• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Refusing To Type One's Self

G

Ginkgo

Ever since I came to this forum, I have observed certain individuals who refuse to disclose their archetypes within their profile information.

I am very curious as to their reasoning behind this.

One might say that labeling yourself prevents others from executing "social penetration" because they have prejudged you. Thus, entire groups (specifically the NT,NF,SJ,and SP) temperaments establish barriers between themselves.

However, how is this different from any other form of social labeling? We all have names, screen names, avatars, signatures, titles, etc. All of these things inevitably force a person to make personal judgments, associations, and rejections. In real life, we all wear our own apparel and carry ourselves a certain way. Albeit, some of us are less judgmental than others, we still establish social connections through our appearances on some level.

If one really wanted to eliminate the problem all together, they would eradicate all forms of identification. Thus, we would all be gray nobodies, spewing rhetoric from ages past.

I have a vague hunch that many of those who refuse to label themselves have developed a worldview that revolves around MBTI. Thus, they may feel oppressed when segregated by the "world order". Is this really healthy?

MBTI is just as fallible as any other theoretical system. Why take it so seriously? Or is that the point?

Anyway, I'm just curious. My imagination is about as wild as a rabid water buffalo; so feel free to not take me seriously. :)

If you don't label yourself, what is your reasoning?

krunchtime

I believe I belong to the said army of grey ghosts.

Because I am still not sure of my type.

Edit: No its not healthy, but I don't want to feel like a fraud because rightly or wrongly, people carry certain stereotypes or expectations from a type.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are probably lots of different reasons.

-They can't decide which type they are.

-They think the MBTI is illogical or unethical (which raises the question of why they're here).

-They don't want their type to color people's perceptions of them.

-They feel that they transcend or fall outside standard types.

G

Ginkgo

There are probably lots of different reasons.

-They can't decide which type they are.

Understandable.

-They think the MBTI is illogical or unethical (which raises the question of why they're here).

One might jump to the conclusion that they have an agenda against MBTI. However, it would be wise to reserve judgment.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think some people can't commit to one type, lol. The way I feel about it, find who you are, and embrace it. Sometimes I wish I could be another type for a little while, and I can be. Sometimes I'm an ENFJ or ESTP, but that's not really who I am. I don't think taking the test 100s of times and getting caught up in that is especially productive. I can see how it's fun, but at the end of the day, MBTI is a tool for understanding yourself and others better. It's hard to use it as a tool to better yourself if you can't decide what type you are. As far as people judging me by my type on here, I haven't had any experience like that since I've been posting here. Then again, I haven't read every post either, and I used to go weeks without posting.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with Tater, we see all of you freaks without a type and it makes our heads run wild. Just stick a fucking type there so we can associate your every action and thought to whatever type you may be. Or better yet, whack a type in there so we can all perceive your every thought before it ever crosses your mind, okay? If you're an INTP, you damn well better be the smartest nerd kid around or we'll belt you like a piñata. So you're an ESTP that doesn't rock? No worries, let's go get you stoned.

I think it might come from a fear of being wrong, some people don't want to end up with egg on their faces after making a huge blunder in front of 'the entire forum'. It's the same reason people are scared of the dark, or even the water.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
My behavior changes extemporaneously. Why, then, should I attach my name to something as static as a personality type?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Possibly to spread a message of the negative points of MBTI.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
No great mystery. I'm not positive about my type, and even though I have a pretty good idea, I'd rather not put it up there just to change it. When I'm fairly certain of my type over a long period of time, I'll add it.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
They're probably introverts who think that information is too personal to be disclosed.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah great, lets encourage more people to post a random assortment of four letters which we take on trust is actually reflective of their personality test results and build part of our understanding of that type based on this trusted information. Sure if we made sure that everyone had to post up a type regardless of accuracy that'd be great...

:thelook: