• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The advantage of Fi

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
What advantages are there from being an Fi-dom in modern society?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm interested in knowing as well.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me, too! (And I'm an INFP)

I can see it acting as a sort of cultural safety-valve, making sure that individuals aren't victimized by the application of general principle or the greater good. Also, it demands that external affect match internal motivation, so counteracts some manipulative practices.

But as far as helping Fi users directly... that I'm not so clear on. Especially since primary Fi users have somewhat crippled Te, which clearly has utility.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
being Fi dominant usually causes for extra sifting through standpoints on various things. The problem is trying to vocalize your Fi sometimes. You know what you mean but it is hard communicating it because Fi doesn't need a reason.

Also, I believe Fi is the function that enables one to see through falsehood and bullshit. Someone who is Fi dom will likely ponder the sincerity of others a bit more than what is average. But the Fi dom (or someone who has developed Fi) will also be able to detect the sincerity truly.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It means they know what they want, and will probably have less competition in getting what they want because of the fact that most people aren't seeking it.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
You get to be an introvert and use Se or Ne without being a slave to Ti?

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
I would imagine that Fi-doms are much much tougher and more resilient than people commonly suppose. It comes with instinctively being able to regulate emotional energy flows. Other types may not be such slaves to their emotions/values, but life eventually throws up emotional challenges to even the most stolid TJ-types, and when that happens those types often just fall to pieces.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would imagine that Fi-doms are much much tougher and more resilient than people commonly suppose. It comes with instinctively being able to regulate emotional energy flows. Other types may not be such slaves to their emotions/values, but life eventually throws up emotional challenges to even the most stolid TJ-types, and when that happens those types often just fall to pieces.

Okay, that I can buy. The ability to manage our emotional reactions in realtime is useful. Doesn't solve everything, but does, one hopes, lead to fewer melt-downs and blow-ups.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This is a good point; it is often T's I have known, rather than F's, who can be the most emotionally dramatic, can lash out, and can have more difficulty coping with and handling their emotional responses. Many F's, because they might be more aware and familiar with their emotional state and any patterns as such, could show the potential to be more calm when the going gets rough. It's gonna vary hugely between all 8 F types as well as on an individual level within type, but I think it's a fair generalization to make.

So...an advantage of Fi could be simply interpersonal dynamics - by knowing your values/emotions so well, it could provide a 'bridge' towards connecting to others with obviously the ability to empathize/relate to others on this level. The ability to navigate relationships in a positive way and build upon those relationships that are valued (of course with Fi-dom's that would have to be coupled with Ne/Se to be really effective), which is always an asset when it comes to the working world, as well as personal life/friendships.

And, as others have mentioned...Fi is ultimately about having that certitude about what your values are, and prioritizing those values and having them lead your decision-making/etc...that certitude could easily lead to more confidence in pursuing what you want or believe in, 100%...something that dominant-perceivers (Ni/Si) tend to lack......

Usehername

On a mission

IxFPs are cool with staying true to their values and not giving a shit when they shouldn't care.

ExFJs can of course do this just as often, but they really really feel it, the exclusion, being labeled as Not Us. When they are called out or perceived to not be upholding group values, they struggle to not care when they shouldn't care. There's far more internal tension when someone points a finger at them and they have to exert massive brain capacity to override their feelings.

matilda

making friends easily enough (compared to T types, that is), manipulation (Fi sees hidden agendas, so it's pretty easy to do this), egocentricism --> intrinsic motivation --> art for art's sake, so they say

it doesn't directly influence society. it doesn't alter its flow directly or anything. Fi, i think, is the most useless but most interesting function. Fi = a never-ending search for the meaning of life --> poetry, music..

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I like this answer, alot:

Other positive thoughts:

Yeah, I'm pretty sensitive, but that sensitivity has made me a resilient bastard. It's hard to keep me down. It's like going to the gym and lifting weights. Suddenly, when someone needs 200 pounds of emotional weight lifted, it's no problem for me to help. I form some amazing connections with people that can appreciate that.

It's nice understanding emotions. They aren't mysterious or intimidating to me. I can see their complexity, and it gives me power to see people in interesting ways.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think grounded values and the freedom they bring. By being grounded in your values you don't need to give yourself morals and meaning from elsewhere as much. Most people in society have something they have to chase or follow, an order or appearance to uphold, a need for rewards and achievement, social ladder climbing, a name, a position, an image. You get to define yourself outside this. The search can be for what you want to do and why. In a way Fi is liberating.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
making friends easily enough (compared to T types, that is), manipulation (Fi sees hidden agendas, so it's pretty easy to do this), egocentricism --> intrinsic motivation --> art for art's sake, so they say

it doesn't directly influence society. it doesn't alter its flow directly or anything. Fi, i think, is the most useless but most interesting function. Fi = a never-ending search for the meaning of life --> poetry, music..

How is Fi a never ending search for the meaning of life exactly?

Being able to see what's of value in a situation, having some form of ethical code/values internally, and being a bit more sensitive than usual does not correlate with art, music, and pondering a "meaning of life." You're thinking of NFs.

Everyone can manipulate in some way or shape, but I do believe that you're on the right track with this one. For me, I do see hidden agendas quite easily etc, I know what's going on emotionally. I am reactive in my manipulation, it's not something I do all the time. Just when the situation calls for it (manipulation based on what I can tell is going on based on the implications of the situation).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Fi is a wonderful tool for self-preservation. Fi can keep a person from allowing others to treat him or her badly, it can also serve as a barrier against blindly going along with what mainstream society dictates.

Fi seems like a valuable thing to have in a strongly individualistic society, it would be a plus not a minus. Having a strong sense of self-hood is something that can actually lead to contentment in adult life instead of falling prey to keeping up with the Joneses or thinking that exterior validation is the key to happiness.

Fi also can probably help some individuals succeed in creative fields where there is a lot of competition, like writing or art, because the Fi-dom would be so dedicated to his or her "mission" that they might be more likely to make it through sheer tenacity.

We live in a very psychoanalytic society currently, too, and Fi doms are great at psychoanalyzing themselves. I think healthy Fi could help someone to become extremely self-actualized and successful in life.

These are all just possibilities. I'm not saying that this is what Fi does for all Fi users, but these are possible benefits that I see.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, I'm pretty sensitive, but that sensitivity has made me a resilient bastard. It's hard to keep me down. It's like going to the gym and lifting weights. Suddenly, when someone needs 200 pounds of emotional weight lifted, it's no problem for me to help. I form some amazing connections with people that can appreciate that.

It's nice understanding emotions. They aren't mysterious or intimidating to me. I can see their complexity, and it gives me power to see people in interesting ways.

That's an awesome way to put it. What I really appreciate is when an INFP cares for you, they can embrace the whole you, flaws and all, without judging. They're not afraid of the deep, dark places of the mind, and even if they cannot pull you out of it, they'll be there to hold your hand until you find your way out.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can I just say, I utterly appreciate that this is appreciated :)

That's an awesome way to put it. What I really appreciate is when an INFP cares for you, they can embrace the whole you, flaws and all, without judging. They're not afraid of the deep, dark places of the mind, and even if they cannot pull you out of it, they'll be there to hold your hand until you find your way out.

As for Fi, though it appears to have no practical applications, I've discovered that, yes it helps us weather emotional crisis better, just by the sheer volume of it that we need to digest throughout our lives, and it does eventually make us very aware of who we are. Flaws and all.

I've also found that some people consider us a safe heaven. The entrance to another world, away from this one (which is pretty rough) where you can regain your bearings. And those older and wiser, with mature Fi, seem to act as a shining star. A beacon of hope. An example on how to navigate this sometimes ugly reality without being corrupted by it. I'd say (mature) Fi-users are here to remind others to not give up hope, no matter what life throws their way :)

Not very practical at all..but useful and important nonetheless ;)

wolfy

awsm
I don't know if it is Fi specifically, but I've noticed that people tend to trust me and I have an easy way with people. I think that does, could have, maybe has something to do with Fi.

Getting along well with people is a major advantage in life.