• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Types: Drive and Orientation

MerkW

Recently, I have been considering something, although there is a reasonable chance that it is not type related:
What do you think is the relationship between MBTI type and sexuality--specifically speaking, orientation and sexual drive? Are certain types more prone to homosexuality, bisexuality, or transexuality then others? Secondly (I'm quite confident that this one is type related, though), what is the correlation between sexual drive and type? In your personal opinion, which type would be most sexually active, and which the least (perhaps even being asexual)? I have several of my own opinions on this matter, yet I would like first to observe the opinions others.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
From what I have been reading, NFs seek to transcend sexuality, even when engaging in the act, and SPs seem to revel in every experience of it. SJs schedule it and NTs intellectualize it, is the idea I get. But I do not know if any of this is an indication of activity. In my opinion it's opportunity that correlates to practice.

ygolo

My termites win
NFs seek to transcend [it], even when engaging in the act, and SPs seem to revel in every experience of it. SJs schedule it and NTs intellectualize it, is the idea I get.

I am curious, generally would you make the above statement?

Regarding the OP. I have no clue.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
From what I have been reading, NFs seek to transcend sexuality...

I can sorta relate to this. To be perfectly honest, I don't entirely believe in the concept of sexual orientation. That is why I find it hard to say that I'm straight, bi, or gay. I like who I like when I like them. Gender has never been a big issue with me when it comes to my sexuality.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
In my experience, the stereotype that gay men have more intense Feeling characteristics than straight men has not come out of nowhere. However, the ExFP stereotype of recent years does not have an obvious origin in reality, so I suspect that fictional gay men have been portrayed that way in order to make the Feeling traits and therefore, suggested sexuality more 'in your face'. Plus, gay men are still more common in comedy programming because homosexual topics are seen as more risque and hence amusing, at least in mainstream TV and film, and ExFPs are easily made funny. These facts together mean that when a comedy show wants at least one gay and one ExFP personality, which is often, they may as well make them the same person.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'd be more interested to know any correlations between promiscuity and type. Since promiscuity is both 'risk' as well as 'tradition', I'd say ISTJ is very unlikely to be promisuous and ESFP is very likely to be? Yes? No?

warick

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd be more interested to know any correlations between promiscuity and type. Since promiscuity is both 'risk' as well as 'tradition', I'd say ISTJ is very unlikely to be promisuous and ESFP is very likely to be? Yes? No?

I would say that the I tends to lead to less opportunity, therefore less sexually active than an E, but I don't think that necessarily has any correlation with desire to have sex.

I agree that the P would probably be more promiscuous than a J, and an F would be more promiscuous than a T.

I don't think N/S matters much, I could be wrong.

I know as an INTJ I have a strong sex drive, but I am not promiscuous for two reasons.
1) my Christian background, my morals keep me from doing what I believe to be wrong
2) I am married, but often sex is more trouble than it is worth. There are other, easier options. (obviously I'm not promiscuous because I'm married, only one person for me, but what I really mean is that I'm not going all-out and doing everything I can everyday in order to get some)

In my experience, the stereotype that gay men have more intense Feeling characteristics than straight men has not come out of nowhere. However, the ExFP stereotype of recent years does not have an obvious origin in reality, so I suspect that fictional gay men have been portrayed that way in order to make the Feeling traits and therefore, suggested sexuality more 'in your face'. Plus, gay men are still more common in comedy programming because homosexual topics are seen as more risque and hence amusing, at least in mainstream TV and film, and ExFPs are easily made funny. These facts together mean that when a comedy show wants at least one gay and one ExFP personality, which is often, they may as well make them the same person.

As far as homosexuality and bisexuality goes, that's a little more difficult because I don't know very many men that are openly gay. But the ones I have known have been decidedly effeminate ExFx's. That may be due to trying to live up to a false stereotype, kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Lesbians on the other hand, I would go with xNTx, but I have even less experience with them, so that's just a guess.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would say that the I tends to lead to less opportunity, therefore less sexually active than an E, but I don't think that necessarily has any correlation with desire to have sex.

I agree that the P would probably be more promiscuous than a J, and an F would be more promiscuous than a T.

I don't think N/S matters much, I could be wrong.

I agree with the I-E and P-J axis analysis, however I don't think F-T makes any real difference, it might change why they have sex, but not how much the have or want it.

In my experience:-
N's seem to have a lower sex drive than S's (on average).
Most sex-obsessed people I meet are T's
The most sexually active people I know are EXFX's, with 1 or 2 IXTX's in there
The people least likely to talk about sex are ISFP's, followed by ESXJ's

I can't think of any other patterns

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think is the relationship between MBTI type and sexuality--specifically speaking, orientation and sexual drive? Are certain types more prone to homosexuality, bisexuality, or transexuality then others?

It is a good question and worth exploring. Honestly, I am not sure.

My experiences with these groups (informally considered, I never took polls :) ) doesn't really show an obvious deviation from the normal MBTI percentages for type in the average population, as best as I can tell. Overall, SJs and SPs seemed to dominate, and N's were a minority, just like the normal population. Of those, NFs seemed far more common to me (perhaps overrepresented) than NTs.

More specifically, I have known ISxJ, ESTJ, ENFP, INFP, and ESFP homosexuals (ESFP seemed to be very common). Most transsexuals (pre or post) I have talked to have usually been either S types or NFs (a higher than normal percentage of NFs, I think). I honestly have trouble remembering ever meeting an NT transsexual (well, except for substitute. :) )

Now that I am thinking about it, there is a small pattern there... just about all the transwomen I've met are F's, while just about all the transmen I have met are T's. (My guess here is that the T/F gender bias impacts self-perception.)

To make a broad assertion, I think SJ people would be most likely to fight to suppress/deny any minority inclinations, so they're harder to poll and are probably underrepresented if anything ... many are struggling to deny their inclinations and be "normal members of society." And Feelers have a harder time "faking things" for such a long time, where Thinkers are able to suppress their emotions and internal experience to conform, if they see the need to.

I can give more anecdotal evidence on this, if people are interested. (I don't have any "real experience" with self-proclaimed bisexuals, however.)

I can't answer the second question easily. ExFPs are sex sex sex (they seem to be into the pure sensation of it, a carnal "experience")... but xNTJs also have intense sexual craving more like a desire that needs to be fulfilled or an urge that must be satiated, partly as a means to express dominance/capability.

Then again, maybe I am analyzing this WAY too much. ;)

From what I have been reading, NFs seek to transcend sexuality, even when engaging in the act, and SPs seem to revel in every experience of it. SJs schedule it and NTs intellectualize it, is the idea I get.

As a broad generalization, I would agree. And that's what you find when you read the subjective literature. SPs are VERY likely to revel in the experience of being gay or transsexual; it's all about the experience of responding to the desires inside of them. NFs are very much the ones who move past that, who are embracing their sexuality but moving far deeper than that and speaking in terms of "identity" and Becoming Themselves.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't really see how you can measure sexual drive. A person cannot compare there sexual drive to another person's sexual drive because the drive and actually doing the act are not necessarily always related. Is an ESFP more promiscuous than an ISTJ generally? Yes, but it is also probably easier for them to get it.

sassafrassquatch

A conservative ISTJ probably would be averse to promiscuity but I'm not a conservative so I'm willing to be a man ho as long as she fits the criteria.

My criteria being:

10 Is it attractive? If "yes" goto 20
20 Is it safe? If "yes" goto 30
30 Hit it
Run

(Apologies to any coders for my bad BASIC impersonation)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
awwww... what's wrong with being an istp? :)

sassafrassquatch

Wasn't my idea. I had come up as ISTJ on a few tests and read up on Judging and turns out I'm and ISTJ.

</threadjack>

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
As far as I'm concerned, Sassafrassquatch got here by crawling out of the Merriam-Webster definition for ISTP.

It's all right. A trip will do you some good.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
understandable! used to think I was an ESTP! (somehow it didn't occur to me that I really don't like to interact with large groups of people, and I enjoy spending a majority of my free time alone and highly value my personal space and privacy).

to answer the origional question though, I'd have to say that ESXPs are probably the biggest sluts, though introverted Ss will get around too. A lot would have to do with each person's values and etc though. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:popc1:

"The Continuing Saga of Sassa's Type -- Part 24"

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The frequent and skillful use of portmanteaus is a dead giveaway.