• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI stereotypes

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What MBTI stereotypes are there?
Why are they there?
How true are they?

SJ's are seen as rigid and closed minded. However, I would say they are traditional, so if the tradition is to be flexible and open minded, then they will become such. They simply have a strong desire for rules and familiarality, because of this it takes a little more time for them to change their views.

SFP's are seen as unintellectual. I would try and counter, but all my real life experiences have supported this. I would say that they have a different kind of intellect, but I'm too tired after a long lecture to feel about that.

STP's are seen as steel hearted. This is how I see them anyway, is this true?

NF's are seen as whiney, facist, and preachy. Never met an NF like this, they're probably the most accepting of people, especially NFP's. I've always seen them as the people who find it awkward to talk about their views and morals. Maybe that's just INF's.

NT's are seen as cold hearted and cynical. To which I say :hug: . Remember when you pretended to be hurt as a kid to get attention? They're the ones who never grow out of it. Seriously though, I don't know many NT's (2), but one of them is very caring and considerate (to people he thinks are intelligent anyway), the other is all cute trying to pretend he doesn't have emotions, which leads to him not realising when his feelings are showing. During these moments everyone knows exactly how he's going to act, even though he doesn't.

The best way to see types for what they are, is probably to get the common denominators they share. I've seen loud and violent ISFP's, and non-judgemental, uncontrolling ENTJ's. It's going to be difficult.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I hate that INFJ's can be stereotyped as manipulative. I also tend to hate the overly emotional stereotype of the NF temperment. It seems to be more of a Fi emotional stereotype and INFJ's don't tend to use Fi as much.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
its like this: if my NF girlfriend isnt overly metaphorical and emotional about who's going to fetch pizza, i suspect her of being S :devil:

oh yes - i also hate how entps can be sterotyped as manipulative :rolleyes:

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm supposed to be:
- a gossip-lover
- very social
- boring
- inflexible
- clingy
- close-minded
- overly religious
- a sheep
- lots more

But I don't think I am. Sometimes I don't wanna believe that I'm actually ESFJ for all of the stereotype crap that comes with it.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
The ones about which types are usually happy and which usually aren't, do correlate with my experience to some extent, but there are very notable exceptions. I have known a neurotic and often ostracised ENFP, and an ISTJ who was one of the most consistently sunny people I've met. :)

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
but stereotyping creates confirmation bias.

"you must be an ENFP because you are enthusiatic and ENFPs are enthusiatic" etc

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
ENFJ:
manipulative
overbearing/ domineering
overly emotional
illogical
arrogant
(there are more but that's off the top of my head)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
engaging, yet thoughtful
practical, yet imaginative
fun to be around, although sometimes needs to be alone
likes music
creative
can focus on tasks when appropriate, yet relaxed at other times
enjoys games
Flexible but fairly consistent
Tries to honor promises when possible

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
engaging, yet thoughtful
practical, yet imaginative
fun to be around, although sometimes needs to be alone
likes music
creative
can focus on tasks when appropriate, yet relaxed at other times
enjoys games
Flexible but fairly consistent
Tries to honor promises when possible

Those statements sound a bit contradictory... and most people would see themselves that way. It sounds like you're exploiting the Forer effect.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those statements sound a bit contradictory... and most people would see themselves that way. It sounds like you're exploiting the Forer effect.

:humph: Stop spoiling my fun!

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
What MBTI stereotypes are there?
Why are they there?
How true are they?

SJ's are seen as rigid and closed minded. However, I would say they are traditional, so if the tradition is to be flexible and open minded, then they will become such. They simply have a strong desire for rules and familiarality, because of this it takes a little more time for them to change their views.

SFP's are seen as unintellectual. I would try and counter, but all my real life experiences have supported this. I would say that they have a different kind of intellect, but I'm too tired after a long lecture to feel about that.

NF's are seen as whiney, facist, and preachy. Never met an NF like this, they're probably the most accepting of people, especially NFP's. I've always seen them as the people who find it awkward to talk about their views and morals. Maybe that's just INF's.

NT's are seen as cold hearted and cynical. To which I say :hug: . Remember when you pretended to be hurt as a kid to get attention? They're the ones who never grow out of it. Seriously though, I don't know many NT's (2), but one of them is very caring and considerate (to people he thinks are intelligent anyway), the other is all cute trying to pretend he doesn't have emotions, which leads to him not realising when his feelings are showing. During these moments everyone knows exactly how he's going to act, even though he doesn't.

The best way to see types for what they are, is probably to get the common denominators they share. I've seen loud and violent ISFP's, and non-judgemental, uncontrolling ENTJ's. It's going to be difficult.

SJ's: I'm pretty sure most that i know don't fit that stereotype
SFPS:I don't know what 'real life experience' you have with SFP's, but I know several who are highly intelligent- and I do believe that some (as with NFPs) go into the sciences. I can also think of a few politicians I admire who might be SFP's.

As for theorists, and 'trying to pretend not to have feeling' some people who do That actually are Dominant introverted feeling types. (introverted feeling his soooo discouraged by U.S culture)

STP's are not steel hearted. No one is truly steel-hearted, only unhealthy people might temporarily seem that way.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't remember making this thread:huh:

What was I doing the day this was made? *checks diary*, hmm I really should start keeping a diary.

I swear I didn't, and wouldn't post something like this.

I disagree with all of it:shock:

Okay maybe not the STP part 100%, but at least 60%.

What the hell is going on?!?!

Stereotypes? There are loads, but they differ with each individual, around MBTI types anyway. Now don't make any more stupid threads....Idiot.
I think someone is drugging me in my sleep...

alicia91

Stereotype - That S's are dumber and can't comprehend complicated theoretical information.

Truth - I know a LOT of S's and all of us can indeed understand more abstract info - we just aren't as interested.

MEC

:)I can only speak for myself, here's one SJ that hates rules :steam:but I am borderline SP:doh: so now I am unintelligent ;)not

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP

Not exactly...it's more of a steel exterior. I feel most emotions (for some reason, enthusiasm is just not really something I have at all), it's just that what shows up externally operates in a very narrow range.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All ENFJs are Jim Jones cult leaders in the making!

I'll have you lot understand that I would NEVER set up my compound in a jungle! That's so bourgeois!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
:)I can only speak for myself, here's one SJ that hates rules :steam:but I am borderline SP:doh: so now I am unintelligent ;)not

I only like rules that are legitimately formulated, equally enforced, and necessary for the endeavor to function. Then I make sure they are followed. But right vs. wrong is more important than allowed vs. unallowed.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I only like rules that are legitimately formulated, equally enforced, and necessary for the endeavor to function. Then I make sure they are followed. But right vs. wrong is more important than allowed vs. unallowed.

Very apt (and interesting) way of putting it.

MEC

:)I couldn't agree more.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hey, thanks for the positive feedback. I guess it's the constitutional scholar in me. :) Rules are important to society, but freedom is paramount.