• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Honestly changing your trait scores for Five Factor Model

ygolo

My termites win
I know we had a thread about MBTI types and changing, but what about our Five Factors.

It seems like the model posits a best type, or at least good types versus bad. Since they actually consider certain trait constellations "well-adjusted", I am wondering how to do the adjusting.

I think my level of Openness is about where I want it to be. This factor seem trivial to change too.

I would like to be moderately to highly Contentious. Enough stability to have others let me be the way I am and allow me to achieve my goals. This is the biggest thing I would like to change.

I would like to be moderately Extroverted. Enough to be fairly charismatic.

I would like to be moderately Agreeable. Enough for people to like who I really am.

I would like to be very low on Neuroticism. The reasons should be obvious.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose the large question in this and other similar threads is, what exactly is a change in "intrinsic personality" (if there's such a thing as that) -- the basic "wiring" of a person -- versus simple behavior modification where one learns to cope with one's weaknesses and improve one's ability to cope/behavior positively in situations that naturally frustrate a person.

I definitely see instances where people who are not very disciplined or have little need for closure learn to develop it, because it helps them be more effective people... but in general their basic wiring is still anti-closure. They just have the behavior under conscious control, even if their inclinations would push them in another direction, and eventually they can act more at ease in the "unnatural" behavior.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
wanted a power-up of..
+20 points conscientiousness
Enables the person to finish tasks on time and to do hard work and to earn money.

Extraversion: flexible at will from 20 to 99%, given right circumstances and time to adapt. Optimum point for me might be at 85-90%. Lack of people to care about, that's what keeps it at 55% at the moment. Lack of money limits the choice of hobbies, too.

Neuroticism. I think it was about 15%, with only significant non-zero component at depression, which was at 53%. I want it away. My happiness is sadly tied in to my accomplishments and results at the moment, I'm not happy for myself at the moment. This perpetuates the low C and depression combination. I don't think to be "compensatory narcistic" (about 20% of symptoms match), but rather that I am afraid (and see it all the time) that lack of good job and money will provide me with inadequate stimulus to feed my need stemming from high natural E.

Agreeableness: very low and fine where it stays. Given better social environment, I would start to appreciate and care about people's feelings more, which would raise my score.

Wow, this was a good practice to do. Now I'll go plan how to do a multi-approach solution to get me where I want to be.. ;P

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think most parameters are fine the way they are right now. If I were able to lower my extraversion it would be a plus, since it'd probably make easier to study in a more focussed fashion, but the downside of lessened sociability and energy level doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

I would like to see if conscientiousness scores are environment-dependent. For example, my conscientiousness in school-related matters is lower than in work-related, simply because the first does not have a sufficiently certain monetary equivalent.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I would like to be moderately Extroverted. Enough to be fairly charismatic.

I don't see what being charismatic has to do with being introvert or extravert.

I have no clue what Five Factors is, but I dislike the idea of seeing certain traits as good or bad. Or well-adjusted vs. unadjusted etc. That sounds like something that measures ones level of conformity rather than anything else.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't see what being charismatic has to do with being introvert or extravert.

I have no clue what Five Factors is, but I dislike the idea of seeing certain traits as good or bad. Or well-adjusted vs. unadjusted etc. That sounds like something that measures ones level of conformity rather than anything else.

I think neuroticism is the only one that has a real positive(negative) connotation, mostly for the test-take rather than for anybody else. (a curious combination would be one of high N and high A)

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I think neuroticism is the only one that has a real positive(negative) connotation, mostly for the test-take rather than for anybody else. (a curious combination would be one of high N and high A)

I see. I'd have to agree that neuroticism is not something favorable.

So where exactly can I take this test ?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

N+ and A+ isn't that unusual. Those are the ones that fret about what people think about them (whereas N+ and A- tends to fret about what's going to happen). Likewise, the N- and A+ are the ones that are the friendly but calm ones (the ones we go to for advice etc) and N- and T- are the ones that react to situations calmly but objectively (the ones that can have the house burning around them and still not get emotionall caught up/panic).

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
You can paint it over, but it's still a crap car

"I suppose the large question in this and other similar threads is, what exactly is a change in "intrinsic personality" (if there's such a thing as that) -- the basic "wiring" of a person -- versus simple behavior modification where one learns to cope with one's weaknesses and improve one's ability to cope/behavior positively in situations that naturally frustrate a person."

EXACTLY! I have been trying to word it clearly myself.

I think the E/I is the easiest to mask and change BEHAVIORALLY. But does that mean you switch your wiring and you used to get energy and sustenance from your solo pursuits and now suddenly you are energized by being with others?

It reminds me of the 'army' question and how the army molds everyone to be _STJ's. After years of civilian life or active 'deprogramming' -- do you ever "revert" to your "natural" personality or did your actual wiring get changed or are you so behaviorally changed that it's a moot point?

What do you call someone who's wires have been crossed, being a specific personality type but having been pushed into the wrong fit?

This also reminds me of why I say I like COGNITIVE therapy which really starts from the outside in, modifying and correcting problem behaviors. Popular opinion says that changing behavior requires not only self-awares and outer awareness but eventually requires you to work deep backwards to find and fix the thought processes which causethe behavior -- basically get to the "root" problem. Except the beauty of cognitive therapy is that once the behaviors are modified, that's it. What root problem? If it doesn't manifest, you have none. You don't need to sit on a therapists couch and spill your guts for an hour every week for years. Once you fix the behavior, that's it.

But, does that really mean you've "fixed" the problem?

Like an alcoholic is always an alcoholic regardless of if they never drink again.

I'm ramblign now in NFP fashion, but hopefully you get the drift...

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Conscientiousness in not a feeling?
Think about that!

Our society is so neurotic with the all-pervading disease that C is even considered a virtue.

Conscientiousness surely is but a branch of N (neuroticism).

I must.. I have to... What time is it.. What the dear people now think of me if I do not finish this noble project on time... I must not upset the dear people..

Bla bla bla.

ygolo

My termites win
... You do realize you substituted 'contentious' for 'conscientious', right? ;)

Not till now. Somehow that was something I missed even when highlighted.
I already know how to be contentious, thanks.

But I would like to be more conscientious.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Conscientiousness in not a feeling?
Think about that!

Our society is so neurotic with the all-pervading disease that C is even considered a virtue.

Conscientiousness surely is but a branch of N (neuroticism).

I must.. I have to... What time is it.. What the dear people now think of me if I do not finish this noble project on time... I must not upset the dear people..

Ya i agree with you for a large part