• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is this Fi?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I don't know peeps, I don't see what Tamske did as exclusively Fi terrain.

Something did occur to me this morning and I'm wondering if this is Fe. Yesterday, my friend and I were walking down the street. It was windy outside and she was smoking. I'm a social smoker but as far as she knows I don't smoke.

Since the wind was blowing I noticed she kept positioning herself so that when she exhaled the smoke would not blow towards me. I asked her what was she doing and she said she was trying not to blow smoke on me since as far as she knows I don't smoke. I felt warm and fuzzy, and I attributed it to her not freaking blowing smoke in m

I tend to be attuned to conscientiousness and consideration (and the lack thereof) in others and within myself. When I said the extent to which this could be Fi, I'm referring to the within myself part. It's not absent or something I don't actively think about, although I'm not sure how far I take it in comparison to Fi users. I feel like after I've reached a satisfactory conclusion about my feelings within myself it's not something I'm constantly revisiting because it's been figured out already.

In others I mean like when I think of conscientiousness it's not contained to good and bad manners and when I say consideration it's not contained to now blowing smoke in my face. I think about it in ways like context, circumstances, background, knowledge and awareness that create behaviors and reactions.

So what I basically rattled on to say is when I've been in a similar situation to the OP is I do wonder why I feel the way I feel and why something affected me in the manner it did so is this a general feeling thing as Udog mentioned, a true indicator of Fi, or basic psychological introspection?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can relate to that alot. I tend to think Fi seeks moral consistency in the same way Ti seeks logical consistency. There can be overlap between the two, so it can get confusing sometimes.

THAT.

My INFP friends and I can sound very similar when their sense of moral consistency aligns with sense of logical consistency.

But it doesn't mean the foundational approach has changed.

People who look at outside cues rather than underlying motivation and perspective will miss that nuance.

As a small example, both my INFP friend and I met within a particular Christian community, so we had similar data to work with, and experiences.
But when we talk, it's pretty clear that he is operating (and evaluating religious experience) from his sense of what is morally good in his mind, whereas for me I am operating from what is rationally consistent. We don't really fight because we come to similar conclusions on many topics (I think both of our personal frameworks are geared towards psychological growth... hee, he'd call it "spiritual truth'), but we word things very differently.

The first part is just emotion, and that's not strictly Fi.

Thank you, yeah.

Not everything is because of a specific function.

Put another way, people cry because they're unhappy or moved or some other emotion.

The Judging functions, of course, might tell you how to process the emotion or might help explain why you felt the emotion, but they are not directly related to the emotions.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is where the concept of undifferentiation comes in. The functions are there, and can come up in any person (just like seeing, remembering, etc), and are not really distinct "processes" the way we speak of "Xy".

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know peeps, I don't see what Tamske did as exclusively Fi terrain.

Since the wind was blowing I noticed she kept positioning herself so that when she exhaled the smoke would not blow towards me. I asked her what was she doing and she said she was trying not to blow smoke on me since as far as she knows I don't smoke. I felt warm and fuzzy,

No, I wouldn't consider that Fi terrain at all. For example, the person showed consideration by not blowing smoke in your face. There are many different reasons someone can appreciate something like that: Social etiquette, thoughtfulness, or even gratitude for not making your allergies flare up.

It's respectful, good behavior on your friends part, and the gratitude you feel is a reasonable and fairly universal response. The specific reason you are grateful is where functional analysis begins to have some usefulness.

Not everything is because of a specific function.

Put another way, people cry because they're unhappy or moved or some other emotion.

Exactly.

I will never believe that emotions are the sole domain of F. Instead, what I believe is that those that are emotional are more likely to be swayed to make subjective, personal decisions, which makes them more likely to score as F. However, things start getting much more complex beyond this point.

Is it typical of Fi types to look at underlying motivation?

I do, but I don't know if it's typical. Some Fi types can get rather irritated that actions can even have an underlying motivation, and would rather just say things should happen naturally.

B

brainheart

I don't know if I am ESFP, ISFP or ISTP at the moment. I don't ever remember ever analysing why I feel something. My concept of feeling is very physical. Sometimes when I feel conflicted over something I analyse how I could set it up better, but that is different again.

the analyzing of why you feel something would seem to me to be more of something you would do coupled with Ne. I would think an XSFP would just enjoy feeling it, the physicality of it, considering that's how you relate to the external world. Not that I don't just enjoy feeling things, too, but I imagine you see what I'm saying.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, I've read through this and thinked a bit about it... I guess I get it, more or less.

The judging functions (Te, Ti, Fe, Fi) are the ones initiating changes.
The extraverted ones want to change the world.
Te works to make the world more efficient, more ready,...
Fe works to make the world better (better for you, better for others,...)
The introverted ones want to change you.
Ti works to make you more efficient, more ready (learning, trying to understand things,...)
Fi works to make you a better person(defining your values, analyzing your feelings,...)

If this is correct, I'd like to make a similar distinction about the perceiving functions...

Examples.
Fi decides I have to learn from that performance and wants to know what causes the sadness,...
Fe decides to go to another performance of those actors.
Ti wants to know which functions were working at that moment, because she wants to understand those MBTI functions.
Te decides to speak up about the mistakes the actors made in their description of global warming.

Correct?

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I keep reading these threads about Fi, but don't feel that I understand it any further than I did at the outset, and supposedly it's my main function. Maybe I should just determine what I do most and call that Fi?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
For me as ENFP, it would be the part where I suddenly get it and all its implications. Whether it is scientific or situational is irrelevant. In science, the system can suddenly feel complete and I know why everything is in each place and it's reason for existing. In a movie I'll suddenly get where the character is at and be staring into the abyss or seeing the glory with them. It's this crazy intensity of knowing what it all means for them. It more drifts in as a deep and building inspiration or emotion than an aha! moment though. I'm guessing a lot of that is just connecting and feeling emotion and isn't even type related.

krunchtime

Fi decides I have to learn from that performance and wants to know what causes the sadness...
Fe decides to go to another performance of those actors.
Ti wants to know which functions were working at that moment, because she wants to understand those MBTI functions.
Te decides to speak up about the mistakes the actors made in their description of global warming.

Correct?

Being deeply moved by morality, poignancy, tragedy sounds like Fi, in the way which its used by INFPs.

But you also said "as if this sadness makes me a better human being", which makes me wonder how much of this is related to inner sense of morality/ empathy. Is there an underlying awareness that this emotion might be superficial? If there is and your strongest feeling about the play is its logical inconsistency or inaccurate definitions (Ti by most count), I would assume that its actually Fe.

Fi can defy logic, but its never lightly felt. Did you feel deeply and unshakeably that (whatever) was wrong, and if anyone ever questions you on it, you'll either construct a supporting argument, failing which, you'll tell them its just wrong? In my experience, a fine line separates Fe from Fi, mainly, depth and acting on your beliefs (which is more Fe).

1. Sounds like Ti instead (I have to understand)
2. Maybe
3. Yep
4. Possibly or its just your Ti speaking out from the sidelines

disclaimer: personal opinion

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think "I felt sad" represents any particular function. That's not really what the functions are/do.

The thing about inaccurate representations of global warming sounds like Ti. ("This is not consistent with what is realistically true; therefore, it is not compelling.")

I think Fi is more likely to pity the polar bear anyway because he got screwed through no fault of his own. Failing to empathize because they got the scientific facts about global warming wrong doesn't sound very F at all.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
The I doesn't do anything. The P already made your F into an Fi.
Yes. The agent of the dichotomy is P.
A dichotomy is one process, though. The agent does not use all its potential.
What is left of the agent, is simultaneously used as an object, by a counter agent.