• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eccentricity and MBTI

Which types are the most eccentric?

• ENTJ

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • ENTP

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESTP

• ESFJ

• ESFP

• INTJ

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • INTP

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • INFJ

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • INFP

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • ISTJ

• ISTP

• ISFJ

• ISFP

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
INJs and ENPs are most intuitive, however they are not the best at using their Intuitions. INPs are the best at using their Intuitions because they are most judicious about their intuitions. (Introverted Judgment is the strongest form of judgment.) You do not need as much Intuitive power as INJs and ENPs have in order to apply your intuitions well, you need much less. INPs have just enough.

INPs are most eccentric because they are most determined to live their lives based on their inner standards (Introverted Judgment). Whilst, the INJs do create their internal vision to live by, that is indeed highly esoteric, however they do subjugate it to an external standard. (Extroverted Judgment) INJs mostly measure their success by 'aha' moments which are founded on internal criteria (introverted intuition), however, their only solid way to measure success would be by an external standard. Thus, this ties them to the convention. ENPs , as dominant Intuitors too measure their success by an external standard, but it is tied to the external world because their visions orient more around the external world rather than the inner world. Their Introverted Judgment is not strong enough to be the primary standard of self-assessment.

However, INPs go primarily by the Internal standard, something the ENPs cannot do. They are tied to the convention due to their external intuitions in the same fashion as ENPs are, but the tie is much weaker because the Extroverted Intuition is less significant.

Eccentricity is most closely associated with one's ability to apply intuitions. INPs are the most proficient at this because they are the best at assessing, it as they have the firmest control over their Intuitions. (The question here is, what good is having as much Intuition as INJs and ENPs do if you cannot make sense of them and thus cannot put your intuitions to good use?) INJs are better than ENPs at using their Intuition because their Intuition is stronger due to the factor of introversion. ENPs have stronger judgment than INJs(also due to the introversion factor), though this factor is to be thought less significant than the former because here we are comparing secondary faculties as opposed to primary.

INP
INJ
ENP

Thinkers tend to be more eccentric than Feelers because they rely less on their external environment due to their higher propensity towards autonomy.

INTP
INFP
INTJ
INFJ
ENTP
ENFP
ENTJ
ENFJ
Correct.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The most eccentric people I've ever met have been ISFP's strangely enough. They have very strange inner worlds. They'll also do crazy things for no reason, rather the same way INFP's do, except they do it more often. Their powerful imaginations always help with this too.

Any type with very strong function preferences always seem eccentric. Wildcat, Bluewing, and Hustler have given INTP's a strong case in this competition too.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Since most of you have already decided that intuitives are the most eccentric types (which I call intuitive narcissism), I call your attention to this video recommended by meanlittlechimp.

I don't think we should be asking which types are the most eccentric, perhaps asking in what ways are different types eccentric. I also thing it's interesting the most people in this thread automatically zoomed in on the fact that some of the participants in this video are ISJs. There's no denying the bizarreness of the behavior.

What are the different ways sensors/intuitives manifest eccentricity?
ISTJs, all of them. An F would not be happy with dolls.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
The most eccentric people I've ever met have been ISFP's strangely enough. They have very strange inner worlds. They'll also do crazy things for no reason, rather the same way INFP's do, except they do it more often. Their powerful imaginations always help with this too.

Any type with very strong function preferences always seem eccentric. Wildcat, Bluewing, and Hustler have given INTP's a strong case in this competition too.

I'm agreeing with this one. The two most likely ISFPs I've known, including an old boyfriend, have been a bit on the kooky side. Not in an insulting way, but their offbeat inner worlds seem to play out in their outer worlds which I think gives them more of an eccentric image - and I think they truly enjoy having an eccentric image! My ISFP ex used to wear offbeat clothes when we went out depending on his mood & exhibited kind of out there, illogical thoughts and actions. The thing that got me was that he was not embarassed in the way I would be if I did the same things. Both ISFPs also used to boast the "crazy" image in a proud sort of way.

I also agree that anyone with a strong function preferences is going to seem eccentric. INFJs & INTJs seem to get a bad rap with this one because Ni is quite possibly one of the more offbeat functions (Fi being the other one I feel fits into the traditional idea of eccentricity).

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

I was actually going to say that ISFPs are hard nuts to crack -- at least for me. I think a stereotype would be for ISFP to be a survivalist or super outdoorsy person who lives alone in a cabin deep deep deep in the mountains drawing pictures they will never share with anyone else -- which is considered eccentric. If the ISFP I knew IRL is any indication, I can definitely see how their type is odd. Or oddly hot, I personally found the fact I couldn't quite understand his thought processes or what's going on with him to be attractive.

Hahahhaa...I wonder if Bluewing feels picked on.

INTPs are eccentric in that they are very individualistic in their thinking and don't need people to agree with them...I think. Just an observation of my 2 INTP friends. Rather than eccentric though people who know them would just say they definitely march to their own drummer.

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
ENTP.

No, seriously, I don't see how any other type, except maybe INTP, could possibly be as overall "out there" as ENTPs. ENTPs are the ones that do the crazy crap that INTPs think up... in fact, ENTPs are so optimistic about what they can do that they give me the creeps.

Hell, my favorite ENTP friend introduces himself as "Hi, I'm X, and I'm not crazy, just strange."

I agree. We're pretty off-beat.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
INTPs are certainly non-conformists and independent thinkers. My husband is an atheist, but I wouldn't call him eccentric. He has few close friends, but a strong habit of service to others. A conservative dresser who doesn't like to stand out in any way. Neither exhibitionistic nor agoraphobic, and doesn't hold wacky theories. "March to his own drummer" is a good description.

The ENPs I know are much more eccentric. My cousin just put an addition on his house - there's a new front door, but no steps down to the stoop 20 feet below; the family has to use the old front door. Now that's eccentric.

Jae Rae

ps646566

MBTI Type
INTJ
It probably is INTx, because they are WYSIWYG and do not care much about what anybody else thinks of them, especially as they get older. Lack of eccentricity is mostly about the drive for conformity and acceptance, conscious or otherwise.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
did I already mention this in this thread... can't remember (and can't be arsed to search)... but it depends on whether we're talking about who looks most eccentric as opposed to who really is, and whether they're the same thing.

As to who comes across the weirdest yeah, no contest for us ENTP's!

But when it comes to appearing really normal and stuff, and yet being seriously weird inside, I've known few who can compete with the INFJ's I've known... then again, that could just be my perception - that they're weird to me because they're so different to me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTPs are the weirdest.

ENFPs are the craziest.

Not sure about the INTJ or the INFJ. I'd say the INTJ is the most sarcastic and the INFJ is the shyest.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In your personal opinion, which type(s) do you think would be viewed as the most eccentric? Being specific, which type to you think would be most likely to have unusual (perhaps bordering on even heretical) opinions and views, a lack of concern or complete disregard of social norms and their appearance, cultivate odd and obscure interests and hobbies, have a very individualistic bent, and to display an array of uncommon habits, obsessions, fixations, phobias etc.?
Wouldn't the INTP come in in first place in that contest?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... REAL eccentrics are the way they are through a lifetime of strange experiences and suchlike, and they've known since childhood the pain and other sides that come with the attention or whatever, of being known as 'odd' or 'different', and so have generally learned to cap it somewhat, and to appear normal-ish. ....
I agree with this. So true.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In my mind the stereotypical image of an eccentric person is that of an extreme ENTP. The stereotypical "crackpot," on the other hand, seems to be an extreme INTJ or INFJ.

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Actually I changed my mind. INTP's and ENTP's tie for eccentricity. INTP's are just more low key about it.

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Eccentricity is related to N, yes, but I also believe that introverts tend to be more eccentric than extroverts, due to their relative indifference to the vagaries of the outside world and what may, by extension, be considered socially 'acceptable'.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I say INTJ. Even though I am one myself, I can't say that I'm in sync to the norm. INFJ as well.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
In my travels I met a chap, an American.
We were not exactly friends. Suffice it to say we had mutual friends, and we came along.
For a time we worked in the same enterprise. Another time we shared an apartment.

I left the scene and moved to another place.
One day I came back to stay for a while. I had some urgent business in the town.

We met in our old club. He wanted to buy me a drink or two. I said no. I had business to attend to.

Later in the night I returned to the club. He was still there, the only client.
He was not exactly drunk. I think he was tipsy.

I ordered Scotch and water. We talked about this and that.

Suddenly he said: wildcat, you are a bizarre one.

I did not comprehend.
I had learned not to ask. I said nothing.

It lingered in my memory what he said though.

You see, an Englishman would never use the epithet "bizarre" .. in place of plain English.

A home cooked meal is better than an odd dish.

rachel25lee

Most Neurotic of Types

I would say INTPs would be the oddest of types, at least in the way of not caring how they appear to others or what people may think of them. Also, because they're often detatched from everybody, they may develop odd habits (such as constantly scratching their ear, or sucking on their toes, something offbeat like that) because there's nobody around to influence them in any way. Plus, their often off in their mind (off thinking... I don't mean loco), so they won't be paying much attention to what their body defaults to doing whenever their thinking. Last, but not least, INTPs like thinking about how they can improve themselves to be compitent and eliete in many things, so they'll try out new (and often viewed as "eccentric") activities to possibly boost their thinking power and/or aid in improving hobbies and techniques. For example, if you've seen Death Note (the anime), you would know who the character L is (he's an INTP)... He'd isolated himself from the social public and had developed odd habits, such as constantly eating sugary foods and holding objects with only his index finger and thumb. He's also hunched over when he walks and sits with his knees drawn to his chest. These are byproducts from being alone and constantly working on improving his inelligence and mental being. L also constantly wears jeans and a plain white shirt, and his hair is uncut and messy, meaning he could care less how people see him and only cares about the function and compatibility of his body with his clothes. So, I do believe INTPs are oddest of the types; INTJs may also share some equivalent qualities.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From experience/observation, the SJs around me, who seem to see themselves as the experts on "normalcy" :rolli:, routinely refer to all INPs they know as strange, weird, and odd. Now, they have certainly encountered other SJs whom they found strange (and I find MANY SJs strange), but the pattern to nearly always find INPs strange is much stronger. INJs are often found strange, but because of having Je aux functions they seem to hide it better. Of the INXXs, INFJs appear the least strange (which is not saying much), IMO, because their Fe can help them adapt a bit. ISFPs can appear quite strange, but it varies more between individuals.

Looking at this from a theory standpoint, I is less common than E (or at least less desirable in society), N is less common than S and more prone to abstraction, and Pe is less structured & more haphazard than Je (although very extreme J can seem bizarre). T/F may seem subtly strange if paired with the less common gender, but otherwise I see little correlation. That also "supports" INPs as coming off the most eccentric to people, and INJs at a close second.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In your personal opinion, which type(s) do you think would be viewed as the most eccentric? Being specific, which type to you think would be most likely to have unusual (perhaps bordering on even heretical) opinions and views, a lack of concern or complete disregard of social norms and their appearance, cultivate odd and obscure interests and hobbies, have a very individualistic bent, and to display an array of uncommon habits, obsessions, fixations, phobias etc.?
INTP.