• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to communicate with an ExxJ

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This thread is to help people have better communications with the EJs in their life.

I feel like understanding the motivations of dominant extroverted judgment are deeply misunderstood on this forum and there isn't as much thought invested in what it means to be a dominant extroverted judger. EJs are often seen one dimensionally and their motivations tend to primarily be portrayed as mechanism of controlling other people against their will.

ExxJs are not one monolithic group anymore than INs are. ExFJs/ExTJs and ESxJs/ENxJs all have different things that make our toes tap and hearts swell. There are very important distinctions just as there are many similarities. One question that repeatedly pops up in my mind is why do I have so little difficulties with the ExxJs I know? I think one of the answers is the way EJs communicate I don't necessarily perceive as controlling or dictatorial. When I see a situation being brought to closure, I find that reassuring and competent if my need for information is satisfied and I feel the conclusion that's reached is beneficial for as many people as possible and solves the problem.

Te and Fe use commonly agreed upon standards and definitions to make decisions and deduce logic. That does not mean a Dom Te and Fe automatically follows or doesn't deviate from what that standard is, but is does imply that they more attuned to what it is. Sometimes, when you know exactly what that standard is, you can manipulate it, exploit it, or break it with greater ease than those who don't or don't know what they did "wrong" to get into the predicament they are in. On the other side, I think this contributes greatly to a common EJ mindset of "who's gonna stop me?/You and what army?" that people complain about. Standards also differ from community to community, situation to situation, and during different time periods. IOW, I think an ESFJ from Hinterlands, Iowa is going to look and present differently than an ESFJ from New York City, and beyond.

Dom Te and Fe also look very different depending on what introverted perceiving function is fueling it, but I think that many people often conflate cultural Te and Fe with Si.

So now that I'm done with my rambling add or ask anything feel free and I'd like to add I'm well acquainted with the problems people have with EJs so like I said, the purpose of this thread is to understand why an ExxJ may think the way the do. Of course, no one can look into crystal ball and figure out exactly how another's mind works but this thread may lead to some answers.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It gets tough after a while, because many here like to view us through a (IMHO) narrow lens that doesn't lend itself to understanding the EJ as a multifaceted person.

Since there aren't as many EJ's on the site as other types, it is easy for this perception to spread. Once it has, it almost seems like a fruitless battle to try and dispel the myths about us. And even when we do try, the common argument that follows goes something like "Your an EXTJ, you don't care anyway so stop complaining" (I have generally found that the tendency to stereotype EJ's is most likely when the member in question is a EXTJ). Which, while partially true, doesn't provide (unless you live in the narnia of logical reasoning) a valid excuse for the commonly accepted stereotyping that goes on. The worst part about this, in my mind at least, is I see these views occasionally espoused by (one or two of) the moderators.

If this was happening to the INTP's, or INFP's, or whoever else, the board would be up in arms (mostly due to the skewed distribution of the types on this forum b/c it's on the internet). Just because there are fewer of us, and we generally care less about what the masses think of us, does NOT mean that it doesn't bother us when we are continually painted as Atilla the F**king Hun.

While, given our extroverted nature, it is easier for the other types to have had negative experiences with under developed EJ's in their personal real world lives, it seems that members act with giddy enthusiasm when assuming that the EJ's on this board have the same negative traits they have experienced in RL.

If you want someone to act like an animal, all you need to do is cage them.

It seems that we have been caged by the general membership's opinion of us, and thereby it seems like we are more likely to act in accordance with these norms b/c we can't change the way everyone thinks anyway.:steam:

I have more thoughts on the subject but need to get back to reading family law.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is interesting.

I know a few (MBTI tested) EXXJs.
My Dad = ESTJ
My Ex-Girlfriend = ENFJ
Childhood friend (female) = ESTJ

I suspect that my Father-in-law is ESFJ or ESTJ, but haven't had him tested yet.

Basically, here's my take on the EXXJ's I know.

They are systematic.

They are well intended.

They observe and recognize existing rule sets but if given the opportunity to have influence will gladly promote their own ideology.

They are neat freaks.

They are vain in their own right, but I perceive it as more of a refelction of their internal self-confidence, rather than vanity for the sake of being a peacock, of making others feel bad.

All ESTJ's I know, both exhibit alpha male/female tendencies.

I have read in a few places that ESTJ and ESTP are the two types most predisposed to being control freaks.

The one's I know are actually quick to anger, but just as quick to forgive.

They are very funny people if you get to know them.

That's all I've got for now. :D

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Be explicit, if you aren't accurately representing your thoughts or feelings then we need to figure it out ourselves. (We're not great at this)

This reliance on ourselves to figure out what others are thinking is a loss to everyone, essentially you're handing yourself over to Ni or Si to be categorized.

Ever notice how ENFJs will get insulted for seemingly no reason? That's a result of limited or inaccurate information regarding the intentions of individuals.

Ever notice how ESTJs will give you answers to questions you didn't ask and directions for things you know how to do? ditto.

ENTJs turning everything into an attack on ideas you don't even have but find yourself arguing for anyway? same thing :(

I'm not trying to take the "blame" away from EJs.

It will benefit everyone if information can be spread more efficiently.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
This is interesting.

I know a few (MBTI tested) EXXJs.
My Dad = ESTJ
My Ex-Girlfriend = ENFJ
Childhood friend (female) = ESTJ

I suspect that my Father-in-law is ESFJ or ESTJ, but haven't had him tested yet.

Basically, here's my take on the EXXJ's I know.

They are systematic.

They are well intended.

They observe and recognize existing rule sets but if given the opportunity to have influence will gladly promote their own ideology.

They are neat freaks.

They are vain in their own right, but I perceive it as more of a reflection of their internal self-confidence, rather than vanity for the sake of being a peacock, of making others feel bad.

All ESTJ's I know, both exhibit alpha male/female tendencies.

Wife is an ENTJ. Definitely demonstrates Alpha Female qualities - especially while at work. She's had more than a few people confess their intimidation; often to her bewilderment (sometimes it's intentional... :D).

She's just "getting the job done" (her words) and generally doesn't mean to trample folks underfoot.

Oh, and all your bullet points are correct, Halla. Absolutely correct.

Big fan of ENTJs.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ex - ESTJ
Two of my best friends are ENTJ.

I think both are extremely loyal people. True to their friends. They want things to be exact and precise. This includes communication. They both can't stand liars or people who try to use "white" lies to get around the truth. (Be blunt - it's okay). I can't say enough good things about these types. They have their weakness like every other type do but I think a lot of their "negative" stereotypes on this forum is due to the fact that most people are probably interacting with them on a co-worker/boss relationship. They are very different outside of their jobs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It gets tough after a while, because many here like to view us through a (IMHO) narrow lens that doesn't lend itself to understanding the EJ as a multifaceted person.

Since there aren't as many EJ's on the site as other types, it is easy for this perception to spread. Once it has, it almost seems like a fruitless battle to try and dispel the myths about us. And even when we do try, the common argument that follows goes something like "Your an EXTJ, you don't care anyway so stop complaining" (I have generally found that the tendency to stereotype EJ's is most likely when member in question is a EXTJ). Which, while partially true, doesn't provide (unless you live in the narnia of logical reasoning) a valid excuse for the commonly accepted stereotyping that goes on. The worst part about this, in my mind at least, is I see these views occasionally espoused by (one or two of) the moderators.

If this was happening to the INTP's, or INFP's, or whoever else, the board would be up in arms (mostly due to the skewed distribution of the types on this forum b/c it's on the internet). Just because there are fewer of us, and we generally care less about what the masses think of us, does NOT mean that it doesn't bother us when we are continually painted as Atilla the F**king Hun.

While, given our extroverted nature, it is easier for the other types to have had negative experiences with under developed EJ's in their personal real world lives, it seems that members act with giddy enthusiasm when assuming that the EJ's on this board have the same negative traits they have experienced in RL.

I you want someone to act like an animal, all you need to do is cage them.

It seems that we have been caged by the general membership's opinion of us, and thereby it seems like we are more likely to act in accordance with these norms b/c we can't change the way everyone thinks anyway.:steam:

I have more thoughts on the subject but need to get back to reading family law.

I love ya...

... but you realize that people are coming here to find out positive information in order to understand you better, and instead you basically posted a rant about what you're upset about?

It's just sort of affirming the negatives some people haven't yet risen above.

I want to hear more about how you FUNCTION.
Work the thread, baby! ;)
People are listening!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread is to help people have better communications with the EJs in their life.

ExxJs are not one monolithic group anymore than INs are. ExFJs/ExTJs and ESxJs/ENxJs all have different things that make our toes tap and hearts swell. There are very important distinctions just as there are many similarities.

Important point. Lumping ExxJ's and behaviors together (while there are certainly commonalities) would be analagous to putting the INFJ's, ISTJ's, INTJ's, and ISFJ's on the same playing field, with same sorts of motivations - something we obviously don't do on this forum.

One question that repeatedly pops up in my mind is why do I have so little difficulties with the ExxJs I know? I think one of the answers is the way EJs communicate I don't necessarily perceive as controlling or dictatorial. When I see a situation being brought to closure, I find that reassuring and competent if my need for information is satisfied and I feel the conclusion that's reached is beneficial for as many people as possible and solves the problem.

The bolded is very important. I tend not to perceive ExxJ communication as controlling, either. It all boils down to ones preferred communication mode, which is why P's would tend to find the ExxJ approach more abrasive.

Also, I think many people misconstrue intent/motivation behind a said behavior. An ISTP might bristle at an ENTJ comment because if the ISTP were to say the comment himself, it would have a very different intent behind it. Thus the ISTP might project what would be his own motivations onto the ExxJ - quite in error. (this is just an example, don't read into it too much)

Te and Fe use commonly agreed upon standards and definitions to make decisions and deduce logic. That does not mean a Dom Te and Fe automatically follows or doesn't deviate from what that standard is, but is does imply that they more attuned to what it is. Sometimes, when you know exactly what that standard is, you can manipulate it, exploit it, or break it with greater ease than those who don't or don't know what they did "wrong" to get into the predicament they are in. On the other side, I think this contributes greatly to a common EJ mindset of "who's gonna stop me?/You and what army?" that people complain about. Standards also differ from community to community, situation to situation, and during different time periods. IOW, I think an ESFJ from Hinterlands, Iowa is going to look and present differently than an ESFJ from New York City, and beyond.

Yup, good points.

Dom Te and Fe also look very different depending on what introverted perceiving function is fueling it, but I think that many people often conflate cultural Te and Fe with Si.

I would agree. There is less of an understanding of dominant Te with aux Ni, and dominant Fe with aux Ni. Te behaviors often get stereotyped as they are associated with Si, and Fe behaviors with Si.

Being a J myself (and close friends with 2 ENTJ's), I don't think I get as put off with ExxJ behavior/communication as some might; actually I find my ENTJ friends quite refreshing. But, I think you have started an excellent thread. It would be cool if people came in with questions/problems/issues.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think I should trick people in by calling it "How to communicate with an INFJ" or "ENFP :wubbie: INTJ!!11!!" and watch the replies pour in. ;)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I should trick people in by calling it "How to communicate with an INFJ" or "ENFP :wubbie: INTJ!!11!!" and watch the replies pour in. ;)

:laugh:

Honestly, I'm finding it difficult to instruct people on how to communicate with ExxJ's, because I don't find it difficult. haha.

I think my ENTJ friends value closure/plans a bit more than I, and can become more stressed out in the absence of that, but I don't have a problem with that. Our actual conversations are much more Ni-driven. I dunno, I guess my J-ness impedes my ability to have a 'problem' with them or their thought-processes or communication style. :laugh: I can try to come up more constructive things, but at the moment I'm at a loss as to the ExxJ hate.

I think as you allude to in the OP, people (mostly INxx's) tend to have more angst towards ESxJ's; perhaps understandably, seeing as ESxJ's approach/prioritize things quite differently than the INxx, but communication-wise, just remembering their desire for completion, for wanting things more defined and organized, and placing value on processes that typically have a logical/rational reason for having been put in place to begin with, might make it a bit easier. And you already pointed out that just because Te/Fe tends to value processes as they are, does NOT mean the Te/Fe-dom is blind to other alternatives. They could be the optimal ones to work the system the best, and most efficiently.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I love ya...

... but you realize that people are coming here to find out positive information in order to understand you better, and instead you basically posted a rant about what you're upset about?

It's just sort of affirming the negatives some people haven't yet risen above.

I want to hear more about how you FUNCTION.
Work the thread, baby! ;)
People are listening!

When I wrote this I was kinda in a time crunch, and a little miffed.

I'll come back and post something more productive once I've had my cooling off period, and had time to digest the rest of the info in the thread.

:D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
gun.jpg
+
29303Handschellen.jpg
+
301191351.jpg

? :D

Jaguar

Thanks for giving me a solution to my problem with some ENTPs. :hi:

gun.jpg

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
To not forget my 5 cents: of all the types the ENTJ proved to be the most easiest one for me to communicate with. That doesnt mean they are dumb, but they are good with kids :D.

I do not have much to criticise about an ENTJ, infact I got nothing.

One could say my inner chi is in perfect sync with the things a typical ENTJ says and that's a thing that really frightens me xD

Wish my dad would see that, he would never call me again to be the one who always needs to have the last word :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
+ I think the ENTJ has got a very bad image. One that doesnt fit who they really are.

The ENTP got too, but that I dont care about, that's good for self-defense :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I love you for this post.

But for real, I never really have issues with communicating with EJs. The point murkrow brings up is very good, you just basically have to be up front or you will be misinterpreted. If they get that "who's gonna stop me?" attitude, then don't back down, since that's your invitation to prove them wrong and continue the conversation/debate.

My experience is with an ENFJ (mother) who has had some issues, but has gotten to a healthy level as of late, and with an ESTJ step mother who really seems to be not well rounded... and all you can do with her is ignore the intimidation factor. So I guess I've learned based on growing up.

But before that, I pretty much had no idea. IP vs EJ.

I also like what cascadeco said as an example-

Also, I think many people misconstrue intent/motivation behind a said behavior. An ISTP might bristle at an ENTJ comment because if the ISTP were to say the comment himself, it would have a very different intent behind it. Thus the ISTP might project what would be his own motivations onto the ExxJ - quite in error. (this is just an example, don't read into it too much)

I have to catch myself doing this (especially as an Fi dom), this is a mistake I've learned to correct in my life.

Remember, no one really WANTS to hurt you or anything like that in normal conversation (unless it's obvious), so "standing up" to an EJ shouldn't be that intimidating if you tell yourself that.

But in my experience, I've always been very straightforward with my ENFJ mom, and she's always been very straightforward with me, and we have virtually no issues (we worked out our issues, which weren't related to type). The way I see her get into this mode is when she's explaining how she thinks something should develop or what she thinks someone's intentions are, she says it in such a way that it seems pointless to argue. But all you really have to do is put your input in... that's what they really want it seems.