• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Survival Games People Play

ygolo

My termites win
I was reading an old Bulletin of Psychological Type and in it was an article that talked about games people play and the intervention strategies needed to end the game playing.

The author, Mary McGuiness (ENFP) who was in turn using the work of Eve Dulanas's Survival Games Personalities Play describes the games by temperament.

• SJs:nag, gossip, get depressed or sick
  • SPs:break rules, binge, throw tantrums, or make violent outbursts
  • NTs:question why people want, feel, or do what they want, feel or do --intellectualizing everything including emotions
  • NFs:please others, avoid conflict, or repress unpleasant memories

The appropriate interventions for types are:
  • for SJs:help them find a sense of belonging, and opportunities to be responsible
  • for SPs:honor their freedom to act, and help them make an impression in a socially acceptable way
  • for NTs:help them use their competencies to achieve success
  • for NFs:help them find meaning and a sense of their unique identity

There is a lot more in the article, and I paraphrased a lot, but I figured this was enough to start a discussion.

So, thoughts, reactions, impression, etc.?

_________

I was struck by the fact that even though I do all the things mentioned as "game playing" from time to time, the NT "game playing" is what I do almost all the time.

It's funny because I don't believe I am playing games. I am just doing what comes naturally to me.

Still, I do feel like my competence is not utilized where I am at work, and what I am doing also seems to stress things I am not as competent at.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
This is one of those times where I can fit into the category of any temperament. I prefer to see myself as a little more adaptable than being a constant interrogator of reality.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
The only one I can't really relate to is SP's game.

SJ gets sick? Maybe that's why I get sick easily.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Holy crap---the cheapest USED copy of Survival Games is 47 bucks!!!

highwayrobbery.jpg

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
So, thoughts, reactions, impression, etc.?

This is MBTI trying to do what the Enneagram does. It's a step in the right direction, but the Enneagram does it better. (To be fair, it's had a lot more practice.) Still, this is what I have always called for within MBTI. MBTI has focused too much on saying that every type is just as good as every other type, which has kept it from delving into how each type is unhealthy and could improve.