• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

P is for Procrastination?

Do you Procrastinate?

• I am a P and I tend to procrastinate

Votes: 43 81.1%
  • I am a J and I tend to procrastinate

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • I am a P and I tend NOT to procrastinate

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I am a J and I tend NOT to procrastinate

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
G

Ginkgo

There is seemingly a trend of Ps who tend to procrastinate and Js who don't. At least, that's what the common conception is.

However, I have a few ESXJ friends who procrastinate for various reasons. Therefore, I wonder why they procrastinate, and why other types procrastinate.

Are you a P or a J? Do you procrastinate? Why?

LEGERdeMAIN

I don't procrastinate when it comes to paying taxes, preparing dinner, trimming toe nails. I work a lot, commuting about 1 1/2 hours each way, although I also work from home sometimes. I find that I procrastinate more when I finally have time to do what I want to do than when something needs to be done. Does that mean I tend to procrastinate or not? discuss.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do what needs to be done (by) when it needs to be done.

Any solution I implement in the present is the manifestation of an idea that caused me to procrastinate doing something else in the past. Therefore, I am at peace with any tendencies I have with regard to procrastination. :wink:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
everyone does it. Could be self-doubt, could be because the task is completely uninteresting/foreign to you. Could be control issues...

I do it a lot. I'm a very bad procrastinator, being a perceiver just adds to it.

G

Ginkgo

I always procrastinate when I am by myself for some reason. I become an aimless cannon.

However, if you place me in a structured environment, I am timely. I basically just need someone there to tell me what to do. If I actually went out and bought a pocket planner, I'm sure I would be much more productive.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
However, I have a few ESXJ friends who procrastinate for various reasons. Therefore, I wonder why they procrastinate, and why other types procrastinate.

I think it's because I need to spend a lot of time with other people, which can sometimes be an interference. However, I do what I can to be able to fulfill all of my duties.

Sometimes I feel that I'm a procrastinator, but then when I take a look at my ESTP roommate, I realize that I probably only feel that way because of what strict expectations I have of myself.

And I can relate to what you said about being alone. It can be depressing sometimes to the degree where I just don't feel like doing anything at all.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always procrastinate when I am by myself for some reason. I become an aimless cannon.

However, if you place me in a structured environment, I am timely. I basically just need someone there to tell me what to do. If I actually went out and bought a pocket planner, I'm sure I would be much more productive.

same here. It's like when I was in my portfolio art class senior year in high school. Always drawing, painting, etc. Now it is rare for me to do those things on my own now that I no longer have that atmosphere. I find a lot of the 'me' time goes to the shitter as I burn it all on internet time. But I can't seem to gear up to do anything else when I'm alone.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't procrastinate when it comes to paying taxes, preparing dinner, trimming toe nails. I work a lot, commuting about 1 1/2 hours each way, although I also work from home sometimes. I find that I procrastinate more when I finally have time to do what I want to do than when something needs to be done. Does that mean I tend to procrastinate or not? discuss.

same here. It's like when I was in my portfolio art class senior year in high school. Always drawing, painting, etc. Now it is rare for me to do those things on my own now that I no longer have that atmosphere. I find a lot of the 'me' time goes to the shitter as I burn it all on internet time. But I can't seem to gear up to do anything else when I'm alone.

+1

Yeah, that's me, too. I can be very organized with things other people are counting on me for, but I tend to procrastinate about things that require me to be self-motivated. My mother actually mocked this tendency in me and said I went like this (which is true):

Scenario 1
------------

Teacher: I don't actually care if you turn in the work or study. It's up to you. All that really matters is that you pass the test. And if you don't, hey, it's your money.

Me: <thinking to self> Well, if they don't care, I guess I don't care.

Me: <procrastinates, can't get anything done until the last minute, does half the work, fails class>

Scenario 2
-----------

Teacher: Homework is due every week, and is an important part of your grade. I'll be checking to see if you have it and how prepared you are at different times every week, so don't forget. I'll also have you check each others work from time to time. It's important to me that you apply yourself to this and do well, because this class is worth the effort, so if you don't care about this class enough to apply yourself, leave now.

Me: <thinks to self> I don't want to let the teacher down, or look sloppy in front of the class.

Me: <gets right on the ball, stays ahead of where the class is, puts extra effort into work to impress class and teacher, passes with flying colors>

My mother complained that my success in Scenario 2 over Scenario 1 makes me a child, and isn't fitting behavior for an adult, though. :(

She says it's because I'm not self-disciplined or self-motivated.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I am a P and I procrastinate because I have a very hard time motivating myself to do things that I don't want to do (I think the technical term for this is "laziness.") If I don't want to do something, I will resist doing it whether I am in a structured or unstructured environment. If I do want to do something, however, I work best in an unstructured environment. If too much external structure is placed on something I want to do, it takes away from my motivation to do it (e.g., read X pages by Y date, write an essay about a passage within those pages, and give a 10 minute presentation. Then do again with the next few chapters.) I like it when I'm given bigger goals with a bigger time frame in which to complete them.

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like to tell myself I "work better under pressure"

P

Phantonym

I'm a J and I procrastinate. Big time. J is for Jocrastination, a special subtype of procrastination where you actually get things done a bit sooner than the "real" procrastinators.

I do it when I feel that I'm pressured to do something. I hate, hate, HATE outside pressure, expectations. Usually school related projects and assignments. There really isn't free will involved in the latter because you're supposed to do them in order to obtain the credit points and to graduate. It never stops.

But if I give my word and other people are involved, I'm obligated to fulfill the promises, I will do them and get things done on time even if I hate it.

However, it comes in waves. I can be very self-motivated for quite lenghty periods of time and then it all blows up and goes down the drain for a long time. And then the cycle repeats itself again.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
When you attend to the relevant, the neighbours say you procrastinate.
What counts in your life does not manifest in the eye of your neighbour.

You can be worthy in the eyes of another.
Or you can be worthy in your own eyes.

If the weeds do not grow outside of the house they grow inside of the house.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Where is that procrastinator valve!

This is an attitude that with focus will refine but is used as a coping strategy to delay the inevitable in the hopes it'll get done eventually but doing so sooner will lead to its own rewards and doing it later will lead to delays, its like Jet Lag.

Its also stress release to think of better ways of doing whatever it is your putting off or at least I'm hopeful. :D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is work. This work is uninteresting and I think it will not help me in the future. I also suffer when I do this work. I don't want to suffer. I will not do it or I will do it at the last second.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^ Oh yeah that too, finding material or content that is irrelevant to wanting to learn will create dissatisfaction and tend to switch off and focus on other things as its boring and procrastination shall ensue.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Heh. I'm supposed to have been working 3 minutes ago. I guess I'll start now.....:unsure:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When you attend to the relevant, the neighbours say you procrastinate.
What counts in your life does not manifest in the eye of your neighbour.

You can be worthy in the eyes of another.
Or you can be worthy in your own eyes.

If the weeds do not grow outside of the house they grow inside of the house.

This is sooooooooooooooooo P