see a different between an "actualized" type and an XXXX. An actualized ESTP for example is not XXXX, even if they've fleshed out the weak spots of their personality.

That's exactly what we are trying to describe.
Not XXXX-es; but eg. an ESTP who has compensated for his weaknesses with different means. This can range from developing the lesser functions a bit more to using outside means.

Thanks for combining the INTP ones :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's exactly what we are trying to describe.
Not XXXX-es; but eg. an ESTP who has compensated for his weaknesses with different means. This can range from developing the lesser functions a bit more to using outside means.

Yup, that is what I figured here.... a typical "actualized" person of each type.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
More balanced types...

ESFJ - the balanced ESFJ has learnt people are different (*) and some people can be your friends without all the small-talk, agreeing on everything, and telling how good it is to see each other. He is still the one who succeeds in getting the family (or the friend group or the parish or...) together, but he's a bit more relaxed and forgiving in it. I can imagine people hating the get-togethers of the basic ESFJ but loving the ones of the balanced one...

I don't know if there is any ESFJ in my family, but our family Christmas feasts have evolved from the "stressed-out everything needs to be perfect and everybody needs to be happy" kind to the relaxed kind I can actually enjoy.

(*) I think "accepting differences" is something that makes every type more balanced.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'll take it as a premise for this thread that the types described have found value in multiple forms of thinking, feeling, perception and intuition, and hence they are less one-sided versions of the carricature types so often spoken of in here.

I'll give it a try.

I'll also try not to get overboard with making these superhuman. I'm trying to cover perhaps 30-70% of people in here.

ISTJ Cool, accepts people okay, does their own thing in a determined manner, invites other people in their life without getting very intimate.
ISTP
ISFP
ISFJ
INTJ
INTP
INFP
INFJ
ESTJ
ESTP
ESFPCan be appreciative of seriousness, tries to live their life with joy, connecting to a lot of people without being superficial.
ESFJ Understands people with different motives, tries to create something that's both sensible and popular, maintains social norms in a relaxed way.
ENTJ Accepts people with different goals, creates prosperity in socially responsible ways, considers other people's wants and goals aside with their own.
ENTP Accepts stability, prefers to live in an improvised way, ready to grasp opportunities. Doesn't hold a grudge to the "system" or those who create it.
ENFP
ENFJ

This is harder than I thought! I'll fill in the blanks later..
Description is about a contour.
A balance does not contour.
If there is no contour there is no description.

A blank point is not found.
Why?
It is not there.
It is therefore it is a blank point.

BLANK

senseless
silly
weak
frivolous
inane
foolish
trivial
stupid

not there

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
ESFP - After having spent much time in introspection develops an almost split persona where one side is still a jack in the box comedian whom everyone loves to watch and the other is lost in contemplation and thought. Quite a stark contrast... probably due to the success of the primary persona almost no matter how under developed/ "extreme".

This is interesting. I'm not sure if it's balance or type confusion, but I know one person who tests ESFP who acts like an INTP when he is alone or with one other person. He is like an ESFP in that he thrives on contact with others, has a large network of friends/rotating girlfriends and is a self-described 'hedonist' who gravitates toward the sensual. However, he spends many hours alone reading books and watching lecture videos about philosophy. He plans to pursue philosophy as a major and is quietly and intensely engaged when listening to someone discuss related topics. He picks apart and critiques arguments carefully, even journaling about his thoughts on what he is learning. It is clear that he spends more time alone, reflecting on broader existential issues, than partying. He even seems to need this ability to retreat. Also, I suspect some of the sensualism is attached to Si, not Se, as he says that music, scents, etc. have meaning to him because they evoke specific memories and experiences. I don't know what to make of it, honestly. Is this balance?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Let's describe Santtu's favourite type now... :devil:

INTJ - just like the regular INTJ, the balanced one is the happiest and most productive when given a goal and free rein. Unlike the regular one, the balanced one doesn't think himself better (or worse) than other people for that. He's found a few trusted people with who he communicates. Though the balanced INTJ is still the most independent of all types, he hasn't lost his grip on the real world and the real people.
Just compare Voldemort (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling) with Matilda (Matilda, Roald Dahl) and you know what I mean. To be clear: I'm talking about the book Matilda. The movie one is a Feeler (probably INFP - but I don't remember that much from the movie).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJ: Open-minded and accepting of those that are different. Does not boss people around, but instead makes suggestions, trying to maintain a harmonious work environment. Takes criticism very seriously, but NOT personally, and with the help of some (limited) introspection, fixes their problem with the dedication and focus with which they try to fix everything else. When a loved one tells them about their personal problems, will not run away and hide, and will not go "well, why didn't you do this? that would've been more efficient!", but will instead make suggestions and offer themselves completely and wholeheartedly to the cause - e.g. *spoken in a deathly serious tone of voice* "If you need me to tell that person off for you, it's no problem. I can skip that lecture that I've been looking forward to for a month."

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP Lives a life with dignity, pondering the soundness and value of ideas in their favorite area of interest, even though they are really generalists at heart. They see the human connection behind most of the ideas, allowing them to be forgiving and relatively jovial. They do participate in a low-key way, and do not hide behind seemingly undeafeatable wall of analysis.
My wonderful INTP dad is almost exactly like this :wubbie:

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
ENTJ Accepts people with different goals, creates prosperity in socially responsible ways, considers other people's wants and goals aside with their own.

I think my dad is like this although he has his own drawbacks (of course).