• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi Ideas? Or Ti...

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
- I don't believe humanity is a miracle, exactly. I have no need for any kind of religion. We are only different from animals because of our consciousness. Our consciousness is a result of evolution, not a 'gift' from a higher power. And it does not amaze me that we use our consciousness to use all the resources for the benefit of humankind. I think humans are a very, very arrogant species of animals and it almost disgusts me. We're amazed by our inventions but all we do is just serve ourselves. It's not that I hate humanity, no, I value life, I just don't like overly wishy washy stuff like God. (I mean no offense. I am just trying to figure out what function I am using. I don't want to take religion away from anyone.) I feel that instead of looking upwards, we should look at each other for hope instead.

- War is wrong to me, not because I see hope in everyone, but because it is not 'just' to kill a thousand people for the twenty Americans dead, for example. The numbers are so uneven! And it is understandable to act in defense, but if innocent people is harmed while on defense, then the defensive party is also the offenders, no longer the victims. Morally and rationally, it disturbs me. I am very annoyed by feelings like pride and comrade-ship, if it means the justification of crimes against humanity.

- I am not excited or intrigued by traditions and cultures. I believe they separate people much, much more than they unite individuals.

- I don't like group-oriented things at all. I can't stand to convince someone else of my ideas. I need to do everything on my own. I hate asking for other people's help. I often ask my Guardian friends for advice but I almost never listen.

- Most conversations are meaningless unless it is about something I care deeply about, or it is with people who I care deeply about. I usually tune out when strangers talk.

- The repetition of humanity really enrages me.

Am I actually using FI but trying really hard to distinguish it as some kind of logic? Or the other way around? I am very good at the big pictures, but not with understanding the functions. I often skim books because of that weakness and lower interest. I like understanding the jist of things. I really like the novel Frankenstein, the themes and all, but I did not read every page.

Does this still sound INFP? I am curious more than anything else.

VagrantFarce

This sounds an awful lot like Inferior-Fe Projection, which points to Dominant-Ti. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think what you've written is indicative of Fi; at least my understanding of Fi. I mean, I've written/thought about stuff on similar lines quite often. Would agree that it seems more FeTi. (Of course it doesn't mean there isn't some Fi in there....I mean, to a degree everyone has the ability to access/use every function, it's just a matter of preference)

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I actually think this is more Fi than Ti. There is too much ethical concern to be fueled by logic alone.

I guess one way to test this is to ask yourself how strongly you felt about these values? How willingly are you to give them up if someone give you new information?

Trepidation

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
For what it's worth, I've thought all of those things at one point or another. I doubt this has much to do with the functions, and more to do with your values. People preffering different functions can still end up thinking the same things, they just might get there differently.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Fi if you think conversations are meaningless unless it's something you care deeply about. That screams Fi.

Fi is ethically logical in it's own little way, I think.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
- I don't believe humanity is a miracle, exactly. I have no need for any kind of religion. We are only different from animals because of our consciousness. Our consciousness is a result of evolution, not a 'gift' from a higher power. And it does not amaze me that we use our consciousness to use all the resources for the benefit of humankind. I think humans are a very, very arrogant species of animals and it almost disgusts me. We're amazed by our inventions but all we do is just serve ourselves. It's not that I hate humanity, no, I value life, I just don't like overly wishy washy stuff like God. (I mean no offense. I am just trying to figure out what function I am using. I don't want to take religion away from anyone.) I feel that instead of looking upwards, we should look at each other for hope instead.

- War is wrong to me, not because I see hope in everyone, but because it is not 'just' to kill a thousand people for the twenty Americans dead, for example. The numbers are so uneven! And it is understandable to act in defense, but if innocent people is harmed while on defense, then the defensive party is also the offenders, no longer the victims. Morally and rationally, it disturbs me. I am very annoyed by feelings like pride and comrade-ship, if it means the justification of crimes against humanity.

- I am not excited or intrigued by traditions and cultures. I believe they separate people much, much more than they unite individuals.

- I don't like group-oriented things at all. I can't stand to convince someone else of my ideas. I need to do everything on my own. I hate asking for other people's help. I often ask my Guardian friends for advice but I almost never listen.

- Most conversations are meaningless unless it is about something I care deeply about, or it is with people who I care deeply about. I usually tune out when strangers talk.

Am I actually using FI but trying really hard to distinguish it as some kind of logic? Or the other way around? I am very good at the big pictures, but not with understanding the functions. I often skim books because of that weakness and lower interest. I like understanding the jist of things. I really like the novel Frankenstein, the themes and all, but I did not read every page.

It sounds INFJish to me. Very much so. It sounds like you've got three out of your four conscious functions operating here: NiFeTi.

:doh:And I disagree strongly on all opinion-points...not that you asked or anything...

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know, but I am curious about this too, as I frequently think about similar things.

I have been blaming this on strong Fi, but now I'm not so sure...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

This might be an Ne thing.

It's all pretty NFP. I've never been intrigued by traditions. I wouldn't say they are irrelevant, because some people like them and see something in them, but for me it is pretty whatever.

I can completely tune out in conversations where I have no interest.

I'm not religious and disagree with war. But it has nothing to do with some ideals and deep felt views. I just think it is a pointless exercise and if I was the person who was dead, I wouldn't be alive anymore. Existence is a pretty big thing to lose or take from anyone.

This seems Ne again, well maybe Ne dominant. Big picture and ignore fine details. I can analyse something for 20 minutes then realise I skimmed it too much and missed the word "not". If I was reading a book, I don't think I could leave a page out though, unless I was really distracted.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I am beginning to agree with what Trepidation said, in that it doesn't have a whole lot to do with functions, at least in terms of being able to point at the writing and say, definitively, this is 100% Ne, or this is totally NFP; many of us have these thoughts to varying degrees.

The reason I cannot agree with you that the writing really demonstrates/points to Ne and NFP is because I could post large tracts of similar thoughts, and I'm NiFeTi and NFJ. ;) So I'm not saying she's not NFP (as obviously she self-identifies as such, and NFP's in this thread have also come in and self-identified with her writing), but I am saying her thoughts and writing are not exclusive to NFP, Ne, or Fi.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Yes, you're definitely using Fi here. In fact, I'm probably going to quote you further down the road on this forum when referring newbies to what Fi is because you, my friend, have just given a wonderful description. You are most certainly INFP.

Since you prefer "the gist" I'll try to be general here:

Fi - concern and passion for things of value, things that are "worth believing in". It has a very strong self-created internal sense of values, which feeds its need for moral and ethical definition.

Fe - (for the sake of contrast) - concern and awareness for others' feelings in a community or group. It has a deep need for external validation, and thus often talks about its feelings, whether everyone else wants to hear it or not.

(Fe typically gets hurt by others' behavior or words, Fi typically gets hurt by the cruelty of the world it lives in.)

Hope this helps :)

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Oh, and I forgot:

Ti - concerned with logical coherency above all else. Ti will analyze its data and compare it to the system until it knows it's right, at which point there's no going back. Its affinity for complete conceptual understanding allows it to deconstruct physical machines (usually ISTP) or theoretical ideas (usually INTP) in order to better understand how they work. (Te would more likely be involved in re-constructing those ideas into something that works in real life.)

VagrantFarce

(Fe typically gets hurt by others' behavior or words, Fi typically gets hurt by the cruelty of the world it lives in.)

These can easily be construed as the same thing. It's more accurate to say that:

Fi types focus on what is or isn't congruent with their values, and is individualistic and self-centered. It stands opposed to Te, which asks for you to take responsibility of the outer world regardless of how it might make you feel.

Fe types focus on what is or isn't socially-accepted, and concerns itself with how we define the emotional roles we play out with each other. It stands opposed to Ti, which prompts the user to essentially ignore how other people feel and understand things within a framework of total emotional detachment.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
These can easily be construed as the same thing. It's more accurate to say that:

Fi types focus on what is or isn't congruent with their values, and is individualistic and self-centered. It stands opposed to Te, which asks for you to take responsibility of the outer world regardless of how it might make you feel.

Fe types focus on what is or isn't socially-accepted, and concerns itself with how we define the emotional roles we play out with each other. It stands opposed to Ti, which prompts the user to essentially ignore how other people feel and understand things within a framework of total emotional detachment.

+1, this is much better...my wording was a bit lacking in definition.

I would like to add though, that while Fe/Ti and Fi/Te are opposing functions most of the time, they can support each other if they are in the secondary/tertiary position (if the person has developed their tertiary to a level capable of positive contribution to the psyche). This is true (at least with the aforementioned functions) for a well balanced ISFJ, ENTP, ESFP, and INTJ.

(which are ironically the EXACT types of the members of my band).

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
AI disagree with those that say that ethics and humanity trains of thought are signs of F. F/T changes what aspects of an issue you may look at, not what issues you will actually deal with. The thought processes you used to come to your conclusions will probably shed more light on the F/T issue.

From your first two paragraphs I'd say F. Your overall post seems Ne to me.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
^ I am beginning to agree with what Trepidation said, in that it doesn't have a whole lot to do with functions, at least in terms of being able to point at the writing and say, definitively, this is 100% Ne, or this is totally NFP; many of us have these thoughts to varying degrees.

The reason I cannot agree with you that the writing really demonstrates/points to Ne and NFP is because I could post large tracts of similar thoughts, and I'm NiFeTi and NFJ. ;) So I'm not saying she's not NFP (as obviously she self-identifies as such, and NFP's in this thread have also come in and self-identified with her writing), but I am saying her thoughts and writing are not exclusive to NFP, Ne, or Fi.

yep, agree. I was just adding another vote for the NFP side.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not everything can be traced to functions. In fact, very little outside MBTI can be. Your thoughts and ideas are formed by your own unique experiences.

Though I am curious, where do people see Fe in that post?

Also, I agree with most of your points to an extent.
And I virtually lack Fe and Ti.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I would like to add though, that while Fe/Ti and Fi/Te are opposing functions most of the time, they can support each other if they are in the secondary/tertiary position (if the person has developed their tertiary to a level capable of positive contribution to the psyche). This is true (at least with the aforementioned functions) for a well balanced ISFJ, ENTP, ESFP, and INTJ.

Hmm... I don't know what the 'official theory' says, but I'd like to say that Fi/Te, Fe/Ti don't seem to me like 'opposing functions' at all. I think that in a balanced personality, they should complement and support each other, and to do so in every position. An INFP without any Te would be a hopeless dreamer without any touch with reality (if they didn't somewhat balance it by developing a strong Ti), and an INTP without any Fe might appear somewhat sociopathic. The same goes for example for ESTJs and ESFJs (their Fi and Ti should ideally be an integral part of their personality), etc. I believe that the goal of any personality is developing all the functions equally and become a wholesome, balanced individual.

VagrantFarce

Hmm... I don't know what the 'official theory' says, but I'd like to say that Fi/Te, Fe/Ti don't seem to me like 'opposing functions' at all. I think that in a balanced personality, they should complement and support each other, and to do so in every position. An INFP without any Te would be a hopeless dreamer without any touch with reality (if they didn't somewhat balance it by developing a strong Ti), and an INTP without any Fe might appear somewhat sociopathic. The same goes for example for ESTJs and ESFJs (their Fi and Ti should ideally be an integral part of their personality), etc. I believe that the goal of any personality is developing all the functions equally and become a wholesome, balanced individual.

They're opposing in the sense that they process and relate to things in completely opposite ways, not that they're incompatible.