• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI stereotypes

EvVieNiamhNyx

MBTI Type
INF~
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think is most common stereotype in MBTI about your type, or the other ones?
Explain where the stereotype comes from, in your opinion.
(I'm a peace and love promoter in case you haven't noticed)
and...
Start!:D

INFJ: The INFJ 'stare' or 'face' which I may kind of have, but I'm sure every type has a contemplative face. I just think it is over done for INFJ 'oh, they see right through you!' 'PSYCHICS!' -or psycho, :) I just find when I have that 'face' I'm just not feeling any strong emotions. I'm either thinking on something or just complacent. Contemplative or complacent. Not staring into your soul, watching your doomed future play out before my inner eye. <-that's the raised eyebrow look.
The only reason I figured out I have the 'face' is because I get asked "Whats wrong?" alot, as if I am not happy, or sad when I am feeling neutral, or even happy! So if we say it's an INFJ face, all those people who have the neutral face are INFJ? Lol. I should find my old forum that was about how to deal with people asking whats wrong all the time, due to a natural frown face. (yes it was enough of a occurrence for me to seek out others.)

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

INFJ: The INFJ 'stare' or 'face' which I may kind of have, but I'm sure every type has a contemplative face. I just think it is over done for INFJ 'oh, they see right through you!' 'PSYCHICS!' -or psycho, :) I just find when I have that 'face' I'm just not feeling any strong emotions. I'm either thinking on something or just complacent. Contemplative or complacent. Not staring into your soul, watching your doomed future play out before my inner eye. <-that's the raised eyebrow look.
The only reason I figured out I have the 'face' is because I get asked "Whats wrong?" alot, as if I am not happy, or sad when I am feeling neutral, or even happy! So if we say it's an INFJ face, all those people who have the neutral face are INFJ? Lol. I should find my old forum that was about how to deal with people asking whats wrong all the time, due to a natural frown face. (yes it was enough of a occurrence for me to seek out others.)

EvVieNiamhNyx pls.

L

LadyLazarus

ISTJ- :mellow:/:hideyhole:

ESTJ- :nono:/:rules:

ESFJ-:azdaja:/:hug:

ISFJ- :blush:/:hug:

ESFP- :cakegirl:/:party:

ESTP- :pumpyouup:/:solidarity:

ISTP- :mellow:/:2ar15:

ISFP- :headphne:/:chillpill:

ENFP- :soapbox:/:party2:

ENFJ- :wink:/:heart:

INFJ- :unicorn:/ :jesus:

INFP- :fairy:/:emot-emo:

ENTP-:glasses:/:wizfreak:

INTP-:nerd:/:sage:

ENTJ-:devil:/:burns:

INTJ- :evilgenius:/:reading:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll try movie/TV quotes for some of these -- just the ones I thought of right away:

INTJ:
"How many times do I have to tell you, John? I always have a plan." --Ben Linus, "LOST"

ENFP:
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like, whaaaat?" --Phil Dunphy, "Modern Family"

ESTJ:
“Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules??” --Walter Sobchak, "The Big Lebowski"

Not gonna lie: the "rules" smiley is one of my all-time favorites on the forum. :heart: Then again, when I use it, it's at least 50-75% tongue-in-cheek...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJ:
"How many times do I have to tell you, John? I always have a plan." --Ben Linus, "LOST"
I think I've said something like this to people at work three times over the past week (except none named John) . . .

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJ- :mellow:/:hideyhole:

ESTJ- :nono:/:rules:

ESFJ-:azdaja:/:hug:

ISFJ- :blush:/:hug:

ESFP- :cakegirl:/:party:

ESTP- :pumpyouup:/:solidarity:

ISTP- :mellow:/:2ar15:

ISFP- :headphne:/:chillpill:

ENFP- :soapbox:/:party2:

ENFJ- :wink:/:heart:

INFJ- :unicorn:/ :jesus:

INFP- :fairy:/:emot-emo:

ENTP-:glasses:/:wizfreak:

INTP-:nerd:/:sage:

ENTJ-:devil:/:burns:

INTJ- :evilgenius:/:reading:

Somehow I knew we'd get this one, even before reaching the bottom of the list. At least :reading: is accurate.
[MENTION=20868]LadyLazarus[/MENTION], [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] --

First, [MENTION=20868]LadyLazarus[/MENTION], consider yourself *highly* commended. I particularly applaud the INFP, ENFP, ENTJ, INTJ, INTP.

One little nitpick, and that in keeping with what [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] said.

For INTJ, I might consider substituting

:phantom:
or
:peepwall:
or
:vader1:

in place of

:evilgenius:

Also, for the INTP, may I suggest
:pedantic:

and for the INFP,

:pinkcuffs:

Well done, I say to you, again!

:D

mudcat

MBTI Type
INFP
Lol, stereotypes.

I guess I'm:
-depressed
-chronically misunderstood
-an artist/musician
-a social justice crusader
-submissive
-soft
-detached from reality

lol

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Type profiles are basically profiles of stereotypical people of that type. Ofc some profiles say something about cognitive styles of the type which is beyond stereotypes.

Soph11287

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
?
What MBTI stereotypes are there?
Why are they there?
How true are they?

SJ's are seen as rigid and closed minded. However, I would say they are traditional, so if the tradition is to be flexible and open minded, then they will become such. They simply have a strong desire for rules and familiarality, because of this it takes a little more time for them to change their views.

SFP's are seen as unintellectual. I would try and counter, but all my real life experiences have supported this. I would say that they have a different kind of intellect, but I'm too tired after a long lecture to feel about that.

STP's are seen as steel hearted. This is how I see them anyway, is this true?

NF's are seen as whiney, facist, and preachy. Never met an NF like this, they're probably the most accepting of people, especially NFP's. I've always seen them as the people who find it awkward to talk about their views and morals. Maybe that's just INF's.

NT's are seen as cold hearted and cynical. To which I say :hug: . Remember when you pretended to be hurt as a kid to get attention? They're the ones who never grow out of it. Seriously though, I don't know many NT's (2), but one of them is very caring and considerate (to people he thinks are intelligent anyway), the other is all cute trying to pretend he doesn't have emotions, which leads to him not realising when his feelings are showing. During these moments everyone knows exactly how he's going to act, even though he doesn't.

The best way to see types for what they are, is probably to get the common denominators they share. I've seen loud and violent ISFP's, and non-judgemental, uncontrolling ENTJ's. It's going to be difficult.

I'm an ISFP. I've always struggled in school but not because I wasn't capable, it was hard for me to focus on multiple subjects at once. I prefer to learn one subject at a time. If I feel comfortable around someone I can be very intellectual and a deep thinker. I usually only like talking to people who I can tell have depth to them. I'm attracted to eccentric and unconventional people. I can talk for hours with those types of people. If someone is pretentious and only interested in impressing me that's obvious to me and I usually won't even try speaking to them. I guess thats a little judgmental but whatever. I have unusual ways at looking at things that people find "interesting". I express myself through poetry better.

Thor

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Heh, the MBTI is based on stereotypes, it's stereotypes of functions, because there's currently no scientific means of explaining and telling the difference between various mental functions. Once you see that, you can have alot more fun with the MBTI. Stereotypes can be used to convey real emotions, real experiences, people reveal alot of themselves by stereotyping on themselves and others. There's alot you can begin to poke holes in - for example the idea that one type is driven by feeling, while other's aren't. Everyone needs feelings, without feelings, people would be unable to even get up in the morning. That said the feelings that drive you towards getting up in the morning can be cold, logical feelings, anxiety, worry over losing your job if you don't show up on time, a sense of duty to feed your kids, and not recognized as feelings, even if they are feelings. The real difference between being a thinker and a feeler is if you're driven by the task-positive network, thinking more about life as a question of performance, ability, and competence, or by the default mode network, thinking in terms of wanting to experience, wanting to connect, wanting to make a good impression, wanting to live up to social expectations.