• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types most likely to fall for conspiracy theories

Jaguar

You guys beat me to the punch. I was going to say INTX, because that is what INTJ123 says he is. And I dare you to find a more wacky or nutty conspiracy theorist on TYPOc!!

He needs to start another wacky thread.
I miss photo-bombing him. :D

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
INTPs - several I've know are BIG on conspiracy theories. They just love that stuff. They see it as being skeptical and somehow above the masses.

Yes, I second that INTPs are the biggest conspiracy theorists. My INTP friend is often hyperanalytical and will read between the lines and see connections between seemingly random / mundane events. (Most recently, she was convinced that her coworkers were conspiring to try to push her out of the company she worked for.) There's usually a grain of truth to her inferences. (She was laid off in the midst of big budget cuts when the economy tanked; they hadn't been pushing her out per se but some of her superiors knew her position was probably going to get axed and began feeling uncomfortable/awkward around her.)

Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm is a classic INTP if there ever was one, and he is often obsessing over kooky conspiracy theories!

INFJs definitely have a streak of conspiracy theorizing as well. But I think we often keep it to ourselves, exploring the possibilities in our mind but rarely out loud. It's probably an introverted Ne/Ni thing.

I feel like I haven't really known any SJ conspiracy theorists. I don't picture SJs being hypersensitive to unspoken messages / ulterior motives like INFJs and INTPs are. Maybe someone could elaborate or provide an example?

Usehername

On a mission
Ou! Me!

Or so it looks on the outside when I ask all the questions about the theory. In truth, I just like how wondering "what if?" does this to my brain.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pXo6_BT3hk"]Dominoes[/YOUTUBE]

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
You don't have to hide it. I know what you're all trying to say.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I second that INTPs are the biggest conspiracy theorists. My INTP friend is often hyperanalytical and will read between the lines and see connections between seemingly random / mundane events. (Most recently, she was convinced that her coworkers were conspiring to try to push her out of the company she worked for.) There's usually a grain of truth to her inferences. (She was laid off in the midst of big budget cuts when the economy tanked; they hadn't been pushing her out per se but some of her superiors knew her position was probably going to get axed and began feeling uncomfortable/awkward around her.)

Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm is a classic INTP if there ever was one, and he is often obsessing over kooky conspiracy theories!

INFJs definitely have a streak of conspiracy theorizing as well. But I think we often keep it to ourselves, exploring the possibilities in our mind but rarely out loud. It's probably an introverted Ne/Ni thing.
I would think for the INFJ, it would be more in their normal "ego/heroic" mode, and I can testify, for INTP's, it's the Senex complex (Cranky old man or critical parent; indicating it is usually under stress).
I feel like I haven't really known any SJ conspiracy theorists. I don't picture SJs being hypersensitive to unspoken messages / ulterior motives like INFJs and INTPs are. Maybe someone could elaborate or provide an example?
SJ's normally think conspiracy theories are crazy, and it really gets on their nerves. They would have to be REALLY under stress to engage in them.

B

brainheart

It depends on the political climate. Right now, because Democrats are in power, conspiracy theories are big with right-wingers, and by extension, SJs. There's the Birthers, the Deathers, FEMA death camps, tea baggin' etc. And when Bush and the Republican majority was in power, we had the 9/11 truthers, which was made up of liberals and libertarians. Libertarians go for conspiracy theories no matter who is in power.

Yes, this is my dad (ISTJ). It would make sense to me that an inferior Ne would put together connections that don't exist, and then with Ni at the very bottom, it would act in an incredibly immature way. Then there's the fear of doing things in a 'new' way. He believes whatever Michael Savage tells him.

The reason I ask (about who is most likely to get into the c.t.s) is because I don't get into it at all. Would that be because dominant Fi makes me less likely to fall for others' theories? Or is this not related to personality type?

However, I know someone on the other end of the political spectrum from my father who got all freaked out about Obama speaking to school children. She complained to our principal and started babbling about The Third Reich. I could see her potentially being either an ENFP or an INFJ, because she's all about the newest, latest idea or thing that she feels she 'must do'- she doesn't seem to me an SJ at all.

So if she was an INFJ, would it be because her Ne is weak? It just seems to me that anyone with developed Ne would understand what possibilities fit together and what don't, not to mention you want reliable sources to feed your Ne, if that makes sense.

But then other people on here are saying differently. So what cognitive function triggers it?
:huh:

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
you know I got an ISTJ to agree with me on a "conspiracy theory" before, it's actually not a "conspiracy" though it's just plain fact. The statue on the capital building which is supposed to be of virgin mary is actually a statue of Persephone goddess of the underworld. He just didn't say anything at first (he was thinking I was crazy) then the next time I saw him first thing he told me was that he checked and yes, I was right, it's just a fact.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I know an ESTP that conjures up the most bizarre conspiracy theories.

redacted

It seems to me that, on average, NFs have more control and practice with their intuition than S types. This is obviously not always the case.

But within my observation group, which probably isn't a statistically significant sample, I've found SFPs to be the most likely to believe in that sort of stuff.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Doesn't that stupid Lenore Thompson exegesis that's floating around talk about inferior Ni (of ISxPs) as leading to paranoid beliefs about the control of "the man?"

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I see a lot of people here accusing INFJs of this.
But I hate conspiracy theories. I'm highly suspicious of them. :D

Really though, most conspiracy theories are created as propoganda to serve someones' political agenda.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
This whole thread is a conspiracy man.

typologycentral is actual a goverment think-tank designed to determine what "types" of people are a threat to the NWO.

NO ONE IS SAFE!

GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Really though, most conspiracy theories are created as propoganda to serve someones' political agenda.

So the politicians create the conspiracy theories to feed the propaganda machine?

Just making sure I have my facts straight... ;)

B

brainheart

So the politicians create the conspiracy theories to feed the propaganda machine?

Yeah, the Conspiracy Theory Conspiracy Theory. :D

Actually, I think it's more the followers of particular belief systems/political agendas who create them/believe them vs the actual politicians. But the politicians whom they support don't come out and deny them a lot of the time, so they tacitly endorse them in a way.

I see a lot of people here accusing INFJs of this.
But I hate conspiracy theories. I'm highly suspicious of them.

Yeah, I highly doubt, in retrospect, that the person I was speaking of earlier is an INFJ. She has ZERO foresight. ESFP who's all caught up in her inferior Ni?

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
i don't know how much "type" plays into whether someone is open to such things or not. i enjoy speculation as much as i enjoy hard facts, because sometimes speculation turns into hard facts. i know introverts and sensors and extroverts and intuitives and feelers and thinkers who all enjoy friendly speculatory banter.

hell, i know about this group of people called christians, that believe that a man named Jesus Christ was born of a virgin, performed miracles and was crucified on a cross, only to be resurrected three days later and levitate up into heaven. and get this, it turns out he is the son of a personified "God" that has opinions, makes decisions, is wrathful and like to play ironic games with the tiny humans to teach them lessons (i.e. book of Job). now thats some crazy shit!

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1

Well........yes! Politicians and those who blindly buy into their rhetoric. Talk radio hosts are the worst.

I actually almost deleted some people on facebook when Obama decided to make a speach directed to school children. Some republican friends kept bombarding me with all this crap about how Obama was "indoctrinating our children". It was just a speech to encourage kids, but people that are strongly politically motivated will believe anything and promote all manner of hateful slander if they think it will get their people in power. Makes me sick whether it comes from the left or the right. It's just hate.