• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inferior Projection

Chloe

this is my favorite thread in whole typologycentral, ever!

makes me interested again in mbti, after i lost interest.

great job

esfpmary

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Off the cuff... I am more likely to think that people are easily manipulated and shallow. As an example, every now and then, I hear on the news about people who have lost their savings to some con artist who offered them great wealth in exchange for their bank PIN number. And they believed it, despite all of the warnings never to share that number with anyone, least of all a total stranger. Or I'll hear about someone who is mad because some stranger came to their house and offered to do some repairs after, of course, getting paid. The victim paid and no repairs were done. And, when the victim called the stranger's business, the phone was disconnected. OK. I understand that some crooks are very persuasive but still... it seems that people are too easily manipulated and separated from their money

My ESTJ friend spoke exactly those words. Except he thought these people were stupid instead of shallow who are easy to manipulate.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
"I don't have to persue my inferior function, look at what it does to the world..."

INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."
When I was younger I was really shocked at what I perceived to be a kind of a metaphysical and intellectual superficiality. Yep... :shocking: It seemed like people were just happy with immediate sensory gratification. No :sartre:, or Buddha, or reading fascinating encyclopedias... just shopping for mascara and shoes and hanging out at the mall.:blink:
Then I grabbed the bull by the horn and decided to dive in and see what it's about :sherlock:.
And I'm much more Se intuned now :bunnyglee:
...Well that's a little much... I guess you can't take the Ni completely out of the girl...maybe more like :voodoo:
But yeah...much more ok with Se now. It does still cause confusion sometimes, but much much less.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"

LOL, I still sort of think something like this but only with certain people :tongue: This does seem very Ti dom though.

ENP (si) "...people are too willing to take the accepted route, unable to see the possibilities available to them. I can see the possibilities, and I'm not afraid to take advantage."

Yes, this one seems pretty close. Sometimes it is more like "People are too trapped by the most ridiculous self-imposed limitations, and stubbornly repulsed by the mere hint of an alternative. I can see the bigger context here, I'll never allow myself to become so confined."

The original one was pretty good too, but just not to be taken too literally. "Immobility" and "sitting in one place" can take on very different interpretations depending on Ne/Se.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
This is very good stuff!

I think of Si in a different way. To me it's more like "People way too caught up on details. They need to see past the surface and try to understand what's really going on".

Nales

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds about right, but like others it leaves me wondering why I agree with both ITP and IFP and disagree with both ETJ and EFJ. Perhaps because I find ETJs too dominant and EFJs too submissive (or more accurately, so much centered on the others' needs that they forget to get their own opinions and their own lines of thinking) , whereas the IP functions look for independance and (?) equality.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the ENP one lines up well with what I have seen, and it makes me laugh a little.

I think the ISJ inferior projection looks more like "All these crazy people jumping from thing to thing, I'm the only person who stops and thinks."

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."

Don't relate much to this

ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"

Yes, I can sort of identify with this.

IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."

I identify with this even more than the ITP one.

ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"

I really relate to this one.

EFJ (ti): "...cold, hard logic doesn't go anywhere toward helping people. where would we be without each other? why risk breaking that neccessary bond?

Strange. I can relate to this one and its supposedly my inferior function.

ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."

This one isn't too much like me. I'm not afraid to take charge but I refuse to step on someone's toes just to get things done.

ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"

Yes, I can relate to this.

ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"

No, I don't relate much to this mindset.

Hmmm, I think of all those I fit the ISJ and IFP ones the most. I also relate moderately to ENP, EFJ, and ITP. I relate least to ETJ, INJ, and ESP.

G

garbage

Yes, this one seems pretty close. Sometimes it is more like "People are too trapped by the most ridiculous self-imposed limitations, and stubbornly repulsed by the mere hint of an alternative. I can see the bigger context here, I'll never allow myself to become so confined."

Same. Something along the lines of, "People seem to do things (adhere to structures and traditions) without knowing why they do so or what they mean--taking them for granted is a very dangerous thing to do."

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Same. Something along the lines of, "People seem to do things (adhere to structures and traditions) without knowing why they do so or what they mean--taking them for granted is a very dangerous thing to do."

Oh fuck yes. This is something that annoys me to no end, especially when it's done by someone I care about. I've had big arguments with loved ones over this.

BTW, here's a random question for Ni doms: do you think you enjoy physical pleasures less than most people? This can be food, sex, sports... anything of the sort.

spiderfrommars

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"I don't have to persue my inferior function, look at what it does to the world..."
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."

I've just had my first typology-related "How did they read my mind?!?" moment! When I was a child, I would get so infuriated by teachers calling on kids who wouldn't raise their hands, or adults/media giving us advice to approach and talk to shy people. Couldn't they see that those people didn't want to talk?

I've grown a sense of empathy, but this is still my gut response to a lot of things. Especially the "afraid of stepping on toes" thing. I would rather not hurt anyone's feelings, but I think directness is the best method– indirectness often hurts peoples' feelings more in the long run.

VagrantFarce

Can't believe I made this thread 3 years ago. Can't even remember what I was doing back then XD

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."

this was SO me at approximately 15-19 years old. (also add: "so unspiritual and concerned with that which is not going to matter in the grand scheme of things").

these days i think i'm more frustrated with: those who do "what everyone else does" without reflecting on the possible consequences, and without thinking first whether it is right/sensible/useful/suits them as a person; those who confuse being emotional with being illogical; those who use their emotions to destroy relationships and to make their own existence far worse and more complicated than they would have been otherwise (rather than using them to enjoy life, to be creative and to become closer to other people). similar, i guess, but not quite the same.