• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life experience and the S/N functions.

Hemogl0bin

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
Hi all, bunch of questions here...

Do you think that life experience is a big factor in determining whether you are predominantly a sensor or intuitive? For example, would you say that those who were raised in dangerous or competetive(lack of food,clothing, etc) situations are more likely to be sensors?

Would you say that intuitors as a whole were allowed the "leisure" of being inuitive during the early course of their lives, having the time to ponder about astract theories and to not focus on their surroundings as much?

Have you or anyone that you've known begin to use their S function dominantly after certain experiences in their lives that would apply, or vice versa?

Also, do you think it is possible for someone to test as a strong N but still have a very developed S function? Do you know of any N's that perform well in S dominated fields?

Thanks for reading and I look foward to your answers.:newwink:

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
First, type is nature, not nurture. It is a predisposition.

I would say that iNuit's do spend more time up in there head than sensors who I often wonder if it's even possible for them to be.

I'm not quite sure what your third question is asking. But your dominate function is your dominate function, and that doesn't change.

Lastly, yes. I know many people who are S's that do great in N dominated fields and visa versa. It is very possibly (and encouraged) to develop your tertiary and inferior functions.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Erm... I suppose someone's personality could change after a stroke or some other form of brain damage, but other than that I think people are born into their personalities.

Hemogl0bin

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
I'm not quite sure what your third question is asking. But your dominate function is your dominate function, and that doesn't change.

For example, let's say that you are drafted into the military and have to fight for your life every day, always on your toes, forced to think in the present moment moreso. Would a N in this position hone his S function but still remain a N, or might he/she possibly convert to an S over time?

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
For example, let's say that you are drafted into the military and have to fight for your life every day, always on your toes, forced to think in the present moment moreso. Would a N this position hone his S function but still remain a N, or might he/she possibly convert to an S over time?

Well I cant really help you with the nature v nurture thing but in regards to this question. I would say it is entirely possible for them to develop Se, but it wouldnt take over. Your dominiant function is always the re, even if you use other functions more it will always dictate you.
Let me explain.

ENTJ and INTJ, both great strategists.

ENTJ Ni is a slave to Tes goals, the ENTJ is more likely to pursue material goods and social status.

INTJ Te is a slave to Nis goals, the INTJ is satsified with a more abstract concept of success.

INTP and ENTP

INTP Ne is a slave to Tis goals, so they seek knowledge and understanding.

ENTP Ti is a slave to Nes goals, so they mainly seek entertainment.

So even if said N was to develop Se it would still be a slave to the dominant function.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
For example, let's say that you are drafted into the military and have to fight for your life every day, always on your toes, forced to think in the present moment moreso. Would a N in this position hone his S function but still remain a N, or might he/she possibly convert to an S over time?

I'll pretend this is a perfect scenario.

A person will always go back to using their dominate function if able to.

If I were in a war zone and had to tap into my Se for 6 months straight it wouldn't become my dominate function, it would just become more easily accessed. But as soon as I got out and back home I would soon return to using Ne again (assuming I don't have PTS).
If I was put in a wheel chain for 6 months, I wuold learn to walk again.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP

Do you think that life experience is a big factor in determining whether you are predominantly a sensor or intuitive? For example, would you say that those who were raised in dangerous or competetive(lack of food,clothing, etc) situations are more likely to be sensors?

Would you say that intuitors as a whole were allowed the "leisure" of being inuitive during the early course of their lives, having the time to ponder about astract theories and to not focus on their surroundings as much?

Have you or anyone that you've known begin to use their S function dominantly after certain experiences in their lives that would apply, or vice versa?

Also, do you think it is possible for someone to test as a strong N but still have a very developed S function? Do you know of any N's that perform well in S dominated fields?

Thanks for reading and I look foward to your answers.:newwink:

interesting hypothesis. Nature vs. Nurture thing all over again. and despite what they say, it is a bit a both I guess. You are probably right, intuitives are probably spoiled/well taken care of children, and sensors might use their sensing function reptilian brain more because of survival needs. When it comes to survival, safety, security, the sensing function takes over, it may very well be that natural born intuitives may come to rely on sensing function at an early age under harsh circumstances, and vice versa. There really is an endless amount of possibilities and yes I think this is one of them.

As for your other questions I'm not so sure because at that point where you can identify their type, it's going to take a lot more to change who they have been shaped to be till that point.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If it is forced upon you by external circumstances then it can't really be a natural preference.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Nature vs. Nurture, and this time I'm going to take the side of Nature. Intuitives do not only come from leisurely lifestyles, and Sensors do not only come from tough dangerous lifestyles. This has little to no bearing on S/N. The type is developed pretty early in life, and S/N for the most part is natural.

I haven't known any Intuitors who've experienced a change to Sensorship. I don't know if it's possible to change type personally. I'd think it would be a difficult, long-term struggle if it's possible at all.

As for the 2nd question, I'm sure there are a handful of N athletes. Of course the majority of athletes are Sensors, but you're still gonna find N's in pro sports.