• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is Ni?

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm having trouble understanding what exactly Ni is? Is Ni when you imagine having a conversation with someone? Is Ni when you see through a person but have difficulty communicating with him? What's the difference between Ni and Ne? Both synthesize information. Both read through the lines. What is Ni?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/21823-infp-turning-into-infj-4.html#post832333

Ne solves problems by tweaking the formula and trying a new combination of pieces to see what happens. Patterns exist out there in the world just waiting to be found, and would be there whether or not we were here to perceive them.

Ni solves problems by looking at them from a different angle such that they don't seem like problems anymore (and if you don't perceive them as problems anymore, by definition they aren't.) Patterns (and everything) exist only as a function of interpretation and everything is completely in your head.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm...there are heaps of threads on here regarding this and lots of information ...doing a search on it might be the better route to go.

At the moment I don't feel like going too deeply into it, but comparing myself to my ENTP friend, there's a HUGE difference between Ne-dom and Ni-dom. This may be a poor analogy and I'm going to steal it from how he self-described himself, but Ne is like a tree - starting at the trunk and growing up and out and there are an infinity of branches and things that the Ne-dom feels the need to explore and figure out. Starts out small, grows epically big. Whereas Ni might start out huge, lots of bundles of information, but the goal is to work it towards some final 'answer'. Ni hones in, Ne goes out. In VERY simplistic terms.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm...there are heaps of threads on here regarding this and lots of information ...doing a search on it might be the better route to go.

At the moment I don't feel like going too deeply into it, but comparing myself to my ENTP friend, there's a HUGE difference between Ne-dom and Ni-dom. This may be a poor analogy and I'm going to steal it from how he self-described himself, but Ne is like a tree - starting at the trunk and growing up and out and there are an infinity of branches and things that the Ne-dom feels the need to explore and figure out. Starts out small, grows epically big. Whereas Ni might start out huge, lots of bundles of information, but the goal is to work it towards some final 'answer'. Ni hones in, Ne goes out. In VERY simplistic terms.

That's not a bad way to think about it.

Evan has an idea on this that I like--he says Ne considers similar threads of meaning across many different varying contexts at once (breadth); Ni considers all the deepest implications of one context at a time (depth.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ni?

Ni is:

Infinity

Foresight

Vision

Strategy

Perspective

Sudden insight

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Ne solves problems by tweaking the formula and trying a new combination of pieces to see what happens. Patterns exist out there in the world just waiting to be found, and would be there whether or not we were here to perceive them.

Ni solves problems by looking at them from a different angle such that they don't seem like problems anymore (and if you don't perceive them as problems anymore, by definition they aren't.) Patterns (and everything) exist only as a function of interpretation and everything is completely in your head.

Yes!

Thank you for this explanation.

It's amazing how people think Ne CREATES or IMAGINES patterns, when it actually PERCEIVES them.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/21823-infp-turning-into-infj-4.html#post832333

Good, now I can stop worrying I'm ENTJ!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Suffice to say, is one of the words we cannot hear.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Introverted intuition is generally associated with the ability to recognize the unfolding of processes over time (patterns of events - how one event leads to another), and see intangible hints of relationships between processes or objects (cause and effect relationships ).

Most people here think Ni is magical possibilities.

Extraverted intuition is generally associated with the ability to recognize possibilities, create new opportunities and new beginnings, reconcile differing perspectives and viewpoints, and recognize hidden potential in situations and people.

G

Ginkgo

I think this is a good example of Ni. I would simply describe it as insight.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjNXdEGjO4"]Insight. Epiphany![/YOUTUBE]

I think the video maker is an INTJ.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dynamic processes within a highly localized matrix area (i.e. underlying principles of a given event, not the event itself).
Fundamental Nature of the MBTI

Jaguar

What's the difference between Ni and Ne?

Introverted iNtuition (Ni)

* Foreseeing
* Conceptualizing
* Understanding complex patterns
* Synthesizing and symbolizing
* Future

"This is how it will be."
"Aha, that's it!"

When Ni is a preferred process:

* You usually feel a certainty about what is going to happen, often without much detail and without being able to trace the actual data that would support the prediction.
* You focus on "what will be."
* You are energized by transformational visions of how someone can grow or of a completely original approach to get there.
* You are drawn to make those visions manifest.
* Frequently you experience flashes of insight that present themselves as very broad themes and complex whole patterns or systems of thought without being triggered by external events.
* Inner images come as a knowing that taps into universal symbols and with a certainty that they are true.

Introverted Intuiting is about Seeking Insights and Meanings

It focuses on:

* Identifying underlying meaning
* Identifying the inter-relatedness of data
* Synthesizing the information to reveal the "golden nuggets"

Its approach is to:

* Just state how or what action to take
* Rely on insight to develop vision for the future
* Envision without the need for tangible support

Introverted Intuiting's verbal communications are delivered in absolutes with a quest for meaning, i.e.:

* "Why?"
* Identifying the hidden meaning
* States what is going on behind the scenes

Introverted Intuiting's nonverbal cues are: reflective, serious, and confident; may appear complex, disengaged; could appear hesitant to respond.

To build rapport with introverted Intuiting, we can try:

* Providing a theoretical framework
* Using symbolic, conceptual language
* Relating concrete experience to theories
* Asking them to show you how they made their connections
* Asking for the long-term vision

Here are the sorts of complaints we make about introverted Intuiting when we feel uncomfortable. We say the person is:

* Serious and arrogant
* Complex and vague
* Theoretical or lacking specifics
* Inflexible and adversarial
* Out of touch with reality

Extraverted iNtuiting (Ne)

* Inferring
* Hypothesizing
* Seeing possibilities
* Wondering and brainstorming
* Emergent

"This is what might be."
"It could be this or this or this or . . ."

When Ne is a preferred process:

* Much reading "between the lines" occurs.
* Potential possibilities and meanings are "revealed" and must be explored.
* You feel fully engaged in emerging new approaches to doing things and are energized by discovering other perspectives,
in an ever-shifting succession of ideas or insights triggered by the particular situation, much like brainstorming.
* You frequently experience a flight of ideas that brings relevant pieces of information from one context into another.
* "What is" is not seen for what it is but for its relationship to other things.
* Everything is perceived in a context of a web of relationships. Nothing stands alone or is disconnected.

Extraverted Intuiting is about Seeking Patterns and Possibilities

It focuses on:

* Possibilities for the future
* Identifying connections and patterns within the data
* Connecting the current situation with other possible situations -- what could be

Its approach is to:

* Propose options
* Respond enthusiastically to the ideas of others
* Get excited about doing something differently

Extraverted Intuiting's verbal communications are delivered through possibilities, i.e.:

* "We could do this, or maybe that"
* Connects the dots without drawing the lines
* Rapid delivery following stream-of-consciousness thought

Extraverted Intuiting's nonverbal cues are: energetic, excited, enthusiastic; bounces easily from one topic to another; enjoys the rush of something new.

To build rapport with extraverted Intuiting, we can try:

* Presenting the big picture first
* Remaining open to new ideas
* Providing opportunities to brainstorm alternatives
* Allowing room to explore options without judgment
* Avoiding the need for accurate details

Here are the sorts of complaints we make about extraverted Intuiting when we feel uncomfortable. We say it's:

* Lacking in follow-through
* Random, flighty, and chaotic
* Too comfortable with inaccurate specifics and detail
* Disrespectful of traditional approaches
* Overly optimistic and enthusiastic

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think this is a good example of Ni. I would simply describe it as insight.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjNXdEGjO4"]Insight. Epiphany![/YOUTUBE]

I think the video maker is an INTP. (All types can experience Ni).

EDIT: I change my mind, he could easily be INTJ.

1. This video is awesome.

2. I agree that it's a good example of Ni.

3. Yeah, I'm thinking he's INTJ.

I have a lot of questions about this, too, but I'm having trouble formulating them.

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This thread is turning out real good. Iv'e been thinking about several face to face conversations about politics and past events, and my observations are not theoretical, but experiential. During talking I noticed certain " gut feelings I got from the speakers presentation. That this was an evasion, or something they were sensitive about. I thought this was a form of N, because it came from nowhere. Also, much of the talk evoked imagery, which was taken to absurd funny levels in conversation. I thought one type of N, was sort of in stinctual, more of a feeling, but another was to take reality, and just overlay lots of imagery(like science fiction).I wonder if someone could clarify this.

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It seems that Ni describes me much more than Ne does. Could this possibly mean that I am an INTJ instead of an INTP?

G

Ginkgo

It seems that Ni describes me much more than Ne does. Could this possibly mean that I am an INTJ instead of an INTP?

I think you're an INTP simply because you're questioning it.

What led you to believe that you were an INTP in the first place?

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
No, considering an INTP's dominant function is Ti not Ne. Have you considered being ISTP? Ti > Te, Se > Si, Ni > Ne, Fe > Fi. :yes:

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm definately N, nothing in the S category describes me. I'm very big-picture oriented.