• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eccentricity and MBTI

Which types are the most eccentric?

• ENTJ

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • ENTP

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESTP

• ESFJ

• ESFP

• INTJ

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • INTP

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • INFJ

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • INFP

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • ISTJ

• ISTP

• ISFJ

• ISFP

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

Othon

MBTI Type
INTP
Definitely ENTP's.
ISFP's being a close second.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
From experience/observation, the SJs around me, who seem to see themselves as the experts on "normalcy" :rolli:, routinely refer to all INPs they know as strange, weird, and odd. Now, they have certainly encountered other SJs whom they found strange (and I find MANY SJs strange), but the pattern to nearly always find INPs strange is much stronger. INJs are often found strange, but because of having Je aux functions they seem to hide it better. Of the INXXs, INFJs appear the least strange (which is not saying much), IMO, because their Fe can help them adapt a bit. ISFPs can appear quite strange, but it varies more between individuals.

Looking at this from a theory standpoint, I is less common than E (or at least less desirable in society), N is less common than S and more prone to abstraction, and Pe is less structured & more haphazard than Je (although very extreme J can seem bizarre). T/F may seem subtly strange if paired with the less common gender, but otherwise I see little correlation. That also "supports" INPs as coming off the most eccentric to people, and INJs at a close second.

Maybe. But this is probably because we have pretty easy time hidding Ni. Which is probably the weirdest function of them all.
Also INPs are not scary that much since they are usually passive so they come as none threatening as such. While we are goal oriented, more action oriented and wierd. What is probably more likely to throw people of balance since it is less stereotypical combination. (at least where I live)
Btw I am one of those strong Js.

Just saying. :yes:

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm considered a little eccentric even though my type is supposed to be uber serious all the time.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I was wondering if there would be a thread on this anywhere.

Personally, I reckon NTPs would be the most, followed by NFPs, ISPs and INTJs. Not sure if ENTP or INTP would be considered more eccentric. In different ways, I suppose?

I'm eccentric. I've been told a few times and I'm always seeming out of the norm. I space out a lot, get completely disconnected, then interrupt a conversation someone is having right in front of me and ask what they're talking about. I sometimes look very dumb because of my cluelessness to reality. I say things out of nowhere, get distracted by random things and make jokes nobody can understand. I sometimes switch the focus of my attention quickly or focus on one point for a long time. I often say things honestly and bluntly, which can offend people. Sometimes I will laugh at something inside my head or get in a weird state for no apparent reason. I can be moody and seem anxious or neurotic at times. I can go off on out-loud thought tangents, or make abstract comparisons and jokes that nobody gets. I can have weird ideas and a strong imagination. I fidget, I sit in weird positions, I wear abnormal clothing. I will sometimes be very loud and excited and then be quiet and observant for long periods.

So yeah. My N friends and my ISFP friend are also all rather odd, though I am debatably the oddest (either me or the ISFP). We used to sit at the same table in art, and we always got comments about how weird we were. It was funny.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Why do people want to be seen as eccentric? Or at least want their type to be seen as eccentric.

It seems a curse.

I think it can be a good and a bad thing in different ways.

Eccentric people aren't always liked by others. Sometimes people find eccentrics interesting, but it is not so common that those traits will be enjoyable for a long period by many. I reckon people are sometimes too adjusted the norm that they view eccentricities as bad when they aren't always so.

Despite this, I think that as long as they are not particularly negative traits (besides in that they are unusual), people should embrace their own individuality. The whole thing is a matter of perspective, and I shouldn't try to change myself because I am different. Because from my point of view, some normal people seem eccentric, though I know through social exposure that their behaviour is not considered weird and mine is. I find 'normal' people actually rather dull a lot of the time, and thus my friendship group is tilted towards the eccentric side. I am happy being who I am, even if that is eccentric, although I do sometimes wish others were more happy with it. XD

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Oh yeah, I remembered something.

Incidentally, In my perspective, the craziest person I've ever met was an ISTJ.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's hard to choose between INPs and NTPs, I'd pick INTP is the most "eccentric" type, though in some cases INFP.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have two sisters- ENFP and ESFP- both are eccentric in different ways.

I have two INTJ friends (one's a lawyer and into local politics). Neither of them are 'eccentric'- as a matter of fact- they'd call me weird before I'd do that to them.

And on top of that, one of my nicknames among my immediate 8 siblings is Twierd, because when I was younger I could take anything and make toys or games out of them. Call me the Pre-School McGuyver. :D

D

Dali

Didn't know ISFPs would have such a strong 'showing'. Hmmm. Perhaps my friends (and family... and employees... and ex SOs...) may have a point after all.

That said, my vote goes to INTs.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Didn't know ISFPs would have such a strong 'showing'.

They really can! They can be incredibly imaginative and zany, go against trends and may even seem extraverted sometimes. They're expressive and unique and their tendency for extreme emotional states (in my experience) makes them seem very eccentric indeed.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
You know what? To decide once and for all, let's have a foolproof and scientifically viable test! Which of the following characters is the most eccentric?

matt-smith-the-eleventh-doctor.jpg

2196yig.jpg

batman-begins22.jpg

Best examples I could think of. XD

D

Dali

They really can! They can be incredibly imaginative and zany, go against trends and may even seem extraverted sometimes. They're expressive and unique and their tendency for extreme emotional states (in my experience) makes them seem very eccentric indeed.

Ah... well... when you put it that way... :crazy:

You know what? To decide once and for all, let's have a foolproof and scientifically viable test! Which of the following characters is the most eccentric?

matt-smith-the-eleventh-doctor.jpg

What type is the vampire in the tweed blazer supposed to be? :shock:

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
There you go, everyone. Empiricism has spoken. ENTPs are the most eccentric. They are also vampires.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah... well... when you put it that way... :crazy:

What type is the vampire in the tweed blazer supposed to be? :shock:
ENTP. The bat in tights is INTJ, and the weirdo basement dweller who eats nothing but sweets is INTP.

ENTP wins.

Also, fedoras are cool, like bowties.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're just cool. Allow me to demonstrate:

Fedora:
michael-corleone-al-pacino.jpg

No Fedora:
1000_3153_21471298_Michael_Corleone.jpg

Fedoras are definitely better than without Fedoras. QED.