• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ-independent component of N

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So we know that person's score in the S-N spectrum predicts their IQ to some extent. This is bad in the way that information from the two measures is not maximized this way.

I had the thought: what if I would substract the amount of N in my N score that is explained by my IQ, which is 2.2-2.7 std dev higher than average? I would have to substract the correct amount, which I could find from seeing how the two scores are related. Any data anywhere?

This would tell my S-N preference score in OTHER ways than by ways of IQ. Perhaps I would be revealed to really be S. For one thing, I absolutely abhor the idea that I would entertain some theory so much as to mistake it for something real, if it isn't. I've really found that I want to do and notice things with reality, and I just notice that many theories have the connection to reality that some people don't notice.

With IQ factor taken away, some borderline S-N 100 IQ people would be re-interpreted to be Ns by preference.

How useful a concept would you think it is?

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
eeeeehhhhhhhh. I really don't believe an any validity of IQ in the first place

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think that should quite be true! I'm a VERY strong S and am of above average IQ! :cry:

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
But you don't need a number to validate yourself, and nobody should have a number like that used to discount them.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't think that should quite be true! I'm a VERY strong S and am of above average IQ! :cry:

That wouldn't be unusual ( http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/52087-post19.html ).

I can't believe I missed this thread the first time around.

The current thought is that low-IQ people are either absent of N (ie: low N defines low-IQ) or that low-IQ compensate by using more S (ie: g requires intuition to make leaps beyond our ability to deal with the concrete, which if you lack the ability to process, you hone your ability to deal with the concrete). It may even be possible that the IQ portion (g) might not be run by the same part of the mind - that is, you may not be limited to being "concrete" and "imaginative" - the preference might be there but the ability to perform might not be linked. It is possible that a S could be better at being an N (in terms of performance, not preference) and vice versa.

Because there is likely a causation issue here, the only way to deal with the problem that I can think of is either an artifical adjustment (I believe there is insufficient data due to binary choices - strength is poorly measured by multiple binary choices) or a change in the nature of testing for S:N to start with.

Not that it is impossible to adjust the scores based upon IQ, only that it would invalidate the nature of what is being tested (a pure numbers game - what would it represent?), so I don't think there would be that much value in doing so.

(This based upon the concept that ~+1 sd is ~1:1 S:N, so one would have to reject the functional view of MBTI and add strength values, probably also changing the binary choices to full strength measurements, recreating the MBTI test.)