• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unhealthy Introverted Perceivers mistyping as Judgers?

VagrantFarce

I think it seems that unhealthy introverted perceivers (i.e. those who fall back on their tertiary function too much) could easily mistype themselves as introverted judgers. Js are described as people who make decisions easily and can be stubborn toward the opinions of others, and an unhealthy P is exactly this; one who falls back on introverted perceiving to convince themselves that they don't have to consider and participate in the outer world.

An unhealthy IP could easily have conditioned themselves to take a cocooned stance with the world if they feel it isn't worth participating in (for whatever reason), which can result in behaviour that can easily lead to this sort of mistyping. I suspect this is the reason that I found it hard to decide my type at first because I have conditioned myself to be very suspect of others and their dealings toward me.

I'm not sure if this happens the other way around, either; an IJ is likely to be very decisive regardless of their outlook, its just a case of what they decide to do with their perceptions. e.g. healthy INTJs tend to preach "taking responsibility and doing you part in the community rationally" (auxillary Te) since they know that funneling Ni into their tertiary function (Fi) can lead to selfish and potentially disastrous results. This sort of lesson is often learnt from first-hand experience.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've often read posts from other members and wondered if this has happened to them without them knowing about it.

G

Glycerine

But wouldn't the tertiary be a perceiving function also?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Our shadow is opposite J/P so what you said should fit every type I would think.

VagrantFarce

But wouldn't the tertiary be a perceiving function also?

Introverted and extraverted perceiving reveal themselves differently; one is associated with quick decisiveness and a feeling of near-absolute certainty, whereas the other is open-ended and absolutely indecisive. So an IP falling back on an introverted perceiving function will come off as stubborn and unwilling to open up to an extraverted perceiving viewpoint, which are traits commonly associated with judgers.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
IXXP:
Ji - Pe - Pi - Je

IXXJ:
Pi - Je - Ji - Pe

The point Vagrant is trying to make is that it is easier for one IP to sink into a Ji-Pi dominant mode of thinking than it is for one IJ to sink into a Pi-Ji mode. Furthermore, an unhealthy IP, (as defined as being in a Ji-Pi mode of thinking) would fall back on the "stubbornness" of Pi. This stubornness would give them one of the more "negative" traits of an IJ (a type leading with Pi) but without the Je to balance them out. Given that negative traits can be more apparent when typing people, the unhealthy use of Pi could result in an unhealthy IP being typed as a J.

sunshinebrighter

MBTI Type
IXFP
Interesting theory.

One of the traits of P is acting on impulsive and one of J is making quick decisions and sticking to it.

I can definitely see people mixing those characteristics up.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
P and J manifest a little backwards in introverts.

INFP for example. Fi is the dominant process and a judging process. IPs are dominant judges, but perceiving externally which is what is seen. IJs are dominant perceivers so their structured outside isn't a good representation of their dominant perceiving internals.

Dunno, might have misunderstood OP...

krunchtime

I was looking for some threads on Tertiary function and found this. It's quite interesting, but my understanding is slightly skewed, as I adopt a broad definition. I think unhealthy IPs can lend itself towards J-ish tendencies, but differences from a normal, functioning J will be extremely obvious. Take for example INTP. Te or Fe results in a J, so INTP acting on either Te or Fe could display J-ish tendencies. But my definition of Te and Fe is much looser - namely, logical thinking and feeling, concerned with objects other than the Self - rather than rational participation in community or maintaining social values, which are precise definitions. I like that part about effects of channeling your dominant into tertiary function.