• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can this be the reason why Ns think that sensors are "stupid" ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is not anti S thread.
I am simply trying to put some light on why sensors are so often disliked among some intuitives.

During my everyday life my intuition is constantly out of control. So I am almost never in "here" and now mode. Plus my mind constantly creates new ideas and concepts. Or I am trying determine what will be happen in the future and why will happen what will happen. I simply can stop with this activity. (for the most part)

However I can try to focus on my senses and I usually manage to stay in this mode for a shot amount of time.
However when I do this there is no more : guessing what the future holds. (especially not on the scales of billions of years)

There is no deep philosophical arguments all over my mind. Mountains and landspaces look as mountains and landspaces instead as remains of some ocean that no longer exists. Or remains of strong tectonic activity that ended 270 millions of years ago. Plus there is no entire entire "space and time" thing.

Instead of this I have a normal street with parked cars and rain that is falling for the last 2 hours infront of me. I don't know about the other Ns but this is so much simplier existance. However if we look and rate thing by book this is the world of sensing.

So when a strong N comes into this world everything seems so simple but extremly limited. What means that sensors are narrow minded for the most part since they live like this through most of their lifes.

Comments ?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^I'm very much like you in this sense. I'm never actually here, or if I am, it's quite often. I'm always planning things in my head. I do enjoy Se at times because it feeds my Ne.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This is not anti S thread.
I am simply trying to put some light on why sensors are so often disliked among some intuitives.

During my everyday life my intuition is constantly out of control. So I am almost never in "here" and now mode. Plus my mind constantly creates new ideas and concepts. Or I am trying determine what will be happen in the future and why will happen what will happen. I simply can stop with this activity. (for the most part)

However I can try to focus on my senses and I usually manage to stay in this mode for a shot amount of time.
However when I do this there is no more : guessing what the future holds. (especially not on the scales of billions of years)

There is no deep philosophical arguments all over my mind. Mountains and landspaces look as mountains and landspaces instead as remains of some ocean that no longer exists. Or remains of strong tectonic activity that ended 270 millions of years ago. Plus there is no entire entire "space and time" thing.

Instead of this I have a normal street with parked cars and rain that is falling for the last 2 hours infront of me. I don't know about the other Ns but this is so much simplier existance. However if we look and rate thing by book this is the world of sensing.

So when a strong N comes into this world everything seems so simple but extremly limited. What means that sensors are narrow minded for the most part since they live like this through most of their lifes.

Comments ?

I like this! :)

Well I don't know if I think sensors are narrow minded, but I certainly sometimes feel they are very rooted to the ground. But I know what you mean. Intuitives aren't as limited to their immediate physical surroundings so a lot of them feel their type as deeper. This and the fact that academic success is often equated with intelligence often make people perceive sensors as lesser mental beings.

But I find the close relationship sensors have with the external world helps them look a lot sharper and on the ball than the spacey N's. Like you said, our world (of N) is a lot more fantastical than a couple of cars in a parking lot, but it's not always more helpful to think like that. That being said, I am guilty of not being able to relate to sensors concrete practical worldview and label them as bores on occasion. :D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It sounds really painful and maddening to have constant possibility scenarios going through your head. I've got enough sources of stress in my life just from living, I'd hate to have a bunch that I created myself!

wolfy

awsm
Can N types taste ice cream?

To me it seems you are missing the very essence of life. But that's just me I guess. I experience the world physically. I see my body and mind as inseparable.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
No, I don't think that's it...

Normally, I see the world that way, too. The things going in my head are usually more along the lines of "what if I end up living in the streets," "how do they expect me to get experience if I haven't had a job before," "how on earth do those people stay connected all the time and still get things done," "how do they remember to stay in touch with people they don't see on a regular basis anymore," or "how did all those people get to know each other, who introduced them"?

So, I don't tend to layer that much on top of the physical world or imagine how things were built, I just tend to tune into the few details of the physical world I need to in order to move from place to place and not care about it.

The biggest thing I notice about sensors... is that they're "slow," if you will. Sometimes they'll say things very slowly, and I'll get impatient and want to finish their sentences for them because I know where they're going with it, but that's not really what I mean. That is, they often can't guess what my assumptions are even if I think they should be obvious. They can understand what I'm saying if I articulate all the assumptions. The problem, again, is that not only are they unlikely to guess the assumptions, they're also unlikely to be interested in understanding what I'm saying.

So to me, Sensors seem stupid because they often lack curiosity about abstract ideas. Even if they had lousy abstract processing capability, I would see them as intelligent if they were curious. To me, lack of curiosity is stupidity, regardless of type.

R

Riva

Living in the moment is the easiest way to get rid of all your stress.
rather than creating 100,000 issue in your head.

anyway this living in the moment is not exactly a S thing. they don't entirely live in the present moment.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
anyway this living in the moment is not exactly a S thing. they don't entirely live in the present moment.

It's funny how it seems it's mostly Ns who say this... how would they know? They aren't S's. Who are they to say that? It seems to be patronizing.

Jaguar

The biggest thing I notice about sensors... is that they're "slow," if you will. That is, they often can't guess what my assumptions are even if I think they should be obvious. They can understand what I'm saying if I articulate all the assumptions. The problem, again, is that not only are they unlikely to guess the assumptions, they're also unlikely to be interested in understanding what I'm saying.

So to me, Sensors seem stupid because they often lack curiosity about abstract ideas. Even if they had lousy abstract processing capability, I would see them as intelligent if they were curious. To me, lack of curiosity is stupidity, regardless of type.

Only one person brought up the conscious-subconscious link in a recent thread about function orders.
(Antisocial One's thread, interestingly enough.)

An ISTP.

Was I surprised? No.
But then I'm not stupid.
A truly stupid person would think a Sensor lacks curiosity, or cannot think abstractly.

S or N is a PREFERENCE.
It does not reflect skill or ability.

Anyone who refuses to understand something that simple is the one who is slow, and most definitely stupid.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If I were to tell you guys I was a BASE jumper, would you believe me?

lamp

well BC Its maybe like everybody samples a little bit of 'reality'. SP's are in the 'present' with their Se and also lost in thought with their introverted function. SJ's are lost in Si and paying attention to the present with their extroverted function. . And maybe the N's end up 'creating' their model of reality, they experience reality through their model.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Only one person brought up the conscious-subconscious link in a recent thread about function orders.
(Antisocial One's thread, interestingly enough.)

An ISTP.

Was I surprised? No.
But then I'm not stupid.
A truly stupid person would think a Sensor lacks curiosity, or cannot think abstractly.

S or N is a PREFERENCE.
It does not reflect skill or ability.

Anyone who refuses to understand something that simple is the one who is slow, and most definitely stupid.

I was asked why I thought sensors were stupid, not if I thought they were stupid. And ISTPs tend to be rather intelligent, IMO.

So, I gave a reason why I might consider a given sensor to be stupid.

Sensors in general may be curious or be able to think abstractly, but you can't tell me that some of them aren't curious or struggle to think abstractly.

Of course, I suppose there are also Ns who aren't curious and struggle to think abstractly.

So, honestly, it was a stupid answer to a stupid question. Nothing more.

Jaguar

If I were to tell you guys I was a BASE jumper, would you believe me?

If you said in conversation, "I'm a base jumper," yes I would believe you.
Then I would ask you to tell me what it's like to be a crazy fucker. :D

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
One of my friends is a strong SJ. What I notice most is how literal she is. Last Monday we took a walk on Yom Kippur and she asked me what was the meaning of the observance. I said it was about "missing the mark" and evaluating ones life to improve in the new year. She said something like "well I have my husband and my daughter and I'm pretty satisfied." I explained it's about looking inside and improving yourself (being more patient, etc.), but she never did come up with anything she thought she could improve.

She also asks annoyingly silly questions when something doesn't make sense to her - sometimes I'm convinced she deliberately misunderstands me, other times it seems that I don't phrase it the way she would so she's unsure what I meant. Talking about a large congregation to which I used to belong, I said "well, I was the only one who belonged..." She said "you're the only member of XYZ?" I continued "...in my family."

She does this several times in a conversation, questioning if I meant exactly what I said, rather than mentally adjusting and reaching the most logical conclusion.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One of my friends is a strong SJ. What I notice most is how literal she is. Last Monday we took a walk on Yom Kippur and she asked me what was the meaning of the observance. I said it was about "missing the mark" and evaluating ones life to improve in the new year. She said something like "well I have my husband and my daughter and I'm pretty satisfied." I explained it's about looking inside and improving yourself (being more patient, etc.), but she never did come up with anything she thought she could improve.

She also asks annoyingly silly questions when something doesn't make sense to her - sometimes I'm convinced she deliberately misunderstands me, other times it seems that I don't phrase it the way she would so she's unsure what I meant. Talking about a large congregation to which I used to belong, I said "well, I was the only one who belonged..." She said "you're the only member of XYZ?" I continued "...in my family."

She does this several times in a conversation, questioning if I meant exactly what I said, rather than mentally adjusting and reaching the most logical conclusion.

I would actually consider her to be intelligent, then. She asks you what you mean, and she's curious. I like people who ask questions and pay attention to the answers.

It may seem annoying, but her knowledge of what you mean probably ends up being much more precise, certain, and detailed because of those very exacting questions. ;)

Incidentally, a lot of INTPs do things like this in logical debates, though it's usually to appear intelligent and find any flaws in their opponent's position.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You SUPPOSE? :shock:

You better go have an eye exam.

Ahem. It was a figure of speech. I like to soften what I'm saying by adding words like "suppose" and "possibly" to my sentences.

There ARE Ns who aren't curious and struggle to think abstractly. There, I said it. :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

ISTPs are known as one of the most curious types in MBTI, and oh yeah... they are sensors. ISTPs are usually very intelligent, and they're sensors.

MBTI Type
INxJ
ISTPs are known as one of the most curious types in MBTI, and oh yeah... they are sensors. ISTPs are usually very intelligent, and they're sensors.

I know two ISFJ scientists. Obviously, there are many intelligent sensors. It comes across differently in translation though. I think someone mentioned S types would be less inclined to go into theoretical physics, but they often make great scientists of more hands on variety. I believe that to be true.

Also, I really like ISTPs. I've never had trouble communicating with them in casual conversation or debate. They would also be up for skydiving with me. What's not to like?