• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Judgers and Perceivers in Online Courses

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think the shift to online delivery of courses favors Perceivers.

The reason being that the online learning environment doesn't provide any structure like daily class do for the judgers and thus they have to spend time and energy creating and maintain a structure to do well. Without that structure, a judger become stressed that something might be missing or forgottened.

On the other hand, perceivers do not like structure and in fact loves the online environment for freeing them from the clutch of weekly classes.

What do you think? I would like to hear your opinion and experience in online courses.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Agreed. The funny thing is that self-study is awesome for a perceiver, but I find myself stressed in the same way you describe Judgers being stressed by online courses. I feel suffocated if I have to every day study on someone elses pace, I can manage evening classes because it's not as frequent, but online studying is the perfect match. It allows me to study whenever, and the courses provided still give me enough structure to feel like I aint missing fundamentals or basics, and I can actually gain an oversight of the material instead of feeling lost or like I'm drowning, not knowing what to start with first (which is my problem with self-study)

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm a J and I love online classes :) I'm doing my masters degree online (i'm done in June, yay!!) and it is so much easier for me this way. Undergrad was the usual in-person lectures and such... I hated sitting there listening to the professor talk for an hour three times a week. I would often daydream or write notes to my husband, haha.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Sounds like I should change my theory to Intuitives like online courses?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I love online classes myself, although here an oline degree is considered hogwash/worthless.

P

Phantonym

I hated sitting there listening to the professor talk for an hour three times a week. I would often daydream or write notes to my husband, haha.

+1 to that.

I'm a J and I love online classes as well. With regular lectures and classes, I hate that I have no say about it. I'm told what and when to do something. That makes it all pretty disgusting and makes me awfully stessed. With online classes, it is about creating a structure myself but it's exactly the way I like it. I can do them 3 am or sitting in the park with my laptop while still keeping the deadlines for the assignments in mind and I can plan my time accordingly. It's about whether I'm in control or somebody else controls me.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I do not like online courses. I always put them behind real courses and get lazy with them. Luckily the tests were mostly open book.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
+1 to that.

I'm a J and I love online classes as well. With regular lectures and classes, I hate that I have no say about it. I'm told what and when to do something. That makes it all pretty disgusting and makes me awfully stessed. With online classes, it is about creating a structure myself but it's exactly the way I like it. I can do them 3 am or sitting in the park with my laptop while still keeping the deadlines for the assignments in mind and I can plan my time accordingly. It's about whether I'm in control or somebody else controls me.

Not that anyone wonders but have you guys ever tried asking your teacher what you are going to study this or that term and get a piece of paper of materials so that you can go through the material in your own pace?

Most teachers tend to be flexible as long as you show interest and willing to do things in a way that will have taught you more rather than less.

Sure, classes may or may not be structured in a way that you do not enjoy but at least you have a choice to make. Whether to keep going the pace of classes or just ask to have a final date for all essays/exams and take your time the way you like.

If you get a no, of which is very unlikely but if you do get a no then there's always a superior and if you are not ready to perhaps strain your teacher out of fear a lower grade then perhaps that teacher is not under whom you should study. Change teachers. ;)

But, uh, I've never taken online courses and just thought I'd reply what I do that may seem as an online course.

P

Phantonym

Not that anyone wonders but have you guys ever tried asking your teacher what you are going to study this or that term and get a piece of paper of materials so that you can go through the material in your own pace?

Most teachers tend to be flexible as long as you show interest and willing to do things in a way that will have taught you more rather than less.

Sure, classes may or may not be structured in a way that you do not enjoy but at least you have a choice to make. Whether to keep going the pace of classes or just ask to have a final date for all essays/exams and take your time the way you like.

If you get a no, of which is very unlikely but if you do get a no then there's always a superior and if you are not ready to perhaps strain your teacher out of fear a lower grade then perhaps that teacher is not under whom you should study. Change teachers. ;)

I attend a university so that's already pretty flexible. We get these course outlines that state what and when some subject will be covered and of course the deadlines for the essays/assignments/projects. Attendance to most lectures is not mandatory. And I exercise that right most freely and do my own research on the subjects I like.

However, I actually feel guilty of not attending because I take a lot of classes and the material that has to be covered on my own is quite extensive which I wouldn't actually mind but having a feeling that I'm pressured to do it sucks all the fun out of it. So, I still have to attend some of the classes regularly to get the basic coverage of the material and get the exams out of my way. Everything about it is so mechanical. There's mostly no enjoyment involved in the process of studying but I think that's only my own problem. Slave labour comes to mind...

What I like about online courses is that although there are deadlines, it still feels like I'm doing it much more freely than with attending the lectures. The pressure is off and I can actually feel that I'm starting to enjoy studying this particular subject.
All the useful materials are provided for me, so that means there's less time for me to worry about working through some useless junk and more time to actually concentrate on the assignments and enjoy studying. I can actually go through some extra materials and enjoy it as well.