• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stop Making MBTI Larger than it is.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was attempting to make a really concrete and simple point.

I understand all of the analysis, because that's how I immediately think about things, but for this thread, try to see it as simple as I do.

I'm stating my opinion. I was backing it up with examples. And I have talked briefly about how it is bad.

And no, INTJMom, this isn't because I see things this way. When I said that I think about it too much, I was completely Bullshitting so that people wouldn't think that I wasn't taking any of the blame for myself.

I think anyone who cannot see where I'm coming from is kind of in the shadows on this one.

I think you're in the shadows because you somehow don't realize that appropriating some MBTI terms =/= sticking to everything MBTI says.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think you're in the shadows because you somehow don't realize that appropriating some MBTI terms =/= sticking to everything MBTI says.

You know what? You're right.

This thread was a joke.

You have great insight, man.

Keep going about your business, everyone. You're all set. You're all going to do great.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think calling it MBTI (or sticking to only MBTI tenets) is beside the point. This whole deal of personality typing, whether you call it MBTI, typology, Socionics, or your mother, is being misused and that's what I think the OP was getting at. Not everyone here does, but there are a few that try to force-fit typology into explaining every crevice of human psychology.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think calling it MBTI is beside the point. This whole deal of personality typing, whether you call it MBTI, typology, Socionics, or your mother, is being misused and that's what I think the OP was getting at. Not everyone here does, but there are a few that try to force-fit typology into explaining every crevice of human psychology.

Simulatedworld wouldn't agree. Therefore, what you said is all BS.

Though I agree with you.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think calling it MBTI (or sticking to only MBTI tenets) is beside the point. This whole deal of personality typing, whether you call it MBTI, typology, Socionics, or your mother, is being misused and that's what I think the OP was getting at. Not everyone here does, but there are a few that try to force-fit typology into explaining every crevice of human psychology.

Well, I can agree that that's kind of silly, but I also think it's pretty uncommon.

I also don't really think it's that big a deal. It's just a discussion forum, after all. People come here to bounce around whatever random ideas they happen to be considering; often it's just harmless brainstorming that never really gets applied to real life. Especially with some people, asking, "I wonder if there's a connection here" is virtually automatic, even fleshing out theories as to how there might be a connection--but it's all just hypothetical chatter, and I think more people realize that about their own discussions than you seem to think.

Typology is just a form of philosophy anyway, and very few people (save for the NTJs who are still trying to "prove" or "disprove" it, meaningless terms in philosophy) seem to expect more out of it than that. Wondering aloud about a potential connection doesn't mean we've put dogmatic faith in it.

You know what? You're right.

This thread was a joke.

You have great insight, man.

Keep going about your business, everyone. You're all set. You're all going to do great.

hardy har. Seriously though my point was that this is an important distinction because "typology" is conceptually separate from "MBTI." MBTI is one definite and complete closed system that never changes. Typology is a broader term covering a wide variety of different ideas on this topic, many of which disagree with each other and most of which are constantly evolving. It's silly to overapply the former, sure, but the latter is something completely different and obviously has a lot more implications than the former...if typology is capable of changing to accommodate reality (as it does constantly), and as MBTI is not, then why should typology have any theoretical limitations? How could it be overapplied?

At the end of the day it's just an elaborate categorization system, and its limitations are defined solely by the extent of its external information input. As we gain more information regarding psychology and reality, our elaborate categorization system refines and adapts to reflect it...thus, the implications are literally endless.

I wasn't trying to needle you; this is really, really significantly different from "overapplying MBTI." They're just extremely different things.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
you can fix my car, oh, and I need my oil changed while you're at it.

Do i look like a mechanic? :huh: .. Sure why not, i'll give it a go .. My rates are rather expensive though.

Piss me off and i'm playing with your brakes .. Just making it clear to you :D

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have to disagree, Simulatedworld. I think our perceptions differ of how people use and apply Typology/MBTI/whatever you want to call it. That's where the disagreements are.

For me, I kind of feel like apply it too much to meaningless data and observations. Like the example MaybeLogic used when he was explaining what people are like in Vent. I wouldn't know, though, I've never been on Vent. Ultimately, I feel that this brings people into a routine of labeling and assuming. They give MBTI too much control. Way too much control.

But from what I've perceived of you, I think you view it a little more theoretical. That's a difference of perception, which isn't exactly wrong.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have to disagree, Simulatedworld. I think our perceptions differ of how people use and apply Typology/MBTI/whatever you want to call it. That's where the disagreements are.

Yes that was part of my point. There are a lot of different opinions on how it should work, so saying that it's overapplied is kind of an unfair generalization. I think that most people's typology is a lot more flexible than MBTI allows, and therefore much harder to overapply.

For me, I kind of feel like apply it too much to meaningless data and observations. Like the example MaybeLogic used when he was explaining what people are like in Vent. I wouldn't know, though, I've never been on Vent. Ultimately, I feel that this brings people into a routine of labeling and assuming. They give MBTI too much control. Way too much control.

Maybe some people do, but that's really looking at it backwards. We label and intuit, but we certainly do not assume. Here's an example...

I meet a new person. Let's say, hypothetically for the sake of this example, that he has exactly 10,000 different behavioral patterns. I observe 10 of these that fit into the category "ESTP" in my mind and so I make an initial observation that he seems ESTP. I'm not assuming anything; I'm trying to intuit 9,990 other behavioral patterns that I haven't seen yet because I lack complete information.

If the next 20 behavioral patterns contradict my initial ESTP impression, I will change that impression to something else. Anticipating that he may exhibit more ESTP behaviors after the first 10 are all consistent with my definition of ESTP is just intuition; we're most certainly not declaring with absolute certainty that he will follow all ESTP behavior. These type reads change and develop constantly as we get more information. It's purely a perception at this point; the more information we gain over time the closer it comes to becoming a definite judgment, but it never actually reaches "definite" status because we're operating purely on philosophy here.

As you can see, typology doesn't really have "control" of anything here, because its diagnosis is always subject to change based on new information coming in from outside. It would have control only if we assumed ESTP based on the first 10 behavioral sets and then also refused to change our minds later if he showed evidence to the contrary.

Since most people don't make that elementary mistake, I don't understand how people are giving typology "too much control."

But from what I've perceived of you, I think you view it a little more theoretical. That's a difference of perception, which isn't exactly wrong.

Yeah that's my point; none of this can possibly be factually right or wrong because it's all just philosophy. Exploring ideas for new ways in which it might have some theoretical implication is really not a bad thing, imo.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Why is this a bad thing? And I don't think that MBTI has too much control over my perceptions of people. You can work within the theory and apply it, but you must also be subjective and understand how the person is individually. This is basically the most rational way to apply it I'd say.

What got you going on about this anyways? If someone misuses Typology in judging people, call them a complete moron and move on.

All that Typology does is help you if you use it correctly. Don't abandon it because of how OTHER people use it.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
OneWithSoul, MBTI is like existential crack for a lot of these people.

It's a salve that solves.

Don't take their crackpipes away, dammit!!!

:azdaja:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ultimately, I feel that this brings people into a routine of labeling and assuming. They give MBTI too much control. Way too much control.

There's nothing wrong with trying to understand the people around you, theorizing, etc. But this, yes. When it starts to become a way to discriminate and make false assumptions about people, typology ceases to be useful and begins to tread the line of detrimental.

I see people writing "You're XXXX, of course you're _____" or before they get to know a person, have all these biases about what a person is supposed to be like based on type theory and/or others they knew of the type. They'll stick adamantly to their assumptions even if the person says it's not true. Making the person fit the type and not the type fit the person. A type doesn't encapsulate the sum total of a person; their tendencies, beliefs, abilities.

I think for me it's just becoming silly and trite, but we'll see. This isn't so much of a rant on my part but just an :confused:.

You can work within the theory and apply it, but you must also be subjective and understand how the person is individually.

Yes.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Do i look like a mechanic? :huh: .. Sure why not, i'll give it a go .. My rates are rather expensive though.

This is why actual funny comedians are N's. :newwink:

Mole

Permabanned
OneWithSoul, MBTI is like existential crack for a lot of these people.

It's a salve that solves.

Don't take their crackpipes away, dammit!!!

:azdaja:

Yes, its interesting isn't it? It plainly meets our needs, yet is also clouds our vision.

But once we see through a particular belief system, we develop a taste for seeing clearly. And we are less likely to be taken in by the next belief system. It's almost as though we develop a psychological immunity to belief without evidence.

Of course seeing clearly doesn't solve our problems, but at least it isn't avoiding them.

Believing without evidence is a bit like palliative care - it doesn't cure but we feel better.

LEGERdeMAIN

You can play with my brakes anytime.

Jaguar

I see people writing "You're XXXX, of course you're _____" or before they get to know a person, have all these biases about what a person is supposed to be like based on type theory and/or others they knew of the type. They'll stick adamantly to their assumptions even if the person says it's not true. Making the person fit the type and not the type fit the person. A type doesn't encapsulate the sum total of a person; their tendencies, beliefs, abilities.

You should hear Simulated when he bitches about Te.

The world is coming to an end: It's Te's fault.
Wild boars are running down Wall Street: It's Te's fault.
72 Virgins are in the sky: It's Te's fault.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
You should hear Simulated when he bitches about Te.

The world is coming to an end: It's Te's fault.
Wild boars are running down Wall Street: It's Te's fault.
72 Virgins are in the sky: It's Te's fault.

Leave the 72 virgins out of it yeah .. A girls gotta dream .. lmao ..
*makes haste out the room*

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You know what they say: who are more worse the bitches or the ones who bitch about the bitches ?

In the end, Oberon was right:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGPHOSieC8"].[/YOUTUBE]