• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is this Fi?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yesterday I went to a theatre performance.
I cried at a sad scene, feeling terribly sad myself.
I felt so good afterwards - even now. Like if this sadness makes me a better human.

Is this Fi?

(Of course, I was annoyed at the actor's inaccurate description of global warming, too, and I didn't feel anything for the lone ice bear on his last ice shelf because they were blaming CFKs instead of CO_2!)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^^^ If the part in brackets is Fi, what's the part that is not in brackets? Fe?

(Really want to know because I do that shit all the time, not that I'm proud of it or anything :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:).

wolfy

awsm
That could be Fi, could just be being human. I sometimes enjoy feeling sad, I quite like sad songs. I don't like crying much, someone may attempt to console me.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yesterday I went to a theatre performance.
I cried at a sad scene, feeling terribly sad myself.
I felt so good afterwards - even now. Like if this sadness makes me a better human.

Is this Fi?

(Of course, I was annoyed at the actor's inaccurate description of global warming, too, and I didn't feel anything for the lone ice bear on his last ice shelf because they were blaming CFKs instead of CO_2!)

The first part is just emotion, and that's not strictly Fi. The part in parenthesis is likely Ti, where a perceived logical inconsistency keeps you from being able to accept the rest of the story.

Fi would be if you really started to get into the nitty gritty about why the actor's performance that made you feel sad. Fi would also cover the area where you really engage the sadness and analyze it from an emotional standpoint.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Fi would be if you really started to get into the nitty gritty about why the actor's performance that made you feel sad. Fi would also cover the area where you really engage the sadness and analyze it from an emotional standpoint.

Really, that's Fi? I do that all the time. What would Fe be in this situation?

And moved to MBTI (tm), Enneagram, and other personality matrices.

ETA: Maybe it's how far you go with it?

wolfy

awsm

Can I ask a question here? So for you, Fi includes analysing your emotions? Analysing what and why it made you feel that way. Interesting...

I don't do that. That is what interests me.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm quite sure the analyzing part (eg. me afterwards trying to associate it with one of those functions) is Ti.
I'm just wondering if the "being moved by a beautiful, tragic scene" was Fi or Fe. I thought it was Fi because it moved me, inside, my reaction didn't have any effect on anyone else.

Also, I think the "being unable to appreciate the story because of some scientific inconsistency" is Ti overruling Fi (or Fe).
Darn it, actors, if you want to use science in your play, use it well! I'm sure I would be moved by that scene too and enjoyed it, if you just mentioned the right chemical. It's not that hard.

Whatever - I'm going to give both my Fi and Fe functions mental cookies and tell them they may keep up the good work.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
YAY! That means I'm human. Cool.

Well... let's not get hasty now... :D

ETA: Maybe it's how far you go with it?

Good question. I probably didn't go deep enough, and made it a T vs F issue. That, or my example just sucked.

"F" in general relates to how things affect us personally. Fi and Fe just directs itself in different ways. In this example, I'm trying to distinguish between feeling the emotion, and using a cognitive process to analyze the emotion.

I'm willing to bet what aspects of the situation we evaluate would differ, Protean.

Can I ask a question here? So for you, Fi includes analysing your emotions? Analysing what and why it made you feel that way. Interesting...

Definitely. It's how I get myself into ruts - I get so busy analyzing my emotions that I forget to do something about them. ISFPs, in my experience, are more geared for action, so instead of forgetting about doing something about the emotion, it becomes an obsession of "What do I do about this?"

I don't do that. That is what interests me.

Well, if you are indeed ESFP, that could explain it a bit. ESFPs and ENFPs often don't do that, and often resent situations that cause them to go into Fi mode.

Last edited:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Interesting. I agree with Udog about what Fi is in this instance.

*off to change her X into an I* :run:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
The I doesn't do anything. The P already made your F into an Fi.

wolfy

awsm
Definitely. It's how I get myself into ruts - I get so busy analyzing my emotions that I forget to do something about them.

Well, if you are indeed ESFP, that could explain it a bit. ESFPs and ENFPs often don't do that, and often resent situations that cause them to go into Fi mode.

I don't know if I am ESFP, ISFP or ISTP at the moment. I don't ever remember ever analysing why I feel something. My concept of feeling is very physical. Sometimes when I feel conflicted over something I analyse how I could set it up better, but that is different again.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi is kinda...trying to make sense of the origin of the feeling and the behavior it provokes. Analyzing that part. It allows you to finetune your emotions and reactions, as well as those values that Fi upholds.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I can't say I relate all too well to the analyzing thing myself.

wolfy

awsm
Fi is kinda...trying to make sense of the origin of the feeling and the behavior it provokes. Analyzing that part. It allows you to finetune your emotions and reactions, as well as those values that Fi upholds.

So your values are foremost in your mind? You have a clear understanding and could say what is most important to you? You naturally reflect on what it means to be you?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. And if someone tells me something that shakes my core, I will retreat and figure out why harmony has been disrupted. For instance, when someone tells me something that Fi tells me to be true, but at the same time doesn't correspond with what I hold dear, I will backtrack. Ponder the situation. And find a way to make those two coexist without disrupting either. I will find the connection between the two, finetuning their relationship so I know when one is true and in which context the other is likely to be true. Ne..context is everything when finetuning Fi.

Edit: Totally random addition: I'm watching atm a movie about what went on in South-Africa. How they tried to heal the wounds of the past, seek justice...find understanding and build a new life. No doubt a lot of Fe was present in that too..but the core of it, the need for harmonizing, seeking justice, seeking a meaning and trying to make sense of it, the outrage, the pain, the suffering, and the ultimate cleansing (which was the intent of it) is very much how I experience Fi. Walk through the fire to find wisdom and how to proceed from there on.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I can't say I relate all too well to the analyzing thing myself.

How does the Fi description relate to you? Or does it?

Yes. And if someone tells me something that shakes my core, I will retreat and figure out why harmony has been disrupted. For instance, when someone tells me something that Fi tells me to be true, but at the same time doesn't correspond with what I hold dear, I will backtrack. Ponder the situation. And find a way to make those two coexist without disrupting either. I will find the connection between the two, finetuning their relationship so I know when one is true and in which context the other is likely to be true. Ne..context is everything when finetuning Fi.

I can relate to that alot. I tend to think Fi seeks moral consistency in the same way Ti seeks logical consistency. There can be overlap between the two, so it can get confusing sometimes.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How does the Fi description relate to you? Or does it?

It does, but I'm not much of an analyzer, I can do it, but it is not something I enjoy generally. It is much more of a gut reaction.

I don't have to analyze why certain things make me feel certain way, I usually just know it. I may not be able to express it coherently, but it makes sense to me.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to think Fi seeks moral consistency in the same way Ti seeks logical consistency. There can be overlap between the two, so it can get confusing sometimes.
That's how I think of it. I think I've developed Ti because of the Fi hunt for moral consistency. Ti helps me check, confirm or deny and articulate my sense of it. But the Fi came first, and the Ti, at least as applied to personal matters, was more of a means to an end. I think that's the difference.