• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Si = "comfort zone"?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, with it as tertiary ("eternal child") it definitely is, to the point of it being a solid anchor in my determining my type.
For SJ's, it will likely be more serious yet still provide comfort.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I like that, "eternal child". Yeah, my Si is about comfort. I think that's why my mindset becomes more Si-like when stressed. I'm all about what I know will feel good based on my past experience.

I also have a little bit of "this is different from before" detection that I think is Si.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Ni = comfort zone too, they both have an 'I dont understand it, it must be dangerous' affect with them. The difference is that Ni is, from what Ive seen, more likely to enjoy expanding the comfort zone. Si delights in the comfort zone more than Ni, too it seems.

Example: My ESJ brother and I go to a restaurant. I will look at the food I haven't had before and decide from there first. My brother would likely choose from these things: Quesadilla, chicken strips, grilled cheese sandwich, or a burger. He is also more likely to not like something that is made differently from before.

^ I like that, "eternal child". Yeah, my Si is about comfort. I think that's why my mindset becomes more Si-like when stressed. I'm all about what I know will feel good based on my past experience.

I also have a little bit of "this is different from before" detection that I think is Si.

That is something I envy about people with Si. They can be extremely perceptive about those kinds of things. A lot of the time I feel like I'm staring through my imagination (Lack of Se/Si I guess?)

krunchtime

I agree but mine is in tertiary position. I'd love to hear how it works in dominant or secondary function.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so

I have a similar experience. It feels very good to me to remember past, and I can also detect differences from 'usual'. And actually when I'm in a bad life situation, I always end up recalling past into great details and figuring out 'how is the present situation different from when I was happy, and why'. It can be really helpful and comforting, but I have to pay attention not to overdo it, because it can do VERY nasty tricks with my mind (combined with overusing Ti = recipe for disaster).

But I like the comparison with "comfort zone" more and more, actually. I think it would explain a lot. My ISTJ boyfriend, I believe, was pretty ENFP as a child and still is a big dreamer, but then he went through some negative experiences that made him feel very bitter and cynical about the world and his ideals, and I believe that the way he always turns to past experiences and pragmatic approach (Si+Te) makes him feel secure and self-confident and helps him hide his insecurities - therefore, totally "comfort zone".

However, I guess that the difference between types who have Si as primary and secondary functions and those who have it lower is that the former use it very skillfully and can rely on it without worry, whereas the latter often use it very clumsily and shouldn't rely on it too much. For example, my INFP father has a strong Si, which is great on abstract level (he has a wonderful memory), but not so great on concrete level (he ALWAYS wants to do practical thinks ONLY in ONE way he knows, even if that way is totally inconvenient, and is EXTREMELY stubborn about that - I guess it also provides him comfort in a way). Sadly, I can see I'm becoming more and more like him in this aspect as I'm older...:cry: I can only hope my ISTJ boyfriend would cure me of this a little, really.:doh:

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Yeah, I buy that. I think it's hard to overstate the "coming home" longing of Si. The most satisfying moments of my life have been when I get to do something familiar after being out of my "comfort zone" for some time.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To deal with Si is defenetely a limit zone for me, even it does'nt give aldrenaline.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I can use Si. I have a very good memory, especially for sensory stuff. For example, I can smell a flower and memories of my childhood will come back to me. But I really find Se to be far more comforting.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yeah it works as a "comfort zone," but that's still a limited way to view it. It has lots of other uses. It is also impeccable at internalizing information. I'll use music as an example: Ne would be likely to consider new and interesting forms of music or new ways to play an instrument (innovation), whereas Si would be more concerned with hitting the notes exactly right and playing in time (consistency). It notices and remembers details and can recall them at ease for future reference. I play in a tribute band, so memorization and accuracy is key, and I find that Si is a fantastic tool for achieving this goal. I hear intonation extremely well, I have a good sense of rhythm, and I remember the parts relatively easily.

I've noticed that it offers a fantastic supporting role in ESTJ music directors (of which there are many, trust me!). To the dominant Te user, Si offers a fantastic tool for listening to the group and internalizing details within a complex sound, and then using that for Te's problem solving and organization.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah it works as a "comfort zone," but that's still a limited way to view it. It has lots of other uses. It is also impeccable at internalizing information. I'll use music as an example: Ne would be likely to consider new and interesting forms of music or new ways to play an instrument (innovation), whereas Si would be more concerned with hitting the notes exactly right and playing in time (consistency). It notices and remembers details and can recall them at ease for future reference. I play in a tribute band, so memorization and accuracy is key, and I find that Si is a fantastic tool for achieving this goal. I hear intonation extremely well, I have a good sense of rhythm, and I remember the parts relatively easily.

I've noticed that it offers a fantastic supporting role in ESTJ music directors (of which there are many, trust me!). To the dominant Te user, Si offers a fantastic tool for listening to the group and internalizing details within a complex sound, and then using that for Te's problem solving and organization.

+1

You should make more posts like this explaining the utility of Si. I feel like Si is a really poorly understood function in general by the forum community.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
+1

You should make more posts like this explaining the utility of Si. I feel like Si is a really poorly understood function in general by the forum community.

:cheese:

I think a great way to learn about this type is to try to describe it in as few words as possible. The best I've got is "detail internalization," or "retention."
The reason it often gets described as a "comfort zone" is that oftentimes we use it in demanding situations to try to determine the best way possible of solving a problem. Since Si acts as an internalization process by which we access our memory, our memory often serves to tell us WHAT it was that we did to be successful the last time we were in a similar situation and HOW exactly it was that we did it, and then we use the Je function to act on this realization. So memory causes Si to do what it's always done and get it right/solve the problem how it always has.

This is great, but I find that it's useful to apply some form of iNtuition (whatever is in your tertiary/inferior as a primary/secondary Si user) for greater balance so you don't get stuck in a rut. This is especially important for me as an artist. I have to constantly remind myself that music is so much more than being perfectly in tune or getting the notes right - you have to see the big picture and be creative in that process.
Hope this helps ;)

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know. Ni for me is more about the internal world, imagination and ideas, and working out those ideas. Rarely is it about mundane things like what to order on the menu or a new furniture arrangement.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trying to find a term that encompasses it better, maybe "familiarity" would work. It definitely acts as a comfort zone for me, but as Incubus said above, and from INxPs' examples, it's more than that. "Familiarity" could apply to all these things.