• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is best for a career in Investment Banking?

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Sort of a peculiar question, but I need to know.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'd love to give it a go. Although i know i wouldn't be able to handle the pressure.

In the banking environment, you forget your handling peoples money instead you just see numbers. You hold a cheque for £18,000.000 and it doesn't register that that money will soon be leaving someones account. You move large amounts of money around internal accounts and again, just figures.

You get on with the job.

Didn't really answer your question there. :blush:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably an ISTJ or an ESTJ.

Frank

^ seconded. In fact the most sucessful investment banker i ever knew was borderline on the I/E stj

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I personally shied away from a career path in investment banking because it called on a certain forecasting abiity, which is very N. That's not an ISTJ job at all. An ESTP could handle it through their people swaying skills but the job requires too much seeing into the future for an ISTJ to handle it properly.

I'd say an NT at least. I'm leaning toward INTJ.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
INTP, ENTJ. iBanking is not a good field for sensors, you strongly need a grip on the connection between past and future events, the potential for an investment, etc.

ISTJ or ESTJ can handle the administrative aspect, and/or they can be good real estate investors, but I can't see them as the typical big-picture director in this particular field.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTJ all the way

know ENTPs and ESTPs who've also done OK, ENTPs for business sense and competitive analysis skills, ESTPs for negotiating deals, INTJs could also probably hack it where they are part of a larger company

other 12 types can be a terrible fit, have an ESTJ friend who went to top b-school, and really had a hard time with it, hated having to give opinions on a company's future

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I personally shied away from a career path in investment banking because it called on a certain forecasting abiity, which is very N. That's not an ISTJ job at all. An ESTP could handle it through their people swaying skills but the job requires too much seeing into the future for an ISTJ to handle it properly.

I'd say an NT at least. I'm leaning toward INTJ.

Bingo. Definitely not STJ. I personally agree with INTJ.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
STJ can crank through analysis framework to predict the future. I guess that's not enough through.