• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inferior Projection

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
"I don't have to persue my inferior function, look at what it does to the world..."
ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"
Almost true... I would formulate it like this:

"What is the use of outdated knowledge? Circumstances change, it's better to find a new solution for each new problem."

I tried to formulate it in a negative way, but I'm actually quite okay with Si. Last year, I've learnt that the more knowledge you have (about facts and details, so real Si knowledge), the better you become at solving problems. So memorizing is useful after all... Even if you don't refer to your experience at first try, you probably use it when finding the new solution.

This post is actually an example of that. I'm using some knowledge I learnt in a didactics course... and in a different context.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I don't have to persue my inferior function, look at what it does to the world..."

INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."
ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"

IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."
ISJ (ne): "...such chaos and nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of things. Do people really want things to fall apart?"

EFJ (ti): "...cold, hard logic doesn't go anywhere toward helping people. where would we be without each other? why risk breaking that neccessary bond?"
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."

ENP (si) "...immobility never lasts, the earth never sits still. If you just sit in one place, how could you possibly go anywhere?"

ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"
Good work! I can relate to all of the statements which identify weaker areas for me: Fe, Se, Si, Ni and Fi to some extent.
(I am Ti, Ne, Te, Fi, Ni).

(yes, I know I hold contradictory views)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
ITP (fe): "...people are so easily manipulated and shallow. I can see how things really work, I couldn't possibly play along. Isn't anyone able to think for themselves?"

This is easily and by far the thought I'm most likely to have every day (of the options given).

Funny that - yesterday ESTP was suggested as a 3rd option on the cognitive functions test (so wrong!) and now my second choice is:

ESP (ni) "...trying to repress your own instincts only serves to heighten them. why are people so frightened of what's right in front of their nose?"

but the first sentence more than the second. Not right in front of your nose but rather what is right under your skin.

VagrantFarce

INJ (se): "...such a brutal, sensate landscape. why do people settle for animalistic immediacy? I'm not an animal, that's for sure. I'll conceive my own reality, on my own terms."
IFP (te): "...individuals are so divided and discouraged, for such horrid impersonal reasons. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."
ISJ (ne): "...such unneccessary nonsense, it would all self-destruct if it wasn't for those of us keeping check of what's important. Do people really want things to fall apart?"

EFJ (ti): "...such uncaring people, unable to care for the needs of others. We're defined by the relationships we share, and to think otherwise is to be selfish and unhelpful!"
ETJ (fi) "...people are so unwilling to take charge, too afraid of stepping on someone else's toes just to get something done. I get things done, I have the balls to see how life really works."
ENP (si) "...people are too willing to take the accepted route, unable to see the possibilities available to them. I can see the possibilities, and I'm not afraid to take advantage."
ESP (ni) "...people are too afraid to trust their instincts, too afraid of losing control of what doesn't exist and just enjoying the moment."

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Hmm, I suppose I like your ENP one, although you seemed to use "motion" as a sort of motif, which I can't relate to because like many ENTPs (i think?) i'm extremely LAZY.
in fact sometimes I think I like being familiar with a place, it lets you get comfortable and explore something more in-depth... Uh oh... is this Ni? AM I GOING ENTJ AGAIN? AAAAH

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Almost true... I would formulate it like this:

"What is the use of outdated knowledge? Circumstances change, it's better to find a new solution for each new problem."

I tried to formulate it in a negative way, but I'm actually quite okay with Si. Last year, I've learnt that the more knowledge you have (about facts and details, so real Si knowledge), the better you become at solving problems. So memorizing is useful after all... Even if you don't refer to your experience at first try, you probably use it when finding the new solution.

This post is actually an example of that. I'm using some knowledge I learnt in a didactics course... and in a different context.

I like this.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp

A-ha, according to this, I would be an INFP. I really hate things like war, which are all about impersonal efficiency. :( It feels like people sometimes try to ruin everything that's beautiful and justify it by "rationality"-- like the bad people in "Avatar".

Although now that I think of it, I can also relate to the INJ thing. When I was younger, I was frustrated with and disappointed in how people were so mundane and vulgar... laughing at such stupid things, behaving as if they didn't take things like poetry and ideology seriously. :( Can't people just slow down and be silent for a while and respect things that belong in a higher reality?

(Except that I am an animal. Animals are cute and cuddly, and they're in touch with the nature. <3 Immediate connection to the nature is good, it's just that most people ruin it by being... so... "efficient" and "rational". :( )

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Or to relate it to my work environment.

"You're treating the staff like they are just tools or machines. Of course they will be demotivated and discouraged. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."

As you can see from my sig, my Te is way, way at the end of the process :p

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting thread.

I think your description of Se reasonably describes how I may have felt when I was younger.

However, I think I'm getting hung up on the word "projection" and in what context it is being used.

As a practical example, it doesn't happen often, but when I see someone who is obsessively focused on what I perceive to be meaningless facts and details, I over-react to that person. I can judge them more harshly, become frustrated, overly-critical, and perhaps abrasive. It stresses me out. They hit my buttons. The way my brother impacts me is a perfect example of this. So, I'm responding to behaviors in someone else who is acting in a way that I do when I am at my absolute worst. The response is inappropriate to the stimuli. I generally think of Naomi Quenk's book, "Beside Ourselves", look at the eruptions of the inferior and see the projections through that lens.

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram

I agree with these three...despite the fact that having an inferior fe and te is kinda contradictory...

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hmm, interesting that the only one other than ITP I agree with is ETJ.

VagrantFarce

I agree with these three...despite the fact that having an inferior fe and te is kinda contradictory...

Are you inclined to actually think any of those in day to day life, though? It's possible to agree with all of them if you perform enough mental backflips. :)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Interesting thread. To be honest I don't remember consciously having thought any of those things. They would be more like very negative "feelings", which rationally I would reject.

I think part of the contradiction here is that a "philosophical orientation" is consciously set by a person and takes into account all kinds of things like our life experiences, our loyalties and our "ideology", whereas MBTI deals with ways of processing and communicating information.

For example maybe once, when I was young and immature I would have felt/thought the "INXJ", the "IXTP" and the "IXFP" phrases, but now I am a historical materialist, I no logner think any of those things because I understand
1.) The primacy of the material over the subjective, (negates the INXJ one)
2.)Why people buy into bourgeois ideology and that this can't "simply" be overcome through rational persuasion, but also depends on objective circumstances, (negates the IXTP one), and
3.)Why people are objectively divided by systems, and this can't be overcome just by "understanding", (negates the IXFP one).

I still maintain that this approach is more "enneagram" style than MBTI style (which is not a bad thing, it's just that ennegram seems to me a more effective tool for this kind of analysis than MBTI).

In short though, yes, I guess I am jumping into the thread and giving a "Marxist critique"...No apologies for that either.:tongue:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram

I can see myself going in either direction, unsure of which (fe or te) is my inferior function. I do see people as being easily manipulated and shallow at times. And, yes, I refuse to play along with the nonsense.
As for individuals being divided and discouraged for horrid impersonal reasons. Yes, I see that, too.
People are easily manipulated and divided for horrid impersonal reasons...
Hmmm...

VagrantFarce

I can see myself going in either direction, unsure of which (fe or te) is my inferior function. I do see people as being easily manipulated and shallow at times. And, yes, I refuse to play along with the nonsense.
As for individuals being divided and discouraged for horrid impersonal reasons. Yes, I see that, too.
Hmmm...

Which are you more likely to think off-the-cuff, though? Consider situations you've been in when you were feeling particularly "insular". ;)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Or to relate it to my work environment.

"You're treating the staff like they are just tools or machines. Of course they will be demotivated and discouraged. I pay attention to how people feel, and that's more important than anything."

As you can see from my sig, my Te is way, way at the end of the process :p

Now that's definitely inferior Te. Underdeveloped nonsense. Why would someone continue doing something that's ineffective? I'd assume the ESTJs have their Ne to show them a new possibility that doesn't seem so pointless.

Management is necessary to get thing done. The world requires order to be productive, but there's a time and place for it. Perhaps that's the IxTJ view of extraverted thinking? I've come to learn that sometimes you have to throw Te to the wind and go with what might work rather than a pre-established plan. It's like a monkey swinging from tree to tree. You can envision which tree to go to next as it comes up, but you can't plan which trees to go to.

Ne to me is more like, "Why do people have to keep jumping into the mess without thinking first? Order is more likely to reach our goal rather than muddling through chaos."

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
earlier post: I can see myself going in either direction, unsure of which (fe or te) is my inferior function. I do see people as being easily manipulated and shallow at times. And, yes, I refuse to play along with the nonsense.

Off the cuff... I am more likely to think that people are easily manipulated and shallow. As an example, every now and then, I hear on the news about people who have lost their savings to some con artist who offered them great wealth in exchange for their bank PIN number. And they believed it, despite all of the warnings never to share that number with anyone, least of all a total stranger. Or I'll hear about someone who is mad because some stranger came to their house and offered to do some repairs after, of course, getting paid. The victim paid and no repairs were done. And, when the victim called the stranger's business, the phone was disconnected. OK. I understand that some crooks are very persuasive but still... it seems that people are too easily manipulated and separated from their money.

Hmmm...
Which are you more likely to think off-the-cuff, though? Consider situations you've been in when you were feeling particularly "insular". ;)