• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Order dictating function behaviour (just so I understand...)

VagrantFarce

As an extension of this thread...

Primary: "I have a need to..."
Secondary: "It helps me to..."
Tertiary: "I find it easy to succumb to..."
Inferior: "I find it taxing to..."

Introverted Thinking
Primary (ITP): "...have things ordered in my head, for situations to really make sense before I can move forward."
Secondary (ETP): "...think things through logically, so I can figure out the best possible outcome from my actions."
Tertiary (IFJ): "...an emotional detachment that starts to assign people to some silly inner framework of how I think things should be."
Inferior (EFJ): "...be so emotionally detached and distant from my family and friends. Cold, calculated logic too easily ignores the relationships that people have."

Extraverted Thinking
Primary (ETJ): "...get things done, to accumulate achievement that's objectively measurable. I can only commit to something if there is a measurable outcome."
Secondary (ITJ): "...look at the world through a rational lens, to consider myself "part of the machine" in a way."
Tertiary: (EFP): "...material shortcomings, to show off how spectacular I am. I tend to be a bit of a show off as a result."
Inferior: (IFP): "...work towards impersonal outcomes. I feel the world too much to set an impersonal agenda like that, it wouldn't be right."

Introverted Feeling
Primary (IFP): "...know, understand and acknowledge a person's feelings, regardless of their character or social status."
Secondary (EFP): "...tune in to how people feel, which helps me do good through my actions."
Tertiary: (ITJ): "...my own irrational feelings about a situation, which prevents me from really contributing to the system in general."
Inferior: (ETJ): "...consider another person's feelings, or even my own; it often gets in the way and stops me from getting things done."

Extraverted Feeling
Primary (EFJ): "...ingratiate myself towards other people, to be their for when they need help, and for them to be their for when I need help."
Secondary (IFJ): "...find a place amongst other people, so that I can really be a part of soemthing."
Tertiary (ETP): "...shallow agreeableness or pretension, just to show off and cover up for my more obvious shortcomings."
Inferior (ITP): "...to really join in with other people on that high an emotional level. I find it hard to act without some sort of grounded, logical framework protecting me."

Introverted Intuition
Primary (INJ): "...consider the truly abstract, to find an outlook on life that is profoundly unobvious."
Secondary (ENJ): "...consider the possibilities, or to locate a mental signpost that helps guide my actions through life."
Tertiary (ISP): "...know-it-all abstract thinking, as if I could predict or control what will happen in the future."
Inferior (ESP): "....really think in an abstract way, or consider how things could be. How am I supposed to rely on that sort of thing?"

Extraverted Intuition
Primary (ENP): "...follow tangents for their own sake, or link things together unexpectedly through context."
Secondary (INP): "...really think creatively, so that I can step outside of my own skin and participate."
Teritary (ESJ): "...doing bizaare and unexpected things, to show off or prove my dominance."
Inferior (ISJ): "...step outside of my own, ordered world in such an unsafe way. How am I supposed to know where it will lead?"

Introverted Sensation
Primary (ISJ): "...ground myself in what I know in my gut is reliable and trustworthy."
Secondary (ESJ): "...focus on tradition, so keep things truly stable and secure."
Tertiary (INP): "...a need for safety and security, to stop myself from jumping into the unknown too quickly."
Inferior (ENP): "...keep still, to focus on what has already happened or my own first-hand experience of the world."

Extraverted Sensation
Primary (ESP): "...engage life fully at every moment, to react instinctually in a way that is noticable to myself and others."
Secondary (ISP): "...submit to my animalistic instincts, so that I can find a way to participate in life."
Tertiary (ENJ): "...animalistic intimidation, usually done to show off or just get my way."
Inferior (INJ): "...engage life so physically. It's too brutal and sensate, too obvious and uninteresting."

(does any of this make sense? :) )

redacted

I kinda disagree with this whole line of reasoning. I think function "roles" like this are pretty bad descriptive tools, since they apply only to people that are stereotypes of their type.

VagrantFarce

I kinda disagree with this whole line of reasoning. I think function "roles" like this are pretty bad descriptive tools, since they apply only to people that are stereotypes of their type.

We're dealing with a system that lumps 6 billion people into 16 type variations. If I want to understand how this system works, how do I avoid generalisation? :)

Jaguar

Get out of my head, Evan.
Needless to say, I agree.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Primary: "I have a need to..."

Evaluate things (Fi)

Secondary: "It helps me to..."

Experience things firsthand (Se)

Tertiary: "I find it easy to succumb to..."

Paranoid delusions (Ni)

Inferior: "I find it taxing to..."

Judge people or things objectively(Te)

Hmmm maybe.

B

brainheart

This helped me figure out my husband, finally- something I've been trying to do for months. And it works for me as well. You get my endorsement.

One thing I would add in regards to primary Fi: "know, understand and acknowledge a person's feelings (including my own)..." Not sure how to word that precisely, but I think for a lot of IFPs the primary goal is understanding ourselves and acknowledging our own feelings, and then we use that understanding of our own feelings to make sense of other's feelings as well.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It should help to realize that the "roles" are not really of the functions, but rather of complexes within the ego.
So it is hypothetically possible for a person to be manifesting the complex less than others, if he is not fitting into that "stereotype" image.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This helped me figure out my husband, finally- something I've been trying to do for months. And it works for me as well. You get my endorsement.

One thing I would add in regards to primary Fi: "know, understand and acknowledge a person's feelings (including my own)..." Not sure how to word that precisely, but I think for a lot of IFPs the primary goal is understanding ourselves and acknowledging our own feelings, and then we use that understanding of our own feelings to make sense of other's feelings as well.

Primary Ti doesnt match up with Primary Fi in the OP. I like what you wrote, but more with thought in regards to Ti.

This lines up with what you think of primary Fi
Primary Ti - understanding ourselves and acknowledging our own thoughts, and then we use that understanding of our own thoughts to make sense of other's thoughts as well.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:yes:

Fi works to understand itself and evaluate according to it's own feelings. Understanding and caring about other people's feelings is sort of a byproduct of that, which can make Fi-doms seem inconsistent towards other people/things.

G

Ginkgo

Hmm.. Yeah, I can identify with most of these. Not too helpful, really.

B

brainheart

Primary Ti doesnt match up with Primary Fi in the OP. I like what you wrote, but more with thought in regards to Ti.

This lines up with what you think of primary Fi

Huh? Fi is a judging function, just like Ti, so they are both used to understand and know and place an order of sorts. Fi is used in a values, emotional, feeling way. Ti is used in a principles, rational, analytical way.

Something tells me I'm not following your point. Was your point directed toward me or the OP. I'm confused...

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice... I like! :D

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Primary and secondary functions on your list align with my type. Tertiary doesn't. Inferior kind of fits.