• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and religion?

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
ENFJ - Christian (who actually reads and studies his Bible)

I did read that ENFJs have the highest chance of being religious of some sort.

I'll admit, it can be pretty intimidating to confess my faith to the public, but I need to be true to myself. While being true to myself, it is easier for me to be at peace with both my public and private self.

I try not to bother those who don't want to hear about my beliefs, but I will tell everybody why I believe the things I do.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm an infp, and i'm agnostic. i'm definitely not on the athiest side of that though, because i think there's some kind of creator/god/whatever. i was raised jewish but not very religiously :jew:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTP - Roman Catholic (semi practicing)

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
INFJ- A devout Christian. My faith brings such beauty and meaning to my life and defines so much of who I am.
I only really talk about my faith if someone is interested in what I believe, but I do like to at least mention that I am a Christian to people who are getting to know me because there isn't any way a person could understand me without knowing about my beliefs.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP . . . ish. I'm a spiritual atheist whose beliefs have things in common with many others, most especially those of Nietzsche, Buddhism, and existentialism. I point out those similarities more as useful reference points than anything else; all the things I believe come from introspection, and I never adopt another person's ideas unless, after learning about them, they later show up in my thoughts in a way that feels natural and original.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENFP - I'm an atheist and work with philosophy of ethics and aesthetics.

I do activism for everybody's equal right to free thinking, believing, expressing, doubting, disagreeing etc. but I never automatically extend my respect for people to respect for the crapload of ideas people have come up with during the centuries.
In particular, I find it hard to respect religious ideas because they are: 1. false qua grasping reality, 2. dangerous qua making a just and good society and 3. bad taste qua appreciating life in this world.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
INFP - agnostic. I don't believe in god, but I reserve the right to be wrong. I was raised by an atheist who taught me to question everything, including him.
I consider myself a bit spritual.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
INFJ

Not entirely sure how to describe my religious beliefs.

I'm agnostic in that I don't believe that we can know in this life whether or not there is a god and who/what it is.

I'm theistic in that I do believe there is a god. More specifically, I am Christian. My doctrinal beliefs and the way I live aligns pretty closely with the Assemblies of God, a conservative, charismatic, Evangelical denomination.

However, I can't seem to stand attending Assemblies of God churches because of the frequently displayed ignorance, the alliance with the GOP, the lack of concern for social justice, the fight against the freedoms of people who believe differently, etc.

So we have been attending a Salvation Army chapel for the last several weeks. I like it okay, but I'm not sure how long they are going to like us. Noted decided chill from the pastor last Sunday. I'm hoping it's NiFe paranoia.

cleverusername

I'm still working out if I'm an INTJ or an INTP (I'm leaning toward the latter right now, and I know there's a significant difference between Ni/Te and Ti/Ne) and if I'm also really an E. Whatever type I most identify with I think it would be most accurate to say I'm agnostic. I don't think about religion a whole lot, but I also can't say with any certainty that there is not a "god" of some sort, however you want to define the concept in this context.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENFP-Atheist, there seems to be a lot of these.

I think the teaching of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy come closest to my description of the marvel of Life, the Universe, and Everything. It's amazing by itself and does no religion as for embellishment or explanation. Humans are mostly good too, which is kind of a spiritual feeling knowing this. I guess N makes me slightly spiritual, but again more amazed at the random beauty of the universe more than me wondering how or why it was created. I can see people and I get relatively strong directions from my N, though I usually have no real idea why it's telling me to do something- I just know that I had better do it- Bio is pretty frakkin awesome (kindof a geek)- simply amazing.
I wonder if maybe that's why a lot of ENFP's think spirituality has nothing to do with God/s and come from within.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ

Agnostic bordering on atheist. I don't believe in any notion of a 'God' that would be practiced in any sort of established church/community or that needs to be worshipped. My notion of 'God'/power would be more sci-fi-ish, some sort of elemental/subatomic force holding the universe together. It simply exists. Which is why I tend to think I'm closer to atheism. I also tend to like some of the tenets of buddhism; however, I don't view that as a religion because it's more a life philosophy without a need to bring a higher power into the mix.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP - Atheistic Agnostic basicaly atheist but not 100% as I'm not 100% anything

I was raised catholic by ESxJs and chose to stop going to church at 13 as I disagrred with the whole concept of it all.

Its interesting to see the difference in religious views between the americans and the Europeans. Europeans seem far less religious and the americans seem to take it far more serious.

LEGERdeMAIN

INFJ

Not entirely sure how to describe my religious beliefs.

I'm agnostic in that I don't believe that we can know in this life whether or not there is a god and who/what it is.

I'm theistic in that I do believe there is a god. More specifically, I am Christian. My doctrinal beliefs and the way I live aligns pretty closely with the Assemblies of God, a conservative, charismatic, Evangelical denomination.

However, I can't seem to stand attending Assemblies of God churches because of the frequently displayed ignorance, the alliance with the GOP, the lack of concern for social justice, the fight against the freedoms of people who believe differently, etc.

So we have been attending a Salvation Army chapel for the last several weeks. I like it okay, but I'm not sure how long they are going to like us. Noted decided chill from the pastor last Sunday. I'm hoping it's NiFe paranoia.

I suppose that would make you an agnostic christian. Some people are torn between vanilla and chocolate ice crea, too.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP - Atheist

I believe in a lot of things - I just don't believe in a god.

I believe there is a great big universe ruled by simple laws of nature. I believe we humans have the right to observe the universe and do experiments in order to learn those laws.
I believe we have an Earth which provides us with food, ores and other prime materials (and a Sun for our energy, of course). We have the right to use the Earth as it is ours. We have the duty to protect it, too.
I believe humans are interesting creatures. We have the duty to treat the others as different, but as valuable as us, regardless of the differences.

If there is a god out there, I hope he values my honesty above a false belief.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INtP 5w4 sx/sp

Christian agnostic, bulk of religious background in conservative/evangelical faith with focus on evocative worship

The bottom line: I'm human, I can believe and intuit certain things but I'll never "know" them in the rational sense. Bottom line from Christianity is "Love God, love others as you love yourself," and we can argue about the rest until we're blue in the face and yet none of us can ever be an established authority on what is True vs theorized/doctrinized. Hence, my fallback into the "base conceptual framework of the faith" -- the attitudes and behaviors by which I try to treat others and myself and engage the Divine.... and my openness to other ways of thinking based on the natural outcome of those attitudes.

If there is a "judgment," the closest approximate of my beliefs is CS Lewis' "The Last Battle," where it's not about what beliefs you can articulate or what you outwardly profess, it's about -- when faced with Truth and the Divine -- whether you run from it out of fear and hate or step forward to embrace it out of love and desire (even if you're scared). Tash and Aslan are just names; one's moral nature by any name is still the same.

I think corporate engagement (such as a worship service) is powerful and useful, especially if the Divine is relational in nature and the faith communal, but I find most of the nuance of my spiritual growth has either occurred in solitude or else in one-on-one relationships to which I was deeply committed and willing to endure change for.

My faith was extremely intellectual when younger (it consisted of the memorization and study of holy books and commentaries, being able to articulate what they said, and arguing the points with others who disagreed); nowadays I don't have a lot of patience for that and am far more focused on my interactions with others and natural outcomes of different behaviors.

The biggest this is that revelation-based faiths (to be accepted on authority) can't serve as a foundation for me personally, I am very unstable because I can find no "rational" basis to undergird it all and thus have to take it on authority... and can't. I actually observe what works and what doesn't work, what leads to the best long-term outcomes, and compare that with my theoretical understanding and see how it lines up.

To me, this all seems to fit pretty well within an N-styled INTP framework -- lots of exploring, lots of openness, early rational (versus emotional or relational) approach, the actual beliefs have to be supportable in rational ways rather than just accepted from an authority.