• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could E/I be split into two parts?

Dufresne

MBTI Type
INFP
For a long time I was told that our extroversion was determined by where we get our energy from, but in my experience that doesn't seem to reflect how social people are. I have heard stories of people who are social but need time alone to regain energy, and vice versa.

Also, extroverts are supposed to make up 70% of the population. I think about 90% of the people I know get their energy from being alone.

It seems that your energy source and your sociability are two separate groups. In my opinion, we should just redefine extroversion as one's sociability, because one's energy source doesn't seem very useful.

Thoughts?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think the 70% figure is correct, based on the stats I have seen (it's much closer to the 45-55 range).

I also think that basing your assessment on people you know is a mistake, since your social circles are chosen by you to reflect your own personality to some degree, and are also based on occupation and other factors. i.e., you are probably more prone to have introverts in your social environment, it's self-selecting.

I think if you explore MBTI Step II, some of these concerns will be alleviated. In this, each function in each pair is broken into five subcategories and rated. We have some comments here on this forum, and you can also find a small bit about Step II in wikipedia. Step II differentiates between types of extroverts and introverts, which is what you are looking for.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
For a long time I was told that our extroversion was determined by where we get our energy from, but in my experience that doesn't seem to reflect how social people are. I have heard stories of people who are social but need time alone to regain energy, and vice versa.

Also, extroverts are supposed to make up 70% of the population. I think about 90% of the people I know get their energy from being alone.

It seems that your energy source and your sociability are two separate groups. In my opinion, we should just redefine extroversion as one's sociability, because one's energy source doesn't seem very useful.

Thoughts?

I disagree. Some Introverts are sociable because of their goals or their friends, but they are still drained by the interaction. In fact, I would say that where you derive your energy is more important than your sociability. ENTP's specifically can be rather introverted people, but they still derive their energy from something on the outside, whether it's a person or a project. The real difference appears in how dealing with things on the outside effects your energy, and I also think how sensitive you are to stimuli is a part of it, with Introverts being more sensitive to it, hence needing/wanting less stimulation, and Extroverts being less so, thus seeking further stimulation.

Does that make sense?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...I think if you explore MBTI Step II, some of these concerns will be alleviated. In this, each function in each pair is broken into five subcategories and rated. We have some comments here on this forum, and you can also find a small bit about Step II in wikipedia. Step II differentiates between types of extroverts and introverts, which is what you are looking for.
I'm going to go check that out.

Vicki

MBTI Type
????
I have heard stories of people who are social but need time alone to regain energy, and vice versa.
I can agree a little, that seems to be my case.
I'm VERY social, and need to be alone, maybe just not as quickly
as an introvert?