• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament Priorities (Individual, World, Community, Family)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I thought this was pretty interesting: Keirsey's son's rankings of priorities according to each temperament

Rational = NT
Idealist = NF
Guardian = SJ
Artisan = SP

To simplify, and as an initial guess -- the problem is one has to represent the concept in abstraction (which makes little sense).

Most Rationals would say: I rank MY individual, MY world, MY family, MY community.

Most Idealists would say: I rank MY world, MY family, MY individual, MY community.

Most Guardians would say: I rank MY family, MY community, MY individual, MY world.

Most Artisans would say: I rank MY community, MY family, MY individual, MY world.

In other words,

MY INDIVIDUAL might be what the person believes the individual is inherently = the model of the individual's self interest. (THE INDIVIDUAL and the IMPORTANCE OF THE INDIVIDUAL)

MY FAMILY might be what the person believes is the importance of his family and his model of the family. (THE FAMILY and the IMPORTANCE OF THE FAMILY)

MY COMMUNITY might be what the person believes is the importance of his cohort and his model of his cohort. (MY TEAM and the IMPORTANCE OF THE TEAM)

MY WORLD might be what the person believes is how the world works. (Political, Economic, Military, Physics Religions)

This means that as an Artisan, my first priority is my circle of friends. I find that to be very true. Having friends about my age range with similar interests and lifestyles is the most important thing to me. Having rapport and interaction with them is a need, not just a want. I'll do pretty much anything for them. Family is next because what I value more than anything are people I can know personally and have relevance to my life. I let those mold my idea of who I am because I'm more likely to just fall into the flow of the group dynamic. Lastly I do care about worldwide dynamics but only as they affect people and especially those I can personally have interaction with. I care about what happens in the world but it's not a priority to try to do something about what I'll probably have little effect on.

So, do you Idealists consider what happens on a global scale (I guess a sense of global community) to be the most important?

Do you Rationals consider the importance of individuality to be the greatest?

Do you Guardians think that family is the most important thing there is?

etc, etc.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's totally wrong for me.

I'd rank my world, my individual, my community, and THEN my family.

Why did none of the temperaments have family fourth?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Wrong for me, too.

I would rank my family first, individual, my world, and THEN my community.

I don't care what anybody says, to me, family is by far more important. It's people who love you and care for you. Your community and your world can't support and love you the way your family can. And this even applies for girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands and wives.

Putting yourself above your family, in my opinion, shows a bit of selfishness. But I do cherish my individuality more than my world.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Family, Individual, Community, World.

My immediate circle (fe - caretaking my "own"), myself (ni - it demands), community (se - actions on behalf of my town/state/country), world (ti - far-flung ideals and concepts that need thinking through for efficacy).

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Family -> Individual -> Community -> World for me i think

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Hm, I think that's about right for me actually.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me it would be My individual, My family, My world, My Community. I have deep respects for my family. That's why I put the family in the second. If it wasn't for them I'd be dead.
On the other hand everything else is in order. I couldnt give a rats ass for my community at all.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Community will come back to bite you on the butt. All actions radiate outward and will drag you in, regardless. Caring about what goes on in your environment is a matter of survival.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I travel quite often. I doubt I'll be affected by my community at all.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I thought this was pretty interesting: Keirsey's son's rankings of priorities according to each temperament
To simplify, and as an initial guess -- the problem is one has to represent the concept in abstraction (which makes little sense).

I think the original author's statement about simplification and the problems of trying to represent the concept in abstraction is the most telling... with that, I think he's right. There is such a thing as putting too much abstraction into a concept, and I think this is a good example - *especially* as it comes to type.

My guess is that most people who would put family low on the list are younger adults who don't have particularly good relationships with their parents/siblings - *and who don't have kids themselves*. I'll bet just about every parent, regardless of type, would put family right near or at the top (I'm not a parent myself), and I suspect that most people would have individual pretty close behind.

For me, I'd say that the only general statement I could make on this is:

Family (and friends)/Individual (these aren't easy to separate, actually) > World/Community (which to me is just a difference in scale, and not one of concept). And even saying that, it doesn't mean that I *don't* place importance on World/Community. It's just that my thoughts tend to go out to those I know and love first.

I don't think I'm at all unusual in that.

Frank

Family-individual-world-community

before I had a wife and kids of my own it would have been

Individual-world-family-community.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
1. Family & Community
2. Individual
3. World

I can't pick between family and friends, they're kinda one in the same to me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why would you guys put family last?

Because it just doesn't seem that relevant. My families views on most issues disagree with mine, and I don't see family ties as important enough to maintain despite severe political and emotional processing differences. I care about what things mean on a broader scale, and I'm not willing to brush that aside for comfortable relations with my family.

Well, I suppose it really depends on what you mean by family. If you literally mean blood relatives and in-laws (that's what I assumed), then it's very low.

But if you mean people that you get to know very well, and come to care about, rely and depend on over time, the way most people do with their families... then I would put it higher on the list. Basically, it depends on whether you mean "family" in a literal/physical or abstract sense.

I don't think it's fair that I should be expected to value someone more than anyone else I meet just because they're related to me, and regardless of what kind of people they are or what kind of person I am. It seems like a terrible and unfair idea.

If I do happen to value a family member, it's because of who they are, and not just "because they're family." That's a stupid and insufficient reason to care about someone, in my opinion. You should care about and value/respect them for who they are as a person, or not at all.

Does that make sense?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Because it just doesn't seem that relevant. My families views on most issues disagree with mine, and I don't see family ties as important enough to maintain despite severe political and emotional processing differences. I care about what things mean on a broader scale, and I'm not willing to brush that aside for comfortable relations with my family.

Well, I suppose it really depends on what you mean by family. If you literally mean blood relatives and in-laws (that's what I assumed), then it's very low.

But if you mean people that you get to know very well, and come to care about, rely and depend on over time, the way most people do with their families... then I would put it higher on the list. Basically, it depends on whether you mean "family" in a literal/physical or abstract sense.

I don't think it's fair that I should be expected to value someone more than anyone else I meet just because they're related to me, and regardless of what kind of people they are or what kind of person I am. It seems like a terrible and unfair idea.

If I do happen to value a family member, it's because of who they are, and not just "because they're family." That's a stupid and insufficient reason to care about someone, in my opinion. You should care about and value/respect them for who they are as a person, or not at all.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does, actually. I am very close to my family and would die for each and everyone in my immediate family. I think immediate family is what this is talking about, because I don't know how relevant uncles and cousins and nephews would be, for instance.

But no worries, it comes with perspective, and I'm open. :)