• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality development (MBTI)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My first question would be can one's personality preference permanently change?

My second question would be can a person as a child have a totally different mbti type preference then when he has fully developed?

ygolo

My termites win
These are good questions. I don't really have answers to them, but I do have thoughts that relate to the questions.

Type itself is an approximate concept. But if you believe there is something innate in you when you are born, personality inventories and theories can help you reflect on (and perhaps discover) your innate qualities.

I read that young children tend to be easier to type in terms of the first and last dichotomies: EJ vs EP vs IJ vs IP.

Myers in Gifts Differing says that healthy individuals differentiate between S and N as well as T and F. She further says they develop primary and secondary function that have opposite attitude (external vs. internal focus), and are opposites in terms of being a judging vs. perceiving function.

Later in life, it seems like the needs of the other functions become more important. Marci Segal seems to encourage the use of all your functions to enhance your creativity. Lenore Thompson suggests first developing your "left-brain" (Te,Fe,Ni,Si) or "right-brain" (Ti, Fi, Ne, Se) functions* depending on your initial preference. John Beebe has a much more complex picture in how the functions affect you throughout life.

*I don't think there is any basis for calling them left-brain or right-brained functions.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see. Interesting thoughts. And the book seems interesting so I'll give it a check.
These questions been asked many times but it seems no one can really give a proper answer to them. I've read many articles on personality changes but there doesn't seem to be any solid answers. Where research says something another research says otherwise.