• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Step III

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I happened to be Googling info on MBTI Step II today and ran across mention of the Step III test supposedly released this past summer, along with a sample.

Anyone have any more information on this new iteration of the test?

For those who do not know what Step II is (let alone III), we have an old thread on the MBTI vs MBTI II here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...y-matrices/388-mbti-vs-mbti-step-ii-test.html

For some Step II samples for what types I could find (most of the samples are ISTJ, it seems), look here:
ISTJ
ENTP
INTJ
ESTP

And, the most info I could find on Step III, this INTP sample:
INTP

The Step III presentation is interesting for this report because it tries to give a comprehensive description of the person rather than revealing scores in main and subtraits for the person being tested. You just get a lot of descriptive statements.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks Jennifer. Like the questions and suggested challenges aspect of how it was presented. Am a bit unclear on how one step is distinguished from the other although. Regardless quiet an interesting read on the example of the INTP patient which seems even more individualistic than most INTP break downs of character type. :)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Hmm. The Your Approach to Yourself and the World, Your Approach to People and Relationships, and Your Approach to Responsibility and Work about 75% parts sound generic and could be applied to anyone, while the rest kind of seem geared towards a general introverted personality. I'd like to see how the profile reports compare.

• You appear to have confidence in yourself and your ability to handle the situations you face in at least some areas of your life.

• When you experience self-doubt, it may show itself in some awkwardness around people, so you might be seen as shy.

• You see difficulties as a challenge, are willing and ready to deal with them, and have confidence that you will succeed.

• Your sense of well-being is reflected in seeing yourself as energetic, enthusiastic, and confident in your decision-making and in living your life in general.

• You indicate that you do not worry beyond appropriate areas of concern.

• You are so intently focused on the future that you may not be taking much pleasure in the present.

You favor close relationships with relatively few people, rather than having a broad acquaintanceship with many people.

• Your relationships might be more satisfying if you recognized others for their contributions and
expressed your appreciation of them more openly.

• Sometimes you disagree with what is being said, but don’t necessarily express your disagreement.

• Some people may not find you easy to work with and may see you as cooperating with them only when it suits you.

• You are quite reticent about expressing your personal feelings.

• You tend to take responsibility only for things that really interest you and reject responsibility in other areas, perhaps because you are not sure of yourself in those areas, or because you don’t want to be burdened by being responsible for things in which you have no interest.

• You tend to work more steadily on things that are interesting than on things that are not.

• You seem to be much more comfortable when your work does not involve pressure or deadlines.

• You may feel frustrated because the demands of work leave you too little time to have fun in your life.

• As often as not, you seem to like starting well in advance of deadlines and working steadily to meet them.

• In certain arenas at work, you seem to like keeping your options open so you’re not locked into plans made way in advance.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
keep the critiques comin'. ;)

Forer is pretty obvious if you take the statements one-on-one. I wonder if they have more power when stacked together.

It's kind of hard to evaluate the results without having a good cross-sample of various outcomes. Unfortunately, this is the only sample of the Step III I can find right now.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I forgot my usual 1:1 good/bad rule! :doh:

The challenge questions are a good addition. In fact, I'd prefer to see how people answer the challenge questions as an indicator of personality type. I think they'd yield more interesting answers.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like the format and layout of the information.

Jaguar

I read the new ISTJ report.

An ISTJ with out-of-preference imagination. hahaha. hahaha. hahaha.
Their stupidity is reaching epic proportions.

People will do anything to avoid admitting the theory was severely flawed to begin with.
The S/N dichotomy has always been nothing more than assumption. Not fact.
S and N are not mutually exclusive.
Even after all these decades, MBTI still doesn't get it.
If they told the truth, they would lose millions.

So rather than present the truth, they now call S's with N "out of preference,"
and N's with S "out of preference."

Rubbish.

People can easily use both N and S, without being "out of preference."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An ISTJ with out-of-preference imagination. hahaha. hahaha. hahaha.
Their stupidity is reaching epic proportions.

People will do anything to avoid admitting the theory was severely flawed to begin with.
The S/N dichotomy has always been nothing more than assumption. Not fact.
S and N are not mutually exclusive.
Even after all these decades, MBTI still doesn't get it.
If they told the truth, they would lose millions.

So rather than present the truth, they now call S's with N "out of preference,"
and N's with S "out of preference."

Rubbish.

*shrug*

A framework is a framework.
Every theory takes such stances, so it doesn't particularly bug me in itself.
Especially because I know concrete people who are intuitive in some ways but not others, while still remaining at core concrete. (and vice versa)

But if the patches get too complicated/convoluted, then it's time something got reworked.

The money is an issue nowadays, true; but I don't think it's the driving force, if there is any flaw it's simply someone being over-attached to their theory. You know how idealists or theorists are.

PM: Yeah, good point about the challenge questions... and yes, I think those might be even more informative.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Jag, it's my understanding that you start out with one "information gathering" method and eventually you get your second one once you hit your third function.

i.e., a more wide range of ability comes with maturity.

Also, i've seen "X" information gatherers slowly develop the beginnings of both sides; Remember that N and S are merely marking points on the same scale to describe where you are on that scale.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What challenge questions are you and PM referring to?

I'm pretty sure she meant in the Step III sections, underneath all the descriptive statements, there are questions (in aqua?) that are general-answer, where the answers might be far more revealing than the original test questions (whatever they were).

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yes, I'm referring to the questions underneath each bullet point in aqua.

Like for example, I think a good test question for extroverted perception that's in this INTP MBTI Step 3 is: Does maintaining openness ever result in excessively delaying a decision? and maybe adding a little on about how comfortable a person in during this delay period. Maybe a person who prefers extroverted judgment would express more anxiety during this period. It's way better than asking "how often are you on time for your appointments?"

Jaguar

Yes, I'm referring to the questions underneath each bullet point in aqua.

Like for example, I think a good test question for extroverted perception that's in this INTP MBTI Step 3 is: Does maintaining openness ever result in excessively delaying a decision? and maybe adding a little on about how comfortable a person in during this delay period. Maybe a person who prefers extroverted judgment would express more anxiety during this period. It's way better than asking "how often are you on time for your appointments?"

I've often found that appt. question misleading.
My Dad will leave far in advance of an appt, and arrive early.
I get there on time, but I wait until the last minute to leave.
So I am usually driving fast to get there.
But then I am a fast mover, by nature.
Walking, talking, driving etc.
My Dad is slow walking, talking, and driving.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yup, that's the level of granularity that makes the question too broad unless you already understand what they are asking. There are so many ways to be early and be late that it's the method that matters more.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Yeah, I think that if questions were improved to reflect people's real habits, why someone does what they do instead of just looking at the fact that they do it, then MBTI skeptics :)newwink:) would see this as a viable resource to understand the mental modes of self and others. It's easy to disregard take with a certain level of seriousness when your HR department uses something that you saw on Hello Quizzy.

An INFP friend of mine lives on her Blackberry and rigidly schedules everything. When we talked about this, she says she's her embarrassment about being late, missing a deadline, or keeping another person waiting causes her to schedule herself so tightly. Also she's a researcher and I'm sure a lot of the structure she's had to learn due to her career and education has rubbed off into her personal life. On the Big Five, she scores above average on the conscientiousness factor.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
You appear to have confidence in yourself and your ability to handle the situations you face in at least some areas of your life.

Wow, how vague is that? :shock:

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
It is interesting that the individualized descriptions emphasize the areas where someone tests strongly opposite to the archetype. For the ISTJ they added the descriptor "imaginative" since that was the area which tested high on the N scale, and the INTJ one included "tender and open-ended" (F and P traits). Defining someone's type by the way it deviates from the archetype is a backwards way to come at type descriptions.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've known about this for a while, and even was the one who first added the info about it on the Wikipedia article on MBTI.
Back then, before it came out, it was described as going more in depth with specifically the J/P scale. Is that what this is doing? I'll have to study it. (First time I've seen a sample report. I kept hearing it was coming out "soon", and lost track of what was going on with it).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Skimming through the MBTI Manual I just got, I see it says on p.10 that the Step III IS the Type Differentiation Indicator! (Form J)

All the time I had gotten the sense that they were two different extensions. TDI is the one that introduces the additional factor of Comfort-Discomfort (Neuroticism, basically), while Step III was only described on the CAPT site, as "going more in depth on the J/P scale".

The sample reports on the site mention nothing about C/D. Perhaps, they're still trying to downplay it ("too negative"), which is why the 7 subscales were left out of Steps I and II in the first place. Form J "contained all 290 items written by Myers that had survived her previous item analyses". (p.131)